(Topic ID: 7307)

Has pinball made you less interested in video games?

By captainadam_21

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by JDub1006
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Has your love of pinball made you less interested in video games?”

• Yes (made me less intereseted) 46 votes
      62%
    • No (stayed the same) 18 votes
      24%
    • I never liked video games in the first place 7 votes
      9%
    • I hate them both and am just hear to stare at the boobs Nimplepin posts 3 votes
      4%

(74 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

JNT.jpg
    DSC07517.jpg
    DSC07515.JPG
    DSC07510.jpg
    manbreasts.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

I used to be an avid video game player. I still play a decent amount, more than I should, but not as much as I used to before I started enjoying pinball. I find myself getting bored with my 360 games quicker than I used to. Instead my thoughts drift to finding some quarters and heading down to the bowling alley for a quickie of IM or RBION.

I am curious if this has happened to anyone else.

P.S. I apologize for spelling your name incorrectly Nimble but I don't know how to edit the damn poll!

#2 12 years ago

Not at all. Still love to play console games. Really looking forward to Skyrim, and the new Zelda. And the new Uncharted. And a whole list of games I wanted to play like a year ago, lol

#3 12 years ago

Haven't really played many console games since the Atari 2600, but I've always loved the silverball. I do have a few full size cabinet games I like to play.

#4 12 years ago

I'm in the same boat as you Captain. Starting around March is when I really got pin crazy and my video game playing time has taken a nosedive ever since. I used to play console games practically every day. Now I often go a week or two without playing.

That said, I did pick up Uncharted 3 today and plan to dive in here in the next few minutes.

#5 12 years ago

i worked on the machines last night played a few games then did fire up battlefield 3 on the pc for a few hours as well last night. usually dont play much console stuff anymore just pc or pinball

i got a high end gaming pc i built last winter so it can run anything pretty much

#6 12 years ago

yes. But also some other life things have come up too. I play WAY less console. On xbl I only play HTH or pinball fx2, I have ps3 move stuff to play. Now its all pinball..I bought a machine just to get a fix

#7 12 years ago

Just the opposite, videos got me into pins. All my buddies were into Mame, and I went to California Extreme every year to hang out and play the vids.

Saw a kid playing MM with the castle blowing up. Didn't realize what pins could do. I put a few games on some, and I was hooked.

Now they consider me the "pinball" guy. Feel weird because when I talk to my pin friends, I feel like a dumb shit compared to what they know.

#9 12 years ago

no, but building a new garage has! lol. I did pick up BF3 last week but havnt got a chance to do much with it yet. BF2 actually took away from my pinball habit for a while... loved that game a little too much.

#10 12 years ago

I was just thinking about this the other day...my answer is YES. I love my video games and video pinball is what actually got me into wanting a full sized pincab...and now I am hooked!! I still play my games and recently picked up a copy of FORZA 3 but I find myself picking pinball over video games waaaaaay more when I have free time. And I think more about pinball than my video games...weird because I feel like I am neglecting my consoles....haha. Maybe when Starhawk releases I'll be taken to the other side of video game love.

#11 12 years ago

In the competition for my free time, pinball has pushed video games into a much smaller role. I now cherry pick a few video games like the new Zelda and Uncharted 3 and spend the rest of my game time with pinball. I estimate my pinball time at 10 to 1 over video games at the very least. Pinball lives in the physical world not the virtual one, and so is much more immersive to me.

#12 12 years ago

100% yes, pinball took over my life completely.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Maybe when Starhawk releases I'll be taken to the other side of video game love.

I always had such a blast playing warhawk! I hope they live up to the legacy with starhawk.

#14 12 years ago

I still love video games. However I haven't had the time. I am big into the RPG's like Zelda and such. I tend to get lost in the game and spend all my time playing. So with my 7month old, I really just haven't had the time.

#15 12 years ago

Not really,counting down the days till MW3!

#16 12 years ago

Ssathre....Starhawk looks to be a stellar game....here's hoping!! I played so much warhawk over the last 3 years...I think I wore it out. But I still love the team based action...ctf being my fav. Very addicting if you can get into it.

#17 12 years ago

I would have to say YES! Since i have gotten a few pins, all i do is play them, clean them, look for more pins to buy, talk about pins, etc.... I use to play PS3 about 10 to 15 hours a week. Online Battlefield Bad Company all the time. I got on the other day and my online friends (who don't have pinballs) ask me, where in the world have you been. Not seen you in 3 months. I guess that answers the question. YES!

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Ssathre....Starhawk looks to be a stellar game....here's hoping!! I played so much warhawk over the last 3 years...I think I wore it out. But I still love the team based action...ctf being my fav. Very addicting if you can get into it.

warhawk was the reason a bought a ps3. I was a die hard pc guy but when I saw they were going to come out with a multiplayer warhawk i went to the dark side (console).

