(Topic ID: 43669)

Has anyone used a bead blaster to clean pinparts? Harbor Freight specifically.

By Lovef2k

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by cfh
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

skat_(resized).jpg
    Blaster.jpg
    image_20770.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    DSC02054.JPG
    DSC01941.JPG
    knife.JPG
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

I'm thinking of buying the HF bead blasting cabinet for cleaning rust and oxidation from pin parts. Their model, 42202 30Lb. capacity, is a mediun sized cab that will allow most parts to fit inside. The reviews for these aren't the best but there's limited mfr's of these for the price. It comes with a lousy 2 foot house and only one nozzle. There's a brand new HF store 10 minutes from me. I went to buy it and they were already out of them
    I guess my main concern is the mess and cost of blasting media compared to any waste. It looks like you can hook up a shop vac to it for the dust.

#2 11 years ago

Another place you might look for a blasting cabinet is use-enco.com. If you time it right, you can get discounts and free shipping. No affiliation, just satisfied customer.

Bead blasting should clean the parts up nicely. The most important thing to know is if you have enough clean, dry compressed air. Those rascals will go through a ton of compressed air in a hurry. Even if the parts are small and you are patient, you're going to spend a lot of time waiting for the compressor to catch up if you're using a 5 gallon, 3.5 cfm model. I have the 60 gallon, 13 cfm and it does the job nicely.

Also, the guns in those cabinets work by the suction method. The air blowing through the gun sucks the media out of the bottom of the cabinet through a tube (venturie effect) and after being blown on to the work piece, falls back into the bottom of the cabinet. There is some mess, because the seals around the doors aren't perfect. But for the most part, the media is recycled.

Those suction type guns tend to pulse and not shoot a continuous stream of media, again wasting some time and compressed air. Also, they are easy to clog, hence the 'clean dry' air listed above. I've been thinking of getting a pressurized blast pot for mine. That should give a more constant supply of media.

For media, I use glass beads, they won't harm the metal. I think crushed walnut shells work about the same, but I never used them. DON'T use aluminum carbide...I use that to etch glass. You're parts will never be the same. And don't use play sand as there is a hazard of silicosis (sp?). I'm not familiar with soda blasting.

Yes, a shop vac will cut down on the dust, but use the bag filter instead of the foam one, or it will just blow the dust into the air outside the cabinet.

It says that the nozzle is ceramic, so it should last a long time shooting glass beads. Not sure why you're worried about the hose length. You're going to need a supply hose no matter which cabinet you get.

And if you need to buy a compressor for this project, that's a whole other discussion!

HTH's.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'm thinking of buying the HF bead blasting cabinet for cleaning rust and oxidation from pin parts. Their model, 42202 30Lb. capacity, is a mediun sized cab that will allow most parts to fit inside. The reviews for these