(Topic ID: 102249)

Has NAVL stopped shipping pins?

By ShootForSlrValue

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

034.jpg
    035.jpg
    033.jpg
    032.jpg
    011.jpg
    2014-09-02 17.15.11.jpg
    2014-09-02 17.28.00.jpg
    2014-09-02 17.18.56.jpg
    IMG_9474.JPG
    011.jpg
    010.jpg
    008.jpg
    007.jpg
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

So I just checked with NAVL to get an estimate to have a pin shipped. The woman I spoke to said they don't ship single items like these anymore. Has this changed recently? I didn't see anything about it on their website.

#2 9 years ago

i just received a NAVL shipment last week.

#3 9 years ago

Most people say NAVL but mean STI or specifically Michelle Bianchi.

Michelle Bianchi
    Precision Transportation
    Agent for STI and North American
    1-800-959-8880 ext. 2
    0ffice 630-352-3312
    Cell 630-344-3093
    Fax 866-651-5919
    Email is: [email protected]

#4 9 years ago

I called them today and they gave me a quote right away. I've called one number and no one knew what I was talking about when I told them I needed to ship a pinball. Call this number-800-497-8880 and they'll click with the pinball lingo.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from ShootForSlrValue:

So I just checked with NAVL to get an estimate to have a pin shipped. The woman I spoke to said they don't ship single items like these anymore.

Thats a good thing. You've been warned.
    The pinball community needs a new alternative to shipping pins. I remember back in the days of Dennis Dodel, Erics shipping and a few others that did it across country non stop. The best thing was they treated as if it were there own and you never read about games getting busted up.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#6 9 years ago

Knock on wood I have had good experiences with NAVL/STI shipping thus far.
    I don't think the general area of NAVL will deal with pinballs but Michelle can make arrangements for you. Her contact info is a few posts above.

#7 9 years ago

So would you recommend it, or no? Have they seriously busted games up?

#8 9 years ago

STI/NAVL is dropping off my busted up game tomorrow. This was my 2nd game shipped no problem with the 1st pin. So for me it's been 50/50. Never again!

#9 9 years ago

It should go well if you make the proper arrangements with the seller. Make sure game is wrapped properly and just the way you would want it handled if you were there packing it yourself. Have pics taken, etc etc
    Also depends on the local trucking company being used. I had a good experience but I also spent time making sure all went well within my control.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

The pinball community needs a new alternative to shipping pins. I remember back in the days of Dennis Dodel, Erics shipping and a few others that did it across country non stop. The best thing was they treated as if it were there own and you never read about games getting busted up.

Down around the south here we have Don from Pinballs on the Move who treats them as if it's his own games when he moves them. I believe his website is http://pinballsonthemove.com/

Only drawback is I think he's mostly the southeastern area with an occasional trip northeast. Looks like his next trip covers NC,VA,MD,PA,IN,OH,IL,IA,NE,MI,TN,GA, and other states as needed.

#11 9 years ago

If you can't use Don at Pinballs on the Move, or one of the other specialty pin shippers try Uship. I have shipped with Uship numerous times all with great results. Every time it has been cheaper and faster than STI/NAVL. I have chosen exactly who transported and you know what kind of vehicle they use (i.e. a van or Mercedes Sprinter, trailer, etc). All the people I've used I've been able to discuss upfront before any commitment such things as how to load and secure the machine, etc. The Uship shippers are usually going mostly straight from one place to another as well so the transit time is much less.
    YMMV and I'm sure there are horror stories about Uship, and reasons others have not to use them, but I have stopped calling STI after using them two dozen or more times over the years.

#12 9 years ago

I've discussed moves with Fastenal, who will move things on a pallet from one store to another. I've been tempted, but getting a game to their store and then strapping to a pallet (no lift gate for me) is usually too much hassle.

#13 9 years ago

So would you recommend it, or no? Have they seriously busted games up?

I have shipped three and (again, knock on wood!) no problems thus far. Service has been fine. I have never shipped with anyone other than NAVL/STI, so I can't compare them to anyone else, but for me it was a good experience.

#14 9 years ago

I've shipped a couple dozen games in and out via Michelle/STI over the last few years, no problems.

#15 9 years ago

I've had two great deals with U-ship.