#19 12 years ago

It has cut into my video game time considerably! I still play a little but no where the 20+ hours I used to. I would much rather play,clean or tinker with my pins lol. I'm putting LEDs in my SW now do that's been takin up most my free time. That will change tho once Skyrim comes out!!! Can't wait for that game!

#20 12 years ago

Console ONLY gamer here...I think PC gaming is boring...never got into it. Never will. And the ps3 is for the die hard fans of gaming...it has everything I want in an entertainment system...pure love!

#21 12 years ago

I'm a FPS guy at heart and it was really hard to let go of the advantage that a keyboard and mouse gives you. but it wasn't hard to walk away from all the dam hacks and cheaters in the pc world.

#22 12 years ago

maybe pinside is what is cutting into my gaming time? with that said I'm off to play TZ for a bit, it's been feeling neglected lately.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from ssathre:

I did pick up BF3 last week but havnt got a chance to do much with it yet. BF2 actually took away from my pinball habit for a while... loved that game a little too much.

Pinball took me away from BF2. I have got the BF3 and slowed on the pins. I still play at least a few games on each pin when I get home from work and after I "slay" for a little on BF3.

#24 12 years ago

Kind of the other way around for me. The big video game crash of the early-mid-80s got me more interested in pinball, because they weren't making good video games any more. I still play early 1980s video games, mostly emulation on my PS1.

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

100% yes, pinball took over my life completely.

I was going to reply but then saw that tomdotcom already did that for me.

#26 12 years ago

I love pinball for it's randomness, it's beauty, ramps, VUKs, Magnets, Dings, Bells, whistles, etc..
    I love fighting games: Street fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc...

This topics title is like asking "Has Alcohol comsumption made you less interested in Ice Cream?"

Well, yeah.
    Tonight, I can't enjoy Ice Cream with my beer!
    Tommorrow, I can enjoy my Ice Cream.

Seriously, I love pinball and video games. I usually like to switch it up. Pinball for an half hour or so, gaming for 10-20 mins. I can't play for long durations. Do something else - Come back to Pinside.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

I love pinball for it's randomness, it's beauty, ramps, VUKs, Magnets, Dings, Bells, whistles, etc..
    I love fighting games: Street fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc...

This topics title is like asking "Has Alcohol comsumption made you less interested in Ice Cream?"

Well, yeah.
    Tonight, I can't enjoy Ice Cream with my beer!
    Tommorrow, I can enjoy my Ice Cream.

Seriously, I love pinball and video games. I usually like to switch it up. Pinball for an half hour or so, gaming for 10-20 mins. I can't play for long durations. Do something else - Come back to Pinside.

+1 Well said. I enjoy both video games and pinball. I used to play a lot on my PS2 mostly GTA:Vice City and San Andreas, but when I got my PS3, I haven't really played that many games but I do play Madden 12, Gran Turismo 5, and I will get Uncharted 3 and Battlefield 3. I'm not jumping on MW3 yet unless it's good as MW2.

On pinball, on my days off of work, I try to go to public places in my area to play pinball but I am still looking for my first pin. I have a good feeling it will come soon.

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from ssathre:

I'm a FPS guy at heart and it was really hard to let go of the advantage that a keyboard and mouse gives you. but it wasn't hard to walk away from all the dam hacks and cheaters in the pc world.

yeah i hear ya, plan on getting modern warfare 3 as well next week but will prob not be playing it too much, but is something good to do during this damn cold winter LOL

hacks were terrible on MW2 online play

#29 12 years ago

^^

Quick scope/no scope sons a bitches!

#30 12 years ago

I play both. I wax and wane, but I've been into vids pretty hardcore since about the age of 10.

I didn't get into Pins until the early 90s. I was a super crazy Street Fighter player back then, as were all my friends. But after six hours straight of SF2, Twilight Zone managed to grab my interest.

I still love both and don't get people who feel the need to "pick a side". Anyone who does is missing out.

#31 12 years ago

Not really, I love video games and I'm also an MMO player "Final Fantasy XI".

My pins are in my farm house, which is close and I go there almost everyday.

Have not played many video games lately, just yesterday I start playing Gears of War 3.

I play anything whenever I have time

#32 12 years ago

I have a couple consoles but they take valuable pin space. I keep them though because they keep my youngest into working on them. Considering swapping them to a multicade board to save room. I do more with them now for that reason.

#33 12 years ago

I don't play video games at all... I find them boring... not sure if that would be different if I didn't love pinball though... pinball has been the only arcade game I've ever liked... Apart from when Space Invaders came out, I was into that for a while, but pinball was still on top in terms of variety of gameplay and soon won me back... Pinball forever!!

#34 12 years ago

Never.

#35 12 years ago

Since the addiction has gripped me, I went from playing rpg's all the time to slowly moving more and more to williams collection everyday and then going out and seeking out pins where I could.

