(Topic ID: 15410)

Has the Pinball Arcade video game raised pinball passion and prices? Ex. RBION

By mikehay1

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lesmanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from mikehay1:

I ask this because of some postings I have read on RGP about the 'rise' in fame of RBION. Let me paste some quotes here: "I have seen a lot of demand for RBION but not any listings. There seems to be a gap between the last listings around 2800 and the recent surge in popularity" "You couldn't give this game away 6 months ago." "Just find it hard to believe such sudden popularity in this one. I played it and really had fun with it, just wish I had picked one up in low 2k's when was thinking about it." "I paid $2,000 for mine just over 6 months ago. I wouldn't even think of
selling mine for anything less than $3,000 and I doubt I would sell it even for that. It is better than the vast majority of other Sterns out there and people are finally realizing it."
I ask this because TOTAN and TOM and already very popular pins and RBION was considered a nobody pin by a lot of people until very recently. I purchased a RBION about 6 weeks ago but had been looking for one for over a year after playing it at MGC last year and listening to the very high praise that Terry at PBL gives it. I prefer really challenging player pins (which is why I also own a TSPP and a Tommy) and sold my T2 to get this pin. Yes I know, a no brainer.
This is my question. Is the recent rise (some say rocketing rise) of RBION popularity and prices due to everyone playing pinball arcade and now wants one because of the Halo effect? The 2nd option is that more people are hearing the RBION is very much a challenging players pin that people are moving to as their pinball skills improve or just remember having fun on one in the "wild".
I am very much a option #2 person but what if it is the Halo effect of Pinball Arcade? Should we dread the next pinballs that are released by the company? Would a game like Gilligan's Island suddenly shoot up if Pinball Arcade decided to release it?

I don't think it has hurt. I think most pinball machines are rising in value now though. People realize that they can spend $6,000+ for a new Stern or get 3x the game for 1/3rd the price with an older game.

Personally, I have loved RBION for a long time. I think that a lot of people that wouldn't give the game a chance before are finally giving it a shot. It is definitely a game that needs to be played more than a few times. There is a lot to it and it is not forgiving. I would never sell mine unless someone offered me crazy money for it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canton, TX
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lesmanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-the-pinball-arcade-video-game-raised-pinball-passion-and-prices-ex-rbion?tu=lesmanley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.