(Topic ID: 43669)

Has anyone used a bead blaster to clean pinparts? Harbor Freight specifically.

By Lovef2k

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by cfh
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

skat_(resized).jpg
    Blaster.jpg
    image_20770.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    DSC02054.JPG
    DSC01941.JPG
    knife.JPG
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

If you are buying a blaster or blasting cabinet you need to size the gun nozzle to your compressor CFM output. The cheap Harbor Freight cabinet works pretty well with a replacement blast gun and vacuum system. The Harbor freight cabinet is pretty good once set up properly. Replace the junk gun that comes with it for one of these:
    http://www.tptools.com/USA-Cabinet-Gun-and-Pickup-Tube-Upgrade-Kit,2320.html?b=d*8026
    When you put the cabinet together get a couple caulking gun size tubes of RTV silicone and use it on all joints and bolts. Doing this and using a suction system the media stays in the cabinet. A shop vac with one of these hooked up works very good :
    http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD001004&CatId={6EE79B16-EB63-43E7-8F30-1E06240A24A4}
    The dust separator saves the shop vac from being burned up from abrasive or plugged filters. For general blasting glass beads handle most clean up tasks and leaves a satin finish. Its not as aggressive as some other abrasives and that's good. If you want something more abrasive TSC / Tractor supply sells garnet which cuts like aluminum oxide and Black-beauty which is coal slag abrasive.
    You can catch the cabinet on sale and use a 20% off coupon for a better deal.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my cab is already assembled and I don't really feel like breaking it down to add the silicon, even though it would be a huge improvement. Your cab in the pic above looks similar to mine except it looks like yours has a better light. What brand is it? I might just sell mine on CL and find a nicer model. The one from Enco looks nice. I will look into the upgraded gun and separator.
    Rich

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my cab is already assembled and I don't really feel like breaking it down to add the silicon, even though it would be a huge improvement. Your cab in the pic above looks similar to mine except it looks like yours has a better light. What brand is it? I might just sell mine on CL and find a nicer model. The one from Enco looks nice. I will look into the upgraded gun and separator.
    Rich

Mine is a Harbor Freight cabinet.
    With a real blasting gun and nozzle it works great. A vacuum system keeps a lower pressure inside the cabinet and the media is not forced thru the seams as bad without using a vac system.

Also no matter what you use place a piece of regular window screen over the inside blast cabinet window spaced a slight distance off the window and it will last a long time without getting fogged up from blasting.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

Also no matter what you use place a piece of regular window screen over the inside blast cabinet window spaced a slight distance off the window and it will last a long time without getting fogged up from blasting.

Nice tip. Got a pic of that setup? I'd like to add that to mine.

2 years later
    #54 8 years ago

I know this is an old topic, but HF has the monster 40lb sandblast cab on sale right now for $149 through 1/31/2016, limit 5 per person.

#55 8 years ago

Good call Vid! I have one and it's the most versatile tool in the shop. I find new uses for mine all the time.

#56 8 years ago

Skat Blast cab made in USA

skat_(resized).jpgskat_(resized).jpg

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

Skat Blast cab made in USA

skat_(resized).jpg

Made in USA is great!

Top load is really great!

Sadly, you could get 3 of the HF ones for the price of the Skat.

#59 8 years ago

I have a harbor freight red desktop blaster cabinet. use it for removing corrosion from boards. i can fit a system11 board inside with no problem. Nothing much larger though. It is a piece of junk, but i've been using it for probably 10 years without issue. i don't use it daily, but probably weekly.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-used-a-bead-blaster-to-clean-pinparts-harbor-freight-specifically/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.