(Topic ID: 97508)

Has ST code update reached WTF status yet?

By pinlawyer

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TomGWI
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-713.jpg
image.jpg
simpsons-mob.jpg
grumpyoldman.jpg
STCodeHardAtWork.jpg
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

As in WhyTF hasn't it dropped yet?

#2 9 years ago

Someone do one of the Hitler video parodies!

#3 9 years ago

Probably making sure it's an epic update. As in one of the better code updates, I hope. If it was quick, I would expect less, but with a large time delay, I expect a lot more.

#4 9 years ago

Check back in a year

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

You know the answer Greg, its Stern and code…….wtf is par for the course

#6 9 years ago

I'm just going to keep patiently waiting. But when its released if its not epic after all the hype about listening to code requests here on pinside, custom speech etc. and how long its taken. I will be pissed. And sell or trade my ST. And not buy another Stern.

I honestly think they are doing better when it comes to communication. But its still not quite enough.
A heads up on facebook or here now and again would be nice.
Let the customers know you are still thinking about them. And are doing your best to get things done to make them happy and the games better.

I remember reading another post that said maybe a pic now and again on Sterns facebook page of them working on ST code would be cool.

Use social media for whats it intended.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I remember reading another post that said maybe a pic now and again on Sterns facebook page of them working on ST code would be cool.

STCodeHardAtWork.jpgSTCodeHardAtWork.jpg

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Probably making sure it's an epic update. As in one of the better code updates, I hope. If it was quick, I would expect less, but with a large time delay, I expect a lot more.

If it was quick, it would be like woz and get bunches of cool updates. Unfortunately, longer doesn't always equal better

#9 9 years ago

I'm a patient man but I'm getting angry now lol. I did hang in there for Metallica though.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

You're a lawyer...SUE SUE SUE!

#11 9 years ago

Don't see the big deal.

This game was released with a bare-bones software package.

A high quality, massive update was released pretty quickly. They did what they had to do.

Now they are taking their time on a finishing touch - like Metallica, which turned out great.

It's manic depressive central around here...just a few months back everyone is gushing at Steve Ritchie for his personal attention in the matter, and now it's lynch mob time.

In summation - you are all insane, or at least bi-polar.

And enough Hitler parodies, those things were played out in 2007.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Someone do one of the Hitler video parodies!

Good call Rob we havnt seen one of those in ages

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Don't see the big deal.
A high quality, massive update was released pretty quickly. They did what they had to do.
Now they are taking their time on a finishing touch - like Spiderman, which turned out great.

FTFY

#14 9 years ago

Patience. Met took a full year.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Good call Rob we havnt seen one of those in ages

Figure ST code is overdue for a Hitler parody!

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Only a year? Hell, back in the day, we had to wait two and a half years for SM to get finished. You damb kids got it easy!

grumpyoldman.jpggrumpyoldman.jpg
#17 9 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

August 2013 to March 2014 was seven months, actually. We'll be there with ST by the end of this month.

#18 9 years ago

Personally - I'm pretty board with the machine as it is. I played it a bunch at first but it just doesn't have good call outs or a lot of different things going on. It's the same old shots over and over. Hit the ramp, hit the ship, hit the ramp...

I dumped a ton of money for a STLE and I'm kind of regretting the decision. I could have got something much more deeper and fun.

Maybe the "eventual" code update will breath new life into it for me or maybe I'll dump it and lose a bunch of money - cause no one seems to want them. I'm pretty disappointed right now. I hear all this talk about haw fast Stern can produce games... big deal... where the heck is the software that make them run?

WOZ was my first NIB and STLE was my second. I got new software for WOZ every couple of months... just saying... it's possible to do. I still don't understand why either of these "Brand New" pins don't have WiFi and auto update features... My refrigerator has WiFi and Pandora... why can't my pin?

Ok - rant over... sorry about that...

#19 9 years ago

The main thing missing in comparing this to STTNG is Warp awards. The consensus seems to be that outside of missions, there's not much to do (sans Super Ramps, which is almost too lucrative). On STTNG, Warp Factors bring in lots of goodies, extra ball or artifact at Warp 8, bonus held at 5 (which works toward extra ball), super spinner, "millions" pops, and of course Warp Factor 9.9 mode. On ST, outside of one shot at an extra ball, you only have add-a-ball at Warp 9.9 (lame), and that's it. Not another chance at an extra ball if you lap 9.9 and restart, no bonus held, spinner awards, nada. When I play STTNG, I often just go for Warp Factors because it's just plain fun trying to hit the Picard Maneuver and plus you get all the rewards. On ST, it's even more fun in that you can do the orbit/ramp combo or the Warp ramp combo, but you're really just wasting your time. For now I play just for the fun shots, and that will keep me happy while I wait, but the code has to address this.

#20 9 years ago

Well, part of the problem here is that you are comparing STTNG - one of the all-time, never-to-be-equaled masterpieces of pinball from the golden age - with ST, which, while good, is just another Stern.

Regardless of code, that's just never gonna be fair.

