Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Has Stern succeeded Williams/Bally WPC era of pins?”

• Yes! 57 votes
      18%
    • No! 60 votes
      19%
    • Not even close to WPC 92 votes
      29%
    • Stern is now way above and beyond 26 votes
      8%
    • They both have great games, too close to say. 77 votes
      25%

(312 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

033-iron-maiden (resized).jpg
    circular-logic-600x462 (resized).jpg
    20180425_194915 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spinal.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 5 years ago

Played TSPP and GOTG yesterday for the first time and both were fun. GOTG had LED screen and more but somehow TSPP had way more magic to me with a cohesive package including original music and voices etc. Just had more pinball soul somehow - it's not just about more and more stuff, it's about how It all comes together. WPC had this in spades.

So my point is that even comparing Stern vs Stern I would say they are not necessarily getting better and better over time. And your list of Stern successes backs that up - mostly their older games.

#80 5 years ago

One factor that led to some of the most outstanding games in the '90s is development budget which affected the amount of time allowed to polish a machine to a high standard and the number of custom toys. If you expect to sell 10,000 machines then this is possible but not in today's market.

Becaus of this and other reasons, it's clear to me that there was far more leeway in the '90s to create a fun piece of playable art first and then expect that to sell well rather than what we see mostly today; first ask what will be profitable and then create a (fun) machine that will achieve that goal. Similar approaches at first glance but the end products are a worlds apart (for those who can notice the difference).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spinal.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-stern-succeeded-or-still-second-fiddle-to-williams-and-the-wpc-era?tu=spinal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.