Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Has Stern succeeded Williams/Bally WPC era of pins?”

• Yes! 57 votes
      18%
    • No! 60 votes
      19%
    • Not even close to WPC 92 votes
      29%
    • Stern is now way above and beyond 26 votes
      8%
    • They both have great games, too close to say. 77 votes
      25%

(312 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

033-iron-maiden (resized).jpg
    circular-logic-600x462 (resized).jpg
    20180425_194915 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shacklersrevenge.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

The WPC era was filled with some beloved gems and all around great games, They pumped out a ton in a short span of what, 8 years or so? but has Stern succeeded them?
    When I think WPC, I think TAF, TZ, AFM, STTNG, CC, MB, MM- Big shoes to fill, and when I think Stern I think SM, LOTR, Tron, TSPP, AC/DC, POTC, X-MEN- all equally or beyond imo.

I'm going to say they've succeeded, what's your vote? WPC is still incredible over 20 years later, something about that platform and build quality was magic.

Edit: Just to make this clear, I do not think Stern succeeded in build quality, WPC has that over Stern, especially in the last 5 years. I meant more of gameplay and designs.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from neurokinetik:

I notice you don't mention any Sterns that have been released in the last few years when you are trying to find examples of their best work.

I could! I just pulled games off the top of my head. I wouldn't say a game like Avengers is their finest hour (though I like it personally) Elvis is really good for an older game in their lineup that is often forgotten.

Newer stuff, I would say TWD, MET, Star Trek, and probably Maiden now, but I have yet to play it.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

And yet he put X-Men and POTC in the list...

Both great games, I like either of them as much as any WPC.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I called Williams. No answer.
    I called Stern, they answered.
    Stern succeeded. They kept open when Williams didn't. And kept open in the worst decade of coin op ever.
    LTG : )

Good points, and barely. I heard that Automated Services placed an order for 75 SM back around 2007 that ''kept the lights on'', the rest is history.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, nothing like AFM when Williams put every possible feature into their games.

I think LOTR matches the every possible feature that AFM has.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

AFM has practically no features.
    It probably has the lowest BOM of any game in the last 30 years.
    One big empty playfield. No toys that the ball actually touches.

Features or toys, there are different things. I'm thinking diverters, 3 bank down wall, ship that moves, jumping martians, video mode, etc on AFM. LOTR has diverters, falling tower, balrog, the jump ramp/ring, etc. That's what I was thinking in comparison.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

What gives you the right to speak for every operator, technician, and collector? As a long time collector and operator I can state for the record that you are flat out wrong. The community looks at the classic Bally Williams game through rose colored glasses. They also had a lot of turds which gets lost in an opinion poll. New Sterns are fun and super reliable on location and have substantially fewer issues out of the box than the Bally Williams games had when they were new. So why not just enjoy the best of both worlds with several new Sterns and an MM and AFM remake to boot. These are the good old days people, just enjoy.

The remakes and new Stern technology is great, but the elephant in the room is, what does the future hold for support down the road? How easy will those micro part pcbs be to change out and fix, and at what cost? Nobody knows exactly the shelf life of these beyond right now. Will it become as simple as the support for Early Bally SS with the likes of Rottendog or Alltek 30 years later? I would be surprised if so.

The great thing about WPC is that there is a wealth of information, and any weak points in their designs are well documented. One can easily stock WPC parts and repair the gremlins/problems with ease. This is not the case with newer Stern or remakes.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shacklersrevenge.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-stern-succeeded-or-still-second-fiddle-to-williams-and-the-wpc-era?tu=shacklersrevenge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.