Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Has Stern succeeded Williams/Bally WPC era of pins?”

• Yes! 57 votes
      18%
    • No! 60 votes
      19%
    • Not even close to WPC 92 votes
      29%
    • Stern is now way above and beyond 26 votes
      8%
    • They both have great games, too close to say. 77 votes
      25%

(312 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

033-iron-maiden (resized).jpg
    circular-logic-600x462 (resized).jpg
    20180425_194915 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highvoltage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#57 5 years ago

I think Williams could have kept going and survived if their mission was pinball, but bean counters were in charge and they went where the money was. It's probably good for Stern they did or it may not have been the survivor without having the market to themselves.

I do like Stern games and own a bunch, but I do miss some of the charm and humor of WPC games. Many seem to have caught an intrinsic magic missing today. Newer Stern's can be just as fun to play, but in a different way. From my perspective, Stern is getting there in a "cheaper" way, cashing in on licensed themes, while Williams could get the job done without. In that way, I still tend to think of Stern as second fiddle. Let's see if Stern can catch the magic with an unlicensed theme. We won't have to wait much longer now to find out, and I hope it's a smash, as none of the music themes have caught my full attention. I did however enjoy AC/DC and look forward to try IMDN.

I'm also not totally happy with some of the design evolution at Stern. It's clear software plays a much bigger roll these days, but a lot of the resource now has to go to the LCD display. I think this has hurt pinball evolution in some ways: personally, I'd like to see more programming attention in other areas like the light show. For a while we had full-rgb playfields that were well-utilized, as in Star Trek premium/LE, along with full power flashers. In some sense, I think the SAM platform was the pinnacle. I haven't looked closely at recent releases (maybe it's getting better?), but early Spike machines had some pretty dimly lit inserts with cheap pcb LEDs and flashers without much punch. This could also be a result of cost cutting with the power supply and not having the same versatility there.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The pinball division was not losing money.

Right, didn't mean to suggest otherwise, they just went after a much bigger more lucrative market (where the money was) and didn't care about pinball. Which is also why I suggested they could have survived if they wanted to.

#66 5 years ago

Can you elaborate? I wasn't following pinball much at the time, so I'm going by what I've gathered from documentaries / historians. It sure sounds and looks like it was financial.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highvoltage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-stern-succeeded-or-still-second-fiddle-to-williams-and-the-wpc-era?tu=highvoltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.