(Topic ID: 78652)

Has STLE settled in somewhere in the top 15?

By edwinpblue

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by snaroff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-714.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 10 years ago

I finally got to play an STLE last night. Fun pin, but don't think it deserves to be top rated. Pin felt fast, but too easy. Didn't like the "dots"...theme integration was "meh". Much prefer the colored dots and theme integration on my STTNG. PF felt cramped…STTNG feels expansive. Sure, STLE is fast, but a dialed-in, waxed STTNG plays pretty fast/mean. Rules seemed boring (might feel differently with more play). Cabinet bling on the LE is nice…the emblem on the backbox is rich looking (unfortunately, the artwork on the back box is BORING). The PF in general looks much more impressive in person…liked the large inserts. Ship also looked cooler/larger than in pics. The infamous star field projector was underwhelming.

Wouldn't mind owning one, but I have no doubt that it wouldn't replace my other SR classics (AC/DC or STTNG). Just don't see this pin as a long term keeper…too easy…rules aren't compelling.

My 2$.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from sto:

too easy??? wow, tell me , when you made it to "5 year Mission", the final mode!
I have never been there, while I reach "final frontier" on my STTNG (which is very fast too) every 2 maybe 3 games...
Own and love both games, but STLE is way more challenging codewise

I've played STTNG since it was released and I played STLE one night (last night). My evaluation isn't based on reaching wizard modes or completing complex objectives. Most rule sets can't be fully observed in one evening. My comments were simply based on how long I could keep the ball in play and shot difficulty. The only shot I found tight/difficult was the WARP ramp on the left. When compared with other modern Sterns (IM, TRON, AC/DC, MET), ST felt far more forgiving. This isn't necessarily bad, just an observation.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Collecting all the artifacts first then reaching FF fully loaded, is much much more exciting IMO.

Yep, just like collecting all the "gifts" on LOTR...

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from GGG:

I sold my STTNG that I had owned for the last 15 years to make way for STLE with absolutely no regrets. STLE is the best new game I can honestly remember being addicted to since AFM.
I have owned at one time or another at least 80-90% of all system 11's and at least 75% of all WPC's.
So after around 350 STLE games I am totally hooked! In comparison, The only 4 other Stern games I have even liked on par with W/B games are FG, LOTR, RBION & Tron. (Not enough games on ACDC for me yet to add it to add to that list).
There are very cool subtle planned nuances in the geometry of STLE that you only see after playing it a lot and the software as it sits now (which of course still needs some work), is spot on IMO, aside from memory issues when multiple awards are achieved at the same time and of course, mode & wizard progression. I have gotten to Kobayashi Maru MB only about a dozen times and I equate it to the very rewarding wizard mode going to the circus in CV. I also have a feeling there will be much, more on the next software release.
STLE IMO is a ground breaking game for Stern (as much as I am ashamed to admit), being a long-time B/W snob.

I think it's great you love the game, but how can you possibly say it's "ground breaking"? Not trying to be argumentative, but you seem like you've been around pinball for awhile and I'm curious.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

I own 30 pins and have started to sell of half off my collection so I guess I would be stupid to post what I did? These posts DON'T change values. It is always...IMHO.
But I will say that most of the games getting shed by me are Wms./Bly. Others like Avatar LE,FG,Shrek, and Elvis will leave the building but most of the newer Sterns will stay. IJ and TZ are great but most of my friends are not pinheads and have no appreciation for the older games. It will be tough to sell some of the great machines but "it's only pinball".

Hi Paul...I agree enthusiastic comments on gameplay don't change values. From my perspective, bold comments about where a game fits historically are premature…really hard to be objective about the "shiny new toy".

In any event, it's a strong license, great designer, and immediately likable play and appearance. Many of the modern Stern titles are pretty brutal, so designing a game playable by mere-mortals is a nice change of pace.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Don't know why you're bringing in ACDC and WOZ references here. Someone posted that STLE was "ground breaking" and I don't see it. Apparently some people think a pin with reasonable quality components (coated siderails, real backglass, fancy speaker covers--and you should expect this stuff at a list price of $8k!), more/brighter LEDs, admittedly poor/cheesy dots, a pared-down playfield with fewer types of shots that is--consequently--faster, and 6 non-innovative modes (with minor variation/progression on them to give "18") that re-use the same limited shots on the pf, qualifies as "ground breaking." I disagree. It is a lot of fun for many people (and, of course, the newest "best ever!" pin), but I see no real innovation here, and barely any progression over other pins. Wake me when Stern breaks new ground in pinball.
ST(LE) is a ot of fun for many people, and that's good for pinball. But Stern hasn't broken any new ground in a while, nor do they feel the need to, apparently. The groundbreakers are JJP, JPOP, Heighway, perhaps Spooky/Ben Heck, etc. Really new/different stuff coming from them, although not on a regular manufacturing schedule, admittedly.

I totally agree with you…it's really, really hard to qualify this effort as "ground breaking". Granted, the cabinet bling is much nicer than usual (the emblems on the BB, the lit/etched armor and the speaker panel all look "rich"…not cheap), however the play-related software/hardware/display is the same old platform. fwiw, I don't see AC/DC or MET as ground breaking either (yet I really like both of those efforts).

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

STLE is an awesome game. I have really come to like it. It may some day rival ACDC as my personal #1 and I definitely put it in the top ten ever. I have a couple of anecdotal stories too...
My pinball savant friend Pete falls for one game a year and becomes obsessed. He has no idea what pinside is, could care less about fan boy pride, never heard of JJP and doesn't know what stacking or progression are. He just knows a great machine when he plays it. He has scored 55 billion on my AFM. He likes ACDC a lot, but STLE became the new go-to game for him on first play. Of course he put up the GC score on his second game and I now have no chance to ever put up initials until a new software revision is released.
I have a lady friend who comes by for an occasional booty call for the last four years or so. She will rarely play a game or two if she has been drinking enough but loses interest fast. The other night I showed her the new STLE and she played it for two hours straight. She says the colors and the whole package just sucked her in, plus she loves the movies. This was obviously not my plan for the evening, but on the other hand she called just a few days later to see if she could come over again.
So it may not be for everyone. NO GAME IS FOR EVERYONE, but STLE is new and exciting to *me*. One neat advancement on this game is the speaker/display panel. For 30 years we have had reflection from score/DMD displays on the on the playfield glass. Suddenly Stern gets the bright idea to angle the display more towards the player's view a few degrees and bam; no more need for a glare guard! I have been making glare guards for ten years now and for the first time I own a modern machine that doesn't need one! Small change that easily goes unnoticed, but it makes a big difference.

That's an excellent point on the display angle…much appreciated. Now I'd really be happy if they had a software config to dim the BB light when I hit "start" Or simply an on/off switch. This way all glare can be eliminated.

After playing one locally, I've decided to take the plunge. Canceled my preorder, but now that I've seen/played it, I feel much more comfortable with the purchase. Should be here in a couple weeks…not built yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-stle-settled-in-somewhere-in-the-top-15?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.