#21 9 years ago

I'm still waiting patiently and enjoying the pin in the meantime. I'm guessing mid September for new code.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, part of the problem here is that you are comparing STTNG - one of the all-time, never-to-be-equaled masterpieces of pinball from the golden age - with ST, which, while good, is just another Stern.

The problem is that you think that STTNG is better pin. It isn't.

Also, Hitler parodies never get old.

Double whammy for you!

#23 9 years ago

simpsons-mob.jpgsimpsons-mob.jpg

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I actually think we are in the golden age of pinball for the home user. I know a lot of people prefer the old Williams games, but for me they just don't have the same energy. Yes the art is usually better on the older games but I think Stern has really been nailing the overall package. I think an unpopular game like Avatar still is more exciting than STTNG. Don't get me wrong, I love the older games as well. It's just that Stern really has figured out how to make very exciting energy pumping games. I know other collectors who feel the same way.

I totally understand the view that the oldies are the best, but just wanted to put out there that some of us are loving where pinball is right now. Plus it has never been easier for the home user to find parts, mods, playfields, and all the other things that make our games fun to play.

#25 9 years ago

I'm with you... I love the new Sterns and want a new Star Trek. I play the Pro version at the local arcade a couple times every week. I enjoy STTNG a lot but the speed is kind of slower for me. So I can definitely appreciate the design and it was a milestone for the time. Right now my space is kind of limited so I would choose ST over STTNG for the fun factor.

#26 9 years ago

I will have almost all Stern and JJP very soon.

STTNG is awaiting pick up and the others are on the block, except IJ

I Enjoyed the B/W games but, I love to play the new games now.

Kinda like a 67 mustang fastback is the bomb but, I would rather drive a 2015

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If it was quick, it would be like woz and get bunches of cool updates. Unfortunately, longer doesn't always equal better

JJ can do that because they only have the one game to do code for which by the way a lot of people are still waiting for.

Stern are continuously pumping out quality titles. I personally would rather have the game sitting there in my house first and wait for good code whilst playing my new pin rather than a company pumping out code on the one title while me the customer is still waiting for the game.

#28 9 years ago

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Agreed!!!!!

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballpete:

I actually think we are in the golden age of pinball for the home user. I know a lot of people prefer the old Williams games, but for me they just don't have the same energy. Yes the art is usually better on the older games but I think Stern has really been nailing the overall package. I think an unpopular game like Avatar still is more exciting than STTNG. Don't get me wrong, I love the older games as well. It's just that Stern really has figured out how to make very exciting energy pumping games. I know other collectors who feel the same way.
I totally understand the view that the oldies are the best, but just wanted to put out there that some of us are loving where pinball is right now. Plus it has never been easier for the home user to find parts, mods, playfields, and all the other things that make our games fun to play.

Totally agree. Some of our fellow enthusiasts need to think about how blessed we are that we can so easily in this current age of pinball update our machines at will and play and enjoy our games in the meantime. I love the older games too but when sitting next to a shiny new metallica le, Tron, ACDC, ST, or even spiderman they don't really match up anymore not just on gameplay but parts, repairs, mods, and ease of code update. And unfortunately the prices they command make it easier I think for many to make the decision to go a NIB for a similar price as a game that is 20 years old.

#30 9 years ago

perhaps a darth vader parody would do the trick

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Stern are continuously pumping out quality titles.

Personally, I wish they'd pump out new pins slower if it meant that they could write code faster. A lot of ST owners are wondering if the expense of the pin was worth it. I expect it will be, but it is only an expectation at this point founded almost entirely upon my faith in Steve Ritchie. If it does not pan out, it certainly will stop me from buying another NIB new release from Stern. Again, I don't anticipate that happening, but it is entirely possible.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

...just a few months back everyone is gushing at Steve Ritchie for his personal attention in the matter, and now it's lynch mob time.

Thats what I think, part of the problem is. It seemed Stern as a company was turning a new leaf. By responding to customers and addressing code.

But as you said it has now been a few months. And I can't recall any posts on their facebook page or here since that say please be patient its coming. Or showing any pics of anyone working on it.

They have a social media page for a reason. And pay someone to post and monior it.
So why not use it not only for promotions, advertising and contests. But to keep customers continually in the loop.

Unless Pinside is some sort of Stern subsiduary I find it funny (actually embarassed for stern) that good pics or videos of new machines premere here before any of the sites they pay people to monitor and update. Recent Eg. Mustang release, Iron man VE. And recently some code updates as well.

Stern knowns they are releasing unfinished machines. And people that bought them want it eventually finished.
The time it takes(if its good) I dont actually think matters. I would be happy with some heads up along the way though. We have the technology.

My rant is over

#33 9 years ago

I consider myself a patient man, and have been told the same by people that know me well. At this point, I am fed up with the delays that seem to accompany the code on almost all new Stern games. Stern leadership needs to create a higher priority on code releases.

I have been patient enough to wait for code in the past, now I will condition myself to be patient enough to wait until the game is complete to buy it.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballpete:

Agree,

I've owned TZ, IJ, STTNG, TOTAN, CFTBL

They are all gone and all Stern remain, even an older title like PotC has staying power for me.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Agree,
I've owned TZ, IJ, STTNG, TOTAN, CFTBL
They are all gone and all Stern remain, even an older title like PotC has staying power for me.

