(Topic ID: 78652)

Has STLE settled in somewhere in the top 15?

By edwinpblue

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by snaroff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-714.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

It's not a #1 pin........yet. It has everything to be #1 but the code still needs a lot of work for it to climb past the best. Not saying the code is bad, but it's not as good as acdc, LoTR, taf, SM, etc... But it's still early; it has room to go up...and room to go down.

I beg to differ. Code may make it somehwat better over time, but it doesn't have 'everything.' There isn't a whole lot to shoot at in this game; it's a very basic 3-ramp-3-flipper layout with color-changing inserts. Yes, it is basically a fast 'twitch' game with pretty much all shots being low-risk ones that feed back to the flippers, and shots are relatively easy to make with relatively wide openings on the not-so-busy pf. Many people like this simple, 'reflex' type of pin (and bright lights), so it is pretty popular with new buyers.

What you don't seem to see are the many people who dislike this game as being bare-bones. The modes are pretty fungible and boring because there simple is not much variety of shots (changing an insert color doesn't make it a different shot!), and the depth will never be there because you're shooting the same few shots over and over in any mode. The graphics are pretty poor, even for a DMD, comparable to mid-90's animations. Look at BoP2 for an example of what can be done graphically on a DMD. Great game for fast reflex shooting of some basic shots. But not an all-time #1 IMO. Other games have more depth and drawing power because of the variety of shots. The lack of variety in ST(LE) can't be cured with software, if the playfield interest and varied features aren't there.

Many people love ST(LE), many don't. Let's see how the dust settles on this thin game before proclaiming it the "best ever"!

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from GGG:

STLE IMO is a ground breaking game for Stern (as much as I am ashamed to admit), being a long-time B/W snob.

I'm curious: exactly what ground was broken with STLE? (Please don't say "the awesome starfield!" ) Layout? no. Display? no. DMD quality? no. Playfield toys? no. Bright LEDs? not groundbreaking. Innovative modes? no. So, although it is an entertaining package for many (still not for me, admittedly) what is new and great in this game?

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

What is new and innovative about ACDC?
Is the LCD really making WOZ a great game, or is it the rule set and long existing parts that just happen to be put together in a fun package?
Another fine point.

Don't know why you're bringing in ACDC and WOZ references here. Someone posted that STLE was "ground breaking" and I don't see it. Apparently some people think a pin with reasonable quality components (coated siderails, real backglass, fancy speaker covers--and you should expect this stuff at a list price of $8k!), more/brighter LEDs, admittedly poor/cheesy dots, a pared-down playfield with fewer types of shots that is--consequently--faster, and 6 non-innovative modes (with minor variation/progression on them to give "18") that re-use the same limited shots on the pf, qualifies as "ground breaking." I disagree. It is a lot of fun for many people (and, of course, the newest "best ever!" pin), but I see no real innovation here, and barely any progression over other pins. Wake me when Stern breaks new ground in pinball.

ST(LE) is a ot of fun for many people, and that's good for pinball. But Stern hasn't broken any new ground in a while, nor do they feel the need to, apparently. The groundbreakers are JJP, JPOP, Heighway, perhaps Spooky/Ben Heck, etc. Really new/different stuff coming from them, although not on a regular manufacturing schedule, admittedly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-stle-settled-in-somewhere-in-the-top-15?tu=stevenp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.