Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 148 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by BoJo
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0A26385C-D66D-492C-BB11-A225AA379CD1 (resized).png
    7FE0A4A1-D656-4A55-9653-EBD471D4E6B2 (resized).png
    download (2) (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Ebay no longer wants the seller that's selling a couple of items a week/month. They want the large businesses that can absorb easily the buyers that pull the "item not as described" (i.e. scammer) complaints. This has been true for at least a decade and they just keep turning the screws to try and get the small sellers to leave.

I stopped selling a few years back. The small amount of money you make after being scalped by Ebay doesn't even cover your time taking photos, uploading, proper packing, trips to the post office, etc.

I'm waiting for the Ebay killer to pop up and wipe them out but so far they seem to be still coasting along on inertia. Its clearly a buyers market there with Ebay boning the sellers harder by the day. Something has to give at some point.

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

People have been predicting the end of ebay for over 15 years, from when they first made paypal mandatory (yes, just like they are doing with their post-paypal system), to when started hiding feedback and usernames, to implementing seller standards, to forcing communication through its abysmal message system, to charging fees inclusive of shipping, to consolidating (or expanding) categories, to forcing more item details... never mind the annual fee increases!
    It's an extremely hostile, abusive relationship. But sellers put up with it because ebay's vast reach makes it a functional monopoly: if you want the biggest possible market exposure for your niche goods you don't waste time elsewhere, you sell on ebay. If you don't want to deal with ebay's bullshit, you can try handling crazies on Craigslist, flakes on Facebook, or nobody on Letgo. Otherwise you're left with your much smaller circle of personal contacts, or maybe a yard sale, flea market or peddler's mall. If you happen to be an expert on particular goods and belong to their dedicated communities, to can try there.
    But in the end, if you're ebaying so much stuff that it becomes a primary source of income, if you were running any other business or alternate venue of that revenue scale you'd have all sorts of other / different expense besides... so, ebay's got you. Because in the end there is a layer of BS, risk, and opportunity cost no matter which avenue your pursue. And with its 20+ year start, ebay's reach and scale is never going to be matched by anyone else: several have tried and all have failed.
    Never mind that Ebay positions itself as an Amazon competitor and has made no secret of this. Small-time yardsalers, collectible traders, and hobby parters are only as valuable as the latest trends as entire categories have come, gone, expanded, and collapsed. So whenever you see an ebay commercial, realize that Ebay is competing with Amazon for consumer revenue but YOU are the unpaid contractor fulfillment providing those goods to consumers. Every time you see banner ads on ebay's homepage promoting the latest hot fad or crazy deal, remember ebay itself is not sourcing, providing or selling a damn thing! Ebay is only running a very profitable front-end and payment processor interface in the guise of a storefront... it has outsourced all inventory, warehousing, shipping, fulfillment, service, and risk to its sellers: it's basically the totem of the "sidegig" economy that's effing up other industries and its shareholders love it for that.
    All that said, for stuff I want rid of without Ebay's shitstream, there's Craigslist and Goodwill. But for most of the things I decide to sell, ebay is still the only place where doing so makes any sense. And it SUCKS! But I don't think anything else will ever be any better because other platforms don't - and won't ever - have the same potential reach for maximum value - even after all the fees and headaches are figured. And some of those fees do have a basis in reality and won't ever go away entirely.
    The most peaceful solution long term, is to not have so much shit to be rid of in the first place...

As a seller, Ebay is dead to me. At one time I rolled over several grand a year. Now Ebay gets nothing due to their greed.

1 week later
    #106 3 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Facebook Marketplace. Please. The ULTIMATE Trojan Horse. The search function is garbage for a reason. They are data mining you and using it to both sell to you directly via ads and to create consumer profiles that they sell to third parties. This is not my tin hat conspiracy. I know someone who works there and his department does exactly that.

Facebook was a data collection scam from day one.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-ebay-finally-done-itself-in-ss-amp1099-sellers?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.