#16 9 years ago

I called NAVL today & was declined service.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

I've discussed moves with Fastenal, who will move things on a pallet from one store to another. I've been tempted, but getting a game to their store and then strapping to a pallet (no lift gate for me) is usually too much hassle.

I've had 3 games shipped with Fastenal, but that was quite awhile ago. Price was unbeatable, but it took major cooperation on the sellers end to make it happen, and it was a bit complicated to set up.

#18 9 years ago

I work at uShip, and have helped a few people move arcade games and pins with no problems. If you ever want to check out uShip just send me a PM. I can help you list it and get bids from the right carriers, or just run a quote for you to see what it would cost and with which carrier.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Thats a good thing. You've been warned.
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

And then there was Randy Buffalo......

#20 9 years ago

NAVL / STI is not what it used to be. They dropped a HUO RFM through several walls in our home damaging the pin. As a result internal damage ensued. Due to the fact it was "concealed", it was their arbitrary determination that the damage was not covered under the additional insurance I took out. They simply sub contract out to local carriers who care less about delivering in pristine condition. Finding a successful alternative is a challenge.

#21 9 years ago

I shipped with Don a few months ago, great exeperience. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I shipped with Don a few months ago, great exeperience. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

+ 1

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

NAVL / STI is not what it used to be. They dropped a HUO RFM through several walls in our home damaging the pin.

I know what you are intending, but my brain keeps wanting to see you living in a house on a 90 degree angle. They drop the pin and it starts falling through walls.

#24 9 years ago

I've shipped (sent and received) a number of pins with STI. Never had any issues. Legs on, legs off, you name it.
    BUT...definitely not without hiccups. I had one driver come on a semi that didn't fit down my street, another come with a truck with a broken lift gate. And YMMV with their packing abilities. I've always packed pins myself that I ship, but the crews each have their own packing abilities. One guy did a quick wrap of plastic around a machine, but I've also had them wrap a pin in multiple blankets, cardboard corners, etc.

The downside is that they are getting really expensive, and times can be all over the place. I had a pin come from CA to NJ that took 3 days and cost under $350. I also had a pin come from NC to NJ that took 2 weeks and cost almost $500.

I worked with uShip to ship one thing and it was a nightmare. It was to ship a coin pusher to me. The first shipper missed 3 separate pickup windows, and the shipper was not happy about it. The second guy was spot on his pickup time. He came to my place on the day promised, albeit later then his original ETA. I think he came at ten or eleven PM. The coin pusher was buried in his trailer between mattresses, a few motorcycles, and other stuff. Little scary. But he was a standup guy and even helped being it inside my front door.

Not sure if I'd feel comfy using uship for a pin though. I keep hunting for a Tron LE, but I can't feel warm and fuzzy entrusting ANYONE to ship a five figure pin that I don't know personally.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

Down around the south here we have Don from Pinballs on the Move who treats them as if it's his own games when he moves them

Another thumbs up from me for Don. Not only does he treat games gently, but he knows a lot about pinball/arcades. We talked for about an hour when he dropped my machine off, and hearing some of his stories was really cool.

Great guy and i would absolutely use him again.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from LunaStone:

I called NAVL today & was declined service.

I had a similar response once from NAVL where they first stated that they did not ship pins and then after much discussion quoted me several thousand dollars to move one game from from the NYC area to the Chicago area. Eventually I found my way to Michelle at STI, which although associated with NAVL appears to be a separate entity. Have used them a couple of times for shipping.

#27 9 years ago

this was the last one I received via Sti check out this great wrap job.... this is exactly how I received it.

007.jpg007.jpg 008.jpg008.jpg 010.jpg010.jpg 011.jpg011.jpg
    #28 9 years ago

btw I am being sarcastic

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gwaxt72:

this was the last one I received via Sti check out this great wrap job.... this is exactly how I received it.

All depends on the locals. My local crew does a great job wrapping/blanketing. The crew in Mass that was used for some sent to me was more on par with your medieval crew.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gwaxt72:

shitty wrap job but looks undamaged - glad to see that

STTNG on the way to my house via them

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gwaxt72:

Sucks. From my perspective, the seller needs to keep the shipper/packer honest and insist on using some blankets to protect the pin. I would never let a pin be shipped like this (and I use NAVL exclusively).

