Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 148 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by BoJo
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0A26385C-D66D-492C-BB11-A225AA379CD1 (resized).png
    7FE0A4A1-D656-4A55-9653-EBD471D4E6B2 (resized).png
    download (2) (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bojo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

If you didn’t, all of your listings were pulled down.

I haven't made the switch yet and just checked and all my auctions are still active. Do you have a business account?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

According to the website it didn't say anything about a 1099 and with regards to SS# they claim they need it for the following:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

However I am not sure if I really trust them and my days of selling might be long gone.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

I do have a private account. eBay claims they will not 1099 you unless you surpass their 200 sales/$20,000 mark, but the many issues that arise here are you now have a bank account that literally keeps record of all income from eBay, since this is how you will be paid going forward. If audited, the IRS will not care that you did not reach a $20k threshold, they will be only interested in the additional income that they see in that bank account. Furthermore, I believe this really will effect how much product will be offered on eBay going forward. We have enough problems with identity theft in this world today. Do I really need my SS# and bank information out there on another server that may someday be compromised?

I agree with you and I'm not comfortable giving them my SS# either. I have a separate bank account just for paypal and online stuff so I am not too concerned about a compromise since I typically keep the account at zero. I always wished there would be a legitimate rival to eBay over the years as they kept increasing fees but nobody has ever pulled it off.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Ebay is still a thing?

It's still a significant enough "thing" to allow me to make an extra $6000 over the past few months before the holidays. Say what you want about it however over the past 20 years I've sold close to $88K and without eBay I would never have been able to get the amount of exposure I did to sell many of my items.

eBay is far from perfect and their fee structure sucks as well as their decisions to always side with the buyer but for me it was a small price to pay for how much I was able to sell over the years. And before places like Pinside and the KLOV forums it was a critical asset for me obtaining many of the arcade boards and parts I still have today that were unobtainable at the time since there was really no place else to buy them besides distributors which charged a fortune.

I'm curious what will happen if someone purchases one of my current listing because they were not canceled and according to the message eBay sent me if I don't update my account then I will just lose "your ability to revise or relist existing listings, or create new listings will be disabled." Wonder if they will hold the money hostage and make me upgrade or if it will still go through paypal since they were created before the change. Luckily none of the items I have listed are expensive so it's a chance I am willing to take.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from polyacanthus:

Great news. Ebay was so much better in the 90s when it was consumers AUCTIONING things, before businesses took it over. Maybe next they'll do away with "buy it now."

"Buy it now" has it's advantages and disadvantages. As a buyer you can get lucky if someone lists something lower then market value because you can buy it instead of entering into a bidding war. As a seller it helps a lot of times because people want to buy something now and not wait 7 days for bidding to end. It's the Amazon effect where people are used to buying and getting within a few days. If I am listing something that is common and there are lots on eBay then I will typically just do "buy it now" and allow people to make offers. However if I am listing something rare with hardly any on eBay then I will list as a standard auction a let people get into bidding wars.

I do miss the days of sniping auctions at the last second. It was exciting and a adrenaline rush back before they had bots that automatically did it. Plus there was always the risk if you waited too long then the bid would not go through since you were using dial up internet and bids had a few seconds delay.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

It's not all that different. I've been on it for about 8 months on 3 accounts. You already had to give paypal your SSN and bank info, how's that different than giving it to ebay? Only thing I don't like is managed payments force a transfer at a minimum of weekly. I was used to letting my paypal balance build up for a couple months at a time.

I've been a Paypal member since 2001 and never had to give my SSN. Likely something they required years later.

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

2 weeks later
    #122 3 years ago
    Quoted from ejg10532626:

Ebay sucks.
    Ebay has always sucked.
    Mention of Ebay is often considered in the pinball world to be the absolute worst platform to deal on.
    And this was before these new regs'.

It's far from perfect and has it's flaws however allowed me to make an extra $6000 over the past few months. Say what you want about it but I have sold close to 100K and without eBay I would never have been able to get the amount of exposure I did. I'm not a business and just sell things on the side as a hobby. I don't sell pinball machines on eBay however it helped me acquire many arcade games and parts in the late 90's before places like Pinside existed.

While I don't typically cross the the amount to get a 1099 per year I still am not comfortable with giving them my SS# and think that is why many on here are upset. I did click one of my items that is still running to see if it would let me revise but got the error "Your ability to list new items, relist, and revise listings has been suspended, effective immediately. To resume managing your listings, please sign up now for eBay to manage your payments"

1 month later
    #148 3 years ago
    Quoted from Capinball:

Just came across this article which states reporting changes are coming to every payment service with an amendment in the new covid bill:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2021/03/05/gig-workers-coronavirus-relief-bill-losers-473902

Such a shame. People should be careful what they wish for.

Just noticed eBay now only asks for the last 4 digits of your SS#. I still won't give them mine but thought it was interesting.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bojo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-ebay-finally-done-itself-in-ss-amp1099-sellers?tu=bojo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.