Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

movieposter (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The glut of NIB pins will eventually make early DMD pins less desirable

Until the NIB games do something on the playfield better than the DMD-era games, that's not going to happen. The appeal of those games isn't the score display - it's the GAMES. Nothing in the LCD era has upstaged the 90's games yet. A HD color score display doesn't make those games undesirable.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I dunno, Dialed In is like 90s Lawlor WPC on steroids. I think it's the first one to really recapture that magic era.

That's true - and that's mostly due to all the wackiness on the playfield. However, most of those original themed Lawlor games are still "cheap" by pin standards...so they're not really in "competition" with Dialed-In, a $9000 game. I don't see Fun House, Road Show, Whirlwind, Earthshaker, No Good Gofers' value being affected by new games at all.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yes they have. Code is vastly deeper and more complex now than 20+ years ago. Compare WOZ to MM in complexity and diversity, it's not even close.

You missed my point. Does WOZ make MM undesirable? MMr is still in production. My point is sound. Depth doesn't = better. Depth doesn't = better stuff on the playfield. Complex isn't always better. MM has the perfect amount of depth any pinball would need for most to find it super fun. I like "Keith deep" games like LOTR, TSPP, and Hobbit a bit not every game needs that. That depth isn't required to be modern, fun, or good. Games like MM and AFM really do have that perfect sweet spot - easy to pick up, enough nuance to figure out as you go, and fun factor that keeps them relevant 20 years later.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Funhouse has been going up, TAF is out of control and TZ has always been pricey. You don't see
    roadshow going up I guess...

Road Show used to be a $1200-$1800 game. I think it's generally in the $3k's now. Will DI make it drop? Doubt it.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

That is 100% subjective unless your going to say your opinion is objective.

It's subjective and objective. The fact that a 20 year old game is STILL in demand and people still love it OBJECTIVELY shows that what MM does is desirable. You may not like it, or be bored of it....sure...but the fact that they were selling for $20k before the remake & the fact that the remake is still selling shows that MM and it's design/code is loved. AFM, too...similar style & code...the remake is selling great.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

While not everyone will say more and deeper code with more dots, callouts, and music is better than more simple times, it is substantially different.
    If all you were commenting on was complexity of playfields mechanics then I agree with you but I believe complex code is a huge part of modern pinball.
    Personally, I'm preferring simpler games these days myself by and large. But simpler like Quicksilver and Sorcerer.

The problem is, complex code isn't always good. They don't have enough time to program, test, and refine to make something that's complex AND fun. IMO only Keith & Lyman are good at it, and they take forever to do it....everyone else that has attempted "depth" have created games that just have tons of content...which just feels like chopping wood thru endless modes & nothing really ties together, or it's resulted in convoluted math-chess like GOT/SW.

I think TSPP & LOTR are masterpieces of deep code in a character/story context, with Hobbit getting very close...and Metallica and AC/DC are the best deep code games in an eccentric/nuanced context...Stern hasn't outdone themselves with code since Metallica. Aside from those deep games, I'd much rather play something like MM, Tron, IM, BSD, Shadow - any 90's game really...games that have code that matches their design perfectly, offer super fun experiences, relatively easy to understand but challenging to master.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Actually I think it causes the opposite - since NIB games are priced in the stratosphere, it makes cheaper games more appealing, but given the limited supply that causes prices to creep up. Road Show will never get to NIB pricing but it's certainly on an upward trend like all pinball, including EMs.

Exactly - it's all relative. When NIB games were less than $4k, Road Show was less than $2k....as NIB went up, "cheap" became relative. All the games were $600-$1800 when I started collecting are all $2500-$4000 now. That seems BONKERS to me...buuuut, for new collectors, it makes sense compared to the NIB or high end scene. No reason those games will be dropping any time soon. Remember when WOZ was about to hit, people said all DMD games would soon be obsolete and drop in price? LOL ...we KNOW that didn't happen, but funny that people are still expecting it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-the-market-slowed-down-selling-pinball-machines?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.