#32 9 years ago

Just called the number you all provided me with. I was told Michelle hasn't worked there for some time. I did speak to a woman named Shannon and she knew as soon as I asked for Michelle that it was about a coin op game and helped me out. Turns out that the price was too high for me, but they are still doing it.

#33 9 years ago

Pretty recent:

Michelle Bianchi

Precision Transportation Inc

Toll Free 877-432-2646

Direct 630-352-3312

Fax 866-651-5919

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gwaxt72:

007.jpg 225 KB

008.jpg 236 KB

010.jpg 182 KB

011.jpg 172 KB

that pinball trolley looks nice and solid. wheres that from?

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

I worked with uShip to ship one thing and it was a nightmare. It was to ship a coin pusher to me. The first shipper missed 3 separate pickup windows, and the shipper was not happy about it. The second guy was spot on his pickup time. He came to my place on the day promised, albeit later then his original ETA. I think he came at ten or eleven PM. The coin pusher was buried in his trailer between mattresses, a few motorcycles, and other stuff. Little scary. But he was a standup guy and even helped being it inside my front door.
    Not sure if I'd feel comfy using uship for a pin though. I keep hunting for a TRON LE, but I can't feel warm and fuzzy entrusting ANYONE to ship a five figure pin that I don't know personally.

I hate to hear this, sorry about your experience. It's important to remember that uShip does not actually ship anything, we just connect you with a carrier to ship your item. We get a bad rap sometimes when people have issues with the carrier they selected. They say things like "uShip is terrible, they didn't pick up my item on time". But It's like buying a plane ticket online through Priceline.com for American Airlines and your flight gets delayed or canceled. The problem is with American Airlines not Priceline. This is why I say if you are going to use uShip, it is best to contact me first and let me know. I can definitely help you get connected with the right carrier that is reliable and will do a good job (and steer you away from others).

#36 9 years ago

Just called the number you all provided me with. I was told Michelle hasn't worked there for some time. I did speak to a woman named Shannon and she knew as soon as I asked for Michelle that it was about a coin op game and helped me out. Turns out that the price was too high for me, but they are still doing it.

Quoted from btw75:

Pretty recent:
    Michelle Bianchi
    Precision Transportation Inc
    Toll Free 877-432-2646
    Direct 630-352-3312
    Fax 866-651-5919

I just spoke with Michelle yesterday at the above - use that direct number Direct 630-352-3312

#37 9 years ago

STI is not NAVL. Michelle works for a booking agent (Precision Transportation, out of Chicago) that books for STI. When folks are calling NAVL now, they are calling the wrong place. STI was carved out and sold by NAVL in 2011:
    http://www.stidelivers.com/About/InformationHistory.aspx

NAVL will either quote very high prices or not at all. Michelle/STI is who you want. STI will then use sub-contracted local STI crew, and that's where the variations can enter. Here in Mpls/St. Paul, we have Beltmann Group for STI, and they do a fine job.

Always ask for the blanket wrap, corner protector service too. They usually pick the game up and take it to the warehouse/distro center for the full wrapping though.

Runs about $350-$450, depending on distance, how remote the pickup is from the local crew, and current fuel prices. A second game is around $40 more to add, so shipping a pair is a better value.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Sucks. From my perspective, the seller needs to keep the shipper/packer honest and insist on using some blankets to protect the pin. I would never let a pin be shipped like this (and I use NAVL exclusively).

+1 shame on the seller for allowing this game to be loaded up this way... No blankets?? F that crap!
    I am getting ready to ship a pin and believe me it will be blanketed properly (a $20 tip to the driver helps here)

#39 9 years ago

1. Maybe had a blanket on the way to the distribution center, but removed as the blanket belongs to the local truck.
    2. Forklift at distribution center then put the forks under the body and move the game to a transfer point for loading.
    3. The machine is loaded via forklift and may or may not receive a blanket. Game is packed among other loose items and items on a pallets.
    4. The machine is off-loaded at the destination distribution center via forklift and moved to transfer point for local delivery.
    5. Machine is loaded on local delivery truck via forklift.

The only times a machine is man-handled is at originating shippers location loading on the truck and final destination delivery.