It's all Stern these days......

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Don't see the big deal.
Now they are taking their time on a finishing touch - like Metallica, which turned out great.

The key difference is that Lyman was lead programmer on Metallica. If Lyman was lead on ST, I don't think any of us would be worried.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

I consider myself a patient man, and have been told the same by people that know me well. At this point, I am fed up with the delays that seem to accompany the code on almost all new Stern games. Stern leadership needs to create a higher priority on code releases.

The priorities for updates hasn't changed. What has changed is the frequency of updates and the approval process.

I see you have a Spidey. Did you buy that new? The code was complete crap when it came out. Some games shipped with software version 0.0. This was due to them promising to have it in theater arcades the day the movie came out, which they did. It took 2 1/2 years to finish it. Things could be a lot worse.

#38 9 years ago

I really like my STLE. I don't play my games all the time so I haven't gotten bored with the code. Steve Ritchie seemed really happy with the game and has expressed a genuine desire to support it with updates. I know he doesn't code, but he does have a voice at Stern. I'm appreciate the frustration Pinlawyer, I'm just not ready to move on. I'm keeping mine for a while.

#39 9 years ago

So am I. Not dumping.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

The priorities for updates hasn't changed. What has changed is the frequency of updates and the approval process.
I see you have a Spidey. Did you buy that new? The code was complete crap when it came out. Some games shipped with software version 0.0. This was due to them promising to have it in theater arcades the day the movie came out, which they did. It took 2 1/2 years to finish it. Things could be a lot worse.

Exactly, code update process needs a higher priority. Overall Company leadership determines priorities for the management within that business--this is how most businesses decide what is done first, second, and so on. Clearly, updating code isn't near the top of the list.

Yeah, I went through the update process with Spidey, and with other games as well. I am simply saying that I am not going to go through it again. I am not selling Star Trek as I like the game, but Stern has lost me as a future NIB customer. I will be content to wait a year or two, and if a future NIB game at that point is complete to my satisfaction, then I will probably buy it. NIB or used, don't care which.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Personally, I wish they'd pump out new pins slower if it meant that they could write code faster. A lot of ST owners are wondering if the expense of the pin was worth it. I expect it will be, but it is only an expectation at this point founded almost entirely upon my faith in Steve Ritchie. If it does not pan out, it certainly will stop me from buying another NIB new release from Stern. Again, I don't anticipate that happening, but it is entirely possible.

Can definitely see your point. Maybe the introduction of making at least one vault a year and 2 new pins instead of three will ease the pressure. Remember though every business including Stern try to cater for their customers (and make a bigger turn over). Many of us including me continually are asking and nagging for the next title. And Stern do listen to us. The balance is small between meeting demands for new product and product quality.

I got 1.3 out of the box which was pretty good, and 1.4 was great. It is already a pretty good code out of the box. I think these days though we continually expect more and better. Which is fair enough but lets remember the code out of the box on this title was pretty darn good.

#42 9 years ago

Made a new Hitler video as requested. Have a giggle.

Note, I own the game. Looking forward to 1.5.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

Made a new Hitler video as requested. Have a giggle.
» YouTube video
Note, I own the game. Looking forward to 1.5.

Very funny!

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Man we never could have seen this coming.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Clearly, updating code isn't near the top of the list.

From a business standpoint it sure doesn't seem that way. And it has got the point where pinsiders are less likely to be interested in a game if a certain programmer isn't working on it. Despite Sterns seemingly 'best efforts' (sarcasm) he still seems to deliver the goods.

Rob

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

YES!!!
They are really slow with updates.
It better be an epic update.
Software isn't a high priority for Stern.
For the price of a new pin, they need timely updates.
Software companies release updates every month.

#47 9 years ago

Maybe they are announcing a new cabinet to go with the new code and that would take up yet more time. It would be just like Stern to do a special Karl Urban cabinet. They could have done lots with the code before they recorded the voices so there really is no reason why it would take this long.

Not very surprised about the long wait, though. My guess is late August, but it is only a wild guess and it could just as well be October or Christmas (feel free to pick a year)

#48 9 years ago

There certainly isn't the angst built up with ST like there was with met. Maybe it hasn't been long enough or maybe it's just that ST at least isn't sitting there like the giant turd that met was while we were waiting. I'm definitely no where near as desperate for a ST update as I was with met... Or this damn android phone that has me going back to correct every other goddam auto correct... C'mon iPhone 6!

#49 9 years ago

Stern is just showing me I shouldn't buy NIB. I should just wait a year to buy one of their games when the code is finished.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Stern is just showing me I shouldn't buy NIB. I should just wait a year to buy one of their games when the code is finished.

That's exactly my approach from now on. Guys with too much money and not enough patience will buy the next Stern NIB then get frustrated when code isn't complete and sell. I saved $1,200 on my STLE by going this route and will continue doing this for new pins that I want.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-st-code-update-reached-wtf-status-yet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.