(Topic ID: 199013)

Has the definition of "restored" changed? What am i missing??

By Oldschool77

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

condition (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beelzeboob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 6 years ago

I'm not sure about "Day 1 new"...but "restored" should mean pretty damn close to that. I always try to make a machine look better than factory when I'm doing a restoration. But I have lines I won't cross. One example is that greyish corrosion you find on the metal of Gottlieb EM games. I can clean and polish all I want, but that stuff seldom goes away. Should I send it out to be chromed? Aw, hell, no! Some people chrome their under-playfield metals, and I really think that's overkill. As long as everything is cleaned up, repainted and redecaled, etc., the game is fully restored. And that means that you stripped the game down to wood and wire. None of this masking off the lower inside half of your cabinet bullshit when you're sanding and painting.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I can usually get that stuff shiny again with a CLR bath followed by metal cleaner and polish and lots of patience. I don't know why I do it that way, seeing how I have access to an industrial tumbler. But it works.

I've tried all that stuff, along with a bench buffer as well. There's just a point where it makes no sense to me to be spending that much time on the stuff under the playfield. Switch replacements, etc....of course. But shiny metal under there doesn't improve the gameplay.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Restored = Looks like factory. Labels should be clean, metal should be plated/polished. All parts (top and bottom) should look new, both cosmetically and mechanically. Electronics should be clean, tidy, and fully functional. Should not have significant omissions like lacks backbox printing, rusty receiver, hacked boards, etc.
    (if you aren't doing full tear-downs and sending stuff out to plating, washing harnesses, etc... you aren't going to be a 'restored' game)

You don't think chrome plating a coil bracket is a little over the top? I'd replace it before I'd plate it...it's cheaper.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beelzeboob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-the-definition-of-restored-changed-what-am-i-missing?tu=beelzeboob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.