If you want to keep blankets on the machine, best to buy them and wrap them on the machine yourself -- originating shipper.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from minnesota13:

1. Maybe had a blanket on the way to the distribution center, but removed as the blanket belongs to the local truck.
    2. Forklift at distribution center then put the forks under the body and move the game to a transfer point for loading.
    3. The machine is loaded via forklift and may or may not receive a blanket. Game is packed among other loose items and items on a pallets.
    4. The machine is off-loaded at the destination distribution center via forklift and moved to transfer point for local delivery.
    5. Machine is loaded on local delivery truck via forklift.
    The only times a machine is man-handled is at originating shippers location loading on the truck and final destination delivery.
    If you want to keep blankets on the machine, best to buy them and wrap them on the machine yourself -- originating shipper.

This is not true, at least in my area. The guys who pick up my games wrap the game in blankets, then cellophane. Why wrap in cellophane if you just going to the distribution center? This, and I have seen pictures of the game as it arrived and it looked identical to as it left, well wrapped. Its on the seller to ensure things like this don't happen.

Treat the game as if it were being shipped to you, and I second the tipping of $20 or so.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

+1 shame on the seller for allowing this game to be loaded up this way... No blankets?? F that crap!
    I am getting ready to ship a pin and believe me it will be blanketed properly (a $20 tip to the driver helps here)

Tipping is goodness, but shouldn't be required to package the pin properly.

I just shipped off a Sopranos (which is half the value of the MM above), and it was packed very well. I was happy they had corner boards on the truck (but I had to tell them to use them). If they didn't, I usually have spares to use.

IMG_9474.JPGIMG_9474.JPG
    #42 9 years ago

I just had a pin delivered on tuesday via sti/navl. It was wrapped by the seller and the best packing I have ever seen for legs on.

2014-09-02 17.28.00.jpg2014-09-02 17.28.00.jpg2014-09-02 17.18.56.jpg2014-09-02 17.18.56.jpg2014-09-02 17.15.11.jpg2014-09-02 17.15.11.jpg

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from Troutfarm:

I just had a pin delivered on tuesday via sti/navl. It was wrapped by the seller and the best packing I have ever seen for legs on.

Nice looking JM Just a word of advice...having the seller pack is good only if the shipper confirms the condition of the pin (just in case you end up filing an insurance claim).

#44 9 years ago

I'll take my chances if the alternative is how that MM got shipped

#45 9 years ago

Not the sellers fault in this s

Quoted from snaroff:Sucks. From my perspective, the seller needs to keep the shipper/packer honest and insist on using some blankets to protect the pin. I would never let a pin be shipped like this (and I use NAVL exclusively).

Not the sellers fault in this situation. I told him that they would do it all, and he had not shipped any pins before. he may have assumed on this was how it was done, or they may wrap it better on the truck

when games are picked up at my house, they are ready for a war, and the local STI guys are awesome corners blankets etc.. BTW no damage at all even with the shit wrap job

#46 9 years ago

just my opinion, but with any shipping of any pin, legs have to come off, and be strapped to the cabinet secured to a pallet. too much vibration through the cabinet otherwise, bouncing around in the back of some truck.
    edit: having said that, ive had a couple of pins delivered with legs on. couple of loose connectors, spinners on playfield out of alignment. whether the travel caused those things, who knows.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

just my opinion, but with any shipping of any pin, legs have to come off, and be strapped to the cabinet secured to a pallet. too much vibration through the cabinet otherwise, bouncing around in the back of some truck.

Stick it on a pallet without legs and all of a sudden you're at the bottom of a 4-pallet stack, supported by your pin.

#48 9 years ago

thought I'd share what it looks like now. my personal MMR

011.jpg011.jpg 032.jpg032.jpg 033.jpg033.jpg 035.jpg035.jpg 034.jpg034.jpg
    #49 9 years ago
    Quoted from Code_Blue:

Stick it on a pallet without legs and all of a sudden you're at the bottom of a 4-pallet stack, supported by your pin.

good point. with heavyass stuff on top of your grail pin. bouncin around. ouch

#50 9 years ago

Any know Michelle? Maybe have a pin signed by her?

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-navl-stopped-shipping-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.