Then PAPA came along, this made the addiction insane. I can blame them for the whole thing I suppose. Too many machines all in once place. After that I had to have my own, and now I have my own and my console is only for netflix for me.

Maybe the new Pinball arcade coming 2012 will make a difference. I'll bet it's only temporary for me!

#36 12 years ago

I used to play a lot of PC games, but that dwindled before I got into pinball. Since pinball, haven't played any except for the odd flash game someone sends me, simple stuff.

Pinball is a real game, like darts, billiards, and offers natural elements.

#37 12 years ago

I only play video games when my kids beg me to. It's like a chore but maybe that's because I have a wii. I still willingly play williams collection on the wii even though it is missing the three best tables: MM, TOTAN & NGG!

#38 12 years ago

Same here, I played video games my whole life. In the last 5 years I have maybe played a dozen times. Why did pinball rule so supreme?? Because you cannot program a steel ball. No matter how good I get, I can always do better and will always end with the ball draining no matter how well I do. LOVE IT!

#39 12 years ago

When I decided to buy my first, and only pin right now, I decided to get out of the XBOX360 genre completely. In order to get my pin delivered I threw the 360 and all my games in as part of the deal. The seller wanted a higher price on the pin, the 360/games got the deal sealed.

I just wasn't getting any satisfaction from playing the games, and getting rid of them didn't bother me in the least.

I only play one video game on my laptop, the mmo Star Trek Online.

It's been 5 months and I don't miss the 360/games at all.

#40 12 years ago

I like pinball better. I am picking up a Arcade Legends cab to full fill the needs of others and myself to some extent. My boys will love playing Commando, 1942, etc.

#41 12 years ago

Have played my 2600, my TG16, MAME, & way too much Madden
    this week already. But I've also played a lot of pinball. I voted
    'no' however. Since I've gotten back into pinball I just sleep a
    lot less than I used to

#42 12 years ago

Grew up in the videogame age, but I haven't had a console since the first playstation. There was a gap of like four years where I didn't really play anything, and then I found pinball after moving to Portland.

#43 12 years ago

I had wanted to start collecting arcade games for years, but didn't know how to go about it - who to find them from. Finally in 2008 with my new pal CraigsList, I started grabbing some classics.

We've got Asteroids, Donkey Kong, Robotron, PacMan, Tempest, Joust, Gyruss, and Wizard of Wor.

Went to the Super Auction in Atlanta in October 2010, and the wife remembered how much she loved playing pinball as a kid. Fish Tales really hooked her playing that day. Didn't have enough to buy a pin at the auction, but did get Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Started doing research, pinside, ipdb, ebay, craigslist, etc. Tried to figure out a decent game to get for the money. Even just reading about pins and looking them up for the ratings on the different sites got me addicted.

These days its " I wish you'd shut up about pinball for a minute!" -- Told her its all her fault.

Picked up Shadow in April, Fish Tales in June, Traded Shadow for BSD in October. Boy these things get in your blood, huh? I guess its the chase, knowing that if i'd just checked CL a little earlier in the day that JM i've been wanting coulda been mine for $900...

Anyhow, between all the playing, research and now trying to figure out how to shop the games and trying different combinations of LEDs, etc, the arcade games really haven't been turned on much at all. Yeah, we've got an xbox360 also that I used to play more, (Left for Dead 1-2 are awesome), but thats not getting much love these days either.

and i really couldn't be happier with the situation.
    probably the sickness talking...

#44 12 years ago

While we're all off-topic, here's the fighting games stick I built.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35597103@N08/sets/72157614113997631/

#45 12 years ago

I hate them both and am just here to stare at the boobs Nimplepin posts

Ask and you shall recieve!!!

manbreasts.jpgmanbreasts.jpg

However, you might want to be more specific next time "mon capitan"...

As for the thread...
    Pinball has pretty much taken over everything.
    AND it is eating me out of house and home too, if it doesn't get a job soon I am kicking it out of the house- lousy pins!!!

#46 12 years ago

No, stayed the same enjoy both classic video games and silver ball.

Loving my new DK KO multicade!!! TZ from Treasure Cove on the way to keep MM and TAFG company.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dreamhomearcades#p/u/5/aaJDcOo2iNU

DSC07510.jpgDSC07510.jpg DSC07515.JPGDSC07515.JPG DSC07517.jpgDSC07517.jpg

#47 12 years ago

Not sure if pinball is the reason but I don't play video games nearly as much as I used too.

Quoted from NimblePin:

Ask and you shall recieve!!!

Hahaa, thanks for that NP! That is one truth I rather not handle!

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from LITZ:

No, stayed the same enjoy both classic video games and silver ball

I would have to agree. I love the classic arcade games and pinball.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-pinball-made-you-less-interested-in-video-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.