(Topic ID: 43669)

Has anyone used a bead blaster to clean pinparts? Harbor Freight specifically.

By Lovef2k

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by cfh
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

skat_(resized).jpg
    Blaster.jpg
    image_20770.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    DSC02054.JPG
    DSC01941.JPG
    knife.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider browne92.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 11 years ago

Another place you might look for a blasting cabinet is use-enco.com. If you time it right, you can get discounts and free shipping. No affiliation, just satisfied customer.

Bead blasting should clean the parts up nicely. The most important thing to know is if you have enough clean, dry compressed air. Those rascals will go through a ton of compressed air in a hurry. Even if the parts are small and you are patient, you're going to spend a lot of time waiting for the compressor to catch up if you're using a 5 gallon, 3.5 cfm model. I have the 60 gallon, 13 cfm and it does the job nicely.

Also, the guns in those cabinets work by the suction method. The air blowing through the gun sucks the media out of the bottom of the cabinet through a tube (venturie effect) and after being blown on to the work piece, falls back into the bottom of the cabinet. There is some mess, because the seals around the doors aren't perfect. But for the most part, the media is recycled.

Those suction type guns tend to pulse and not shoot a continuous stream of media, again wasting some time and compressed air. Also, they are easy to clog, hence the 'clean dry' air listed above. I've been thinking of getting a pressurized blast pot for mine. That should give a more constant supply of media.

For media, I use glass beads, they won't harm the metal. I think crushed walnut shells work about the same, but I never used them. DON'T use aluminum carbide...I use that to etch glass. You're parts will never be the same. And don't use play sand as there is a hazard of silicosis (sp?). I'm not familiar with soda blasting.

Yes, a shop vac will cut down on the dust, but use the bag filter instead of the foam one, or it will just blow the dust into the air outside the cabinet.

It says that the nozzle is ceramic, so it should last a long time shooting glass beads. Not sure why you're worried about the hose length. You're going to need a supply hose no matter which cabinet you get.

And if you need to buy a compressor for this project, that's a whole other discussion!

HTH's.

#8 11 years ago

Glass beads aren't going to deburr and walnut shells are used for polishing and basic paint removal.

OP said clean, didn't say anything about debur. Glass beads are used because they're remove paint and dirt without any degredation to the metal. If the OP wants to deburr, I guess that's his choice.

We are dealing with steel parts, you can't hurt them with basic blast media.

This is what aluminum oxide will do to stainless steel:

knife.JPGknife.JPG

I wouldn't want to use it on any precision surfaces.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yeah the HF cab is a cheapy but I don't plan to use it very much so buying one for over $1000 isn't in my budget. Do you think adding a air dryer would help? Is there a difference between aluminum carbide and aluminum oxide?

I bought a standup cabinet, and I didn't pay anywhere near that. Wasn't the HF something like this?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=325-0001&PMPXNO=5765762&PARTPG=INLMK3

I don't do a lot of blasting, and my compressor is in the shop (oh, the noise!), so it has a supply of conditioned air, I haven't had a problem with water. I guess it depends on the amount of blasting you're going to do. Maybe start with a good filter/water trap. If that can't handle it, get a dryer later.

Sorry, got my oxides and carbides confused. Aluminum oxide and silicon carbide. Silicon carbide cuts better, but is more spendy.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

It's how I prep all parts.

Not every part gets paint. I wouldn't use it on any smooth surfaces. A scoring reel shaft, for instance. Too rough. I don't know if a modern pinball machine has any precision surfaces in it, but I sure wouldn't use it on something like a press fit bearing race.

Quoted from McCune:

Cylinder heads ! The soda is water soluble so it rinses out of the little places you can't see.

So THAT'S what that's for! I always wondered if my buddy got all the glass beads out of the cylinder head I blasted for him.

#34 11 years ago

Ok, that explains my confusion. The SKU you put on your original post came up as a bench top model.

http://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-42202.html

This is the one I ended up with:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=803-0036&PMPXNO=3009582&PARTPG=INLMK3

Don't remember what I paid, it's been a few years.

Edit: Or at least it's a picture of a benchtop model.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-it:

Yes, I have that bigger blaster (^pictured above^)from HF but like most stuff from there a little upgrade/modify is in order.

Ain't that the truth. And it seems like the problems are not as much in design or material, but assembly.

The guys that do etched glass use what's called a "pass thru" cabinet (tried to find a pic, but no joy). There's a slot on each side for the glass to slide through. The slot is covered up with 'bristles' to keep the media leakage to a minimum. Maybe a smaller cabinet could be modified to do cabinet legs with a 4" hole saw and a couple of cheap paint brushes. Just a thought.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider browne92.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-used-a-bead-blaster-to-clean-pinparts-harbor-freight-specifically?tu=browne92 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.