(Topic ID: 57324)

Has the Pinball industry spiraled out of control ?

By stretch2

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Anth
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jpop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 10 years ago

Hello, well if anyone has "rocket" ideas to get cost down, then please call me. going to China is easy but i have a problem sending all that money and jobs out of the country.

in the old days we made 80k-100k games or more per year and amortized all manufacturing over this high production. still profits were low. at Bally (when I started) we were making 500 games a day. this is not happening now in any form. today the biggest maker is probably making 6k-7k games a year (30-40day) I would guess. pinball machines have a lot of parts and custom devices and cost a lot to develop. a tough challenge. it just takes buckets of money.

when i was at zizzle we built the largest pinball factory in history (and secret) with capacity from 5k-8k games a week. yes a week. that model is high volume and low margin. we invested in hard tools and new design/manufacturing/testing methods. ultimately labor was cheaper so having 250 people on the backbox line was easy. but in that case we had to make a 0 defect game that worked. so again all this amortized over high production to get low cost.

So we will all have to work on better pricing, yes, and at least someone is still making "new" games while we come up with solutions. a full hang LE game selling at $3995. is never going to happen unless the margin is like 5%. so we need a happy billionaire to foot all this for the goodness of mankind. Only other option is financing. Buy a new game and pay over 5 years like a car. then it is $179 month for your new LE. this was done in the heyday, but today the credit market is changed. Jpop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jpop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-the-pinball-industry-spiraled-out-of-control?tu=jpop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.