(Topic ID: 199793)

Has stern been lying to us about code updates?

By Luckydogg420

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png
stern (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Does anyone remember this thread from over a year ago?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-stern-and-commitment-to-code-releases#post-2809845

So far 2017 doesn’t seem to follow the future plans that were dreamt about back then. This year hasn’t seen many code updates for past games, they have barely kept up with releasing good code for current games.

I’m still waiting for another GoT update to polish it up. Not to mention all of the other games sitting in the wings that are still waiting for something.

It seems to me that Stern was just giving up lip service to the pissed off masses.

Here’s a copy of that post, just to keep it here too

Dear Stern Pinball Fans, Players & Operators,
Stern is absolutely committed to code updates and games with great code on them!
Every day that the factory is open, several of our team members are working on code updates for machines that have already been released. Some of our team members even work on these updates at their own homes out of pure passion for the pinball industry. In 2015 we have been investing in people and have hired several new team members (like me!) to help meet the growing demands for all aspects of the business at Stern. The product development team at Stern has never been more busy!
In 2015 we have released a large amount of updates, Whoa Nellie, Metallica, The Walking Dead and KISS in July, The Walking Dead and KISS again in August, Game of Thrones twice this month, and now WWE. That is 9 code updates released in just 5 months, nearly 2 every 30 days average. This means that there is always a code update around the corner.
We cannot give specific release dates of upcoming code or details on what is being worked on and when because the process is iterative. There are so many factors that dictate what is being worked on, and when, and what.
The games are going to be good out of the box, and then improve from there. This is bearing in mind that the vast majority of people in the world who are stepping up to a machine are playing for 3-5 minutes and earning money for operators. We understand a growing segment of pinball owners keep machines in their homes and for this reason demand enhanced and more complex gameplay. We are happy to satisfy those demands with code updates released on our website.
WWE in particular has been the cause of some discussion recently with the release of Code 1.20, and we can say that the next WWE code update featuring updates and enhancements to game-play and features is already in development. We are so excited for you to play it!
Every Stern game from WWE to Avengers to KISS to The Walking Dead and in between: is fun. We are absolutely committed to making fun games, making quality games, and providing improvements and enhanced functionality with code updates over time.
Thank you.

#2 6 years ago

This has been the patern I see they hire a new PR person and they come up with the same idea more transparent they do it a time or two and then realIze that the artness of the code and shifting priorities and or the difficulty for approval make this an impossible task and the updates stop until then demands start or they hire new again.

#3 6 years ago

Yes, they have been lying (stretching the truth or omitting the truth)about many things.
Not just code.

Cost, reliability, quality, code, play testing,
timeframes, commitment.

And I could post many direct examples of all those things, and more. But it's not worth my time.

Because nothing will change. As long as the $$ keeps flowing.

#4 6 years ago

Would people buy a car if the software was only 75% complete? Front windows roll down but the rear windows have yet to be coded? No, absolutely not. Yet people line up for NiB with seemingly zero regard for code. As long as they keep doing it Stern has zero reasons to change.

#5 6 years ago

Let's be real about this....the games play "as advertised" and there is no guarantee on how deep or complete the code is NIB or at any point in the future. That's the facts when buying pinball.

Now I think any thought of Stern "lying" is a bit of a stretch but they promote their product as if it will get updated code. lets rephrase the question:
DOES STERN OVER PROMISE AND UNDER DELIVER?

#6 6 years ago

I believe that the announcement of code updates was a strategic way for Stern to avoid confrontation and questions at Expo. I enjoy some Stern Pins and have owned four, two of which are keepers. I would love for them to come up with a game that deserves my hard earned money but the last pins felt stripped and were plagued with quality issues and the game play was lackluster at best.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’m still waiting for another GoT update to polish it up. Not to mention all of the other games sitting in the wings that are still waiting for something.

Yep, GoT could be an absolute masterpiece with very little done to it (some score balancing and a few more sound and voice integration and make the castle multiball have an objective and a couple minor fixes and the game is gold). GoT could be the same level as TWD and Met, but Stern has pulled their team off it and forgot about it or so it seems.

#8 6 years ago

stern (resized).jpgstern (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

There's a ton of BS in there, but this line is indefensible: "The games are going to be good out of the box, and then improve from there. "

Their most expensive game ever, Batman '66, was not fun out of the box, and is still in alpha code, 1 year after it was revealed. Literally zero possible, legitimate excuses for that. Zero.

#10 6 years ago

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Let's be real about this....the games play "as advertised" and there is no guarantee on how deep or complete the code is NIB or at any point in the future. That's the facts when buying pinball.
Now I think any thought of Stern "lying" is a bit of a stretch but they promote their product as if it will get updated code. lets rephrase the question:
DOES STERN OVER PROMISE AND UNDER DELIVER?

As more things in this world rely on software, this will more and more be the case in our world - software is impossible to keep on schedule.

#12 6 years ago

Updating code would cut into sterns profits.

Now why in the world would they do that when they sell out new titles sight unseen release after release?

#13 6 years ago

If you have to ask you ain't been paying attention.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's a ton of BS in there, but this line is indefensible: "The games are going to be good out of the box, and then improve from there. "
Their most expensive game ever, Batman '66, was not fun out of the box, and is still in alpha code, 1 year after it was revealed. Literally zero possible, legitimate excuses for that. Zero.

Lyman is on Elvira and not doing BM66 as much. It's a full year away. Rumor is no update on BM66 before Expo. I cannot believe it, but we will know next week. It's just a joke anymore as Stern had the opportunity to crush the competition. Instead, they opened the door and hurt themselves.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Lyman is on Elvira and not doing BM66 as much. It's a full year away. Rumor is no update on BM66 before Expo. I cannot believe it, but we will know next week. It's just a joke anymore as Stern had the opportunity to crush the competition. Instead, they opened the door and hurt themselves.

Prioritizing short term profit over long term brand growth is a strategy used by many companies sadly. Some refer to it as cash cowing.

Quoted from TVP:

Updating code would cut into sterns profits.
Now why in the world would they do that when they sell out new titles sight unseen release after release?

Not all are selling out any longer though. They need to either dispose of the premiums altogether or make the LEs significantly different from the premiums (like Star Trek) and give them a real backglass or something to put some value back in LEs.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Lyman has not been on BM'66 full time since like February, so this is no secret. Gomez was the only one saying he was, but Gomez hasn't been truthful for a long time now, so the smart money just ignored him. I personally believe we'll get an update any day now because I can't imagine them not updating BM'66 before Expo. But I hope if an update isn't released before Expo, they really make Stern's Expo VERY uncomfortable for them. Somehow the customers HAVE to let Stern know this is not acceptable.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Prioritizing short term profit over long term brand growth is a strategy used by many companies sadly. Some refer to it as cash cowing.

Not all are selling out any longer though. They need to either dispose of the premiums altogether or make the LEs significantly different from the premiums (like Star Trek) and give them a real backglass or something to put some value back in LEs.

Even though I hate this as a consumer, it's smart business for Stern. They need to save money for when the market dips, so they don't go out of business. As much as I absolutely hate to admit it, it's entirely possible JJP could go under if the home market gets soft. (damn, this is a good reason for me to invest in a DI!!). AP, DP, Heighway.. forget it, they would be done. It sucks as a consumer, but imagine you had to make a choice between NO new games at all, vs games that are pretty good out of the gate, and maybe maybe maybe you'll get a code update someday.

#18 6 years ago

Do not buy unless you've played it and know that the code is bug free & finished (or finished enough for you). That's the only thing you can do.

#19 6 years ago

I find it difficult to believe that between strangling puppies and mugging little girls on the way to church, Stern would have time to lie to us about code.

They are so deliciously evil!!!!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I find it difficult to believe that between strangling puppies and mugging little girls on the way to church, Stern would have time to lie to us about code.
They are so deliciously evil!!!!

I just heard the next pin is going to have sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads!!

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I just heard the next pin is going to have sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads!!

God, I hope not. Their last crack at that IP was terrible.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

LOL!!

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Lol! Surely poor theme integration that did not create a fantastical world under glass. It did give them a chance to reuse the toilet and poop multiball animation from South Park however.

Speaking of which can anybody tell me why they reused the poop multiball once again for CSI?! Never understood that one.

#24 6 years ago

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Speaking of which can anybody tell me why they reused the poop multiball once again for CSI?! Never understood that one.

Because it's a shit game.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Lol! Surely poor theme integration that did not create a fantastical world under glass.

Actually the theme integration on AP was pretty good. Each shot got you a funny quote....the time machine multiball started with the ball hovering inside the time machine, Dr. Evil says "come, Mini Me!" and another ball shoots out to follow the other one as it goes thru the portal. When you've maxed out the pops, Austin says "and I'm spent".

#27 6 years ago

How about lying about design time.
It honestly took a year to move pops and a ramp 1" and add a scoop. And connect two lanes with a U.

Could be done in CAD in 5 minutes.

Bullshit!
Fuck Stern honestly.
Phoned in.

Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).pngScreenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png

#28 6 years ago

Those left and right ramps almost look like they interchange.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from erak:

How about lying about design time.
It honestly took a year to move pops and a ramp 1" and add a scoop. And connect two lanes with a U.
Could be done in CAD in 5 minutes.

My goodness, I knew they were similar but seeing them side by side like that...wow. It's not a FGY/Shrek type of deal but isn't super far from it...more similar than AFM/MM which shoots very similarly.

#30 6 years ago

Acdc still more similar to T2 but this is all old news

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-stern-been-lying-to-us-about-code-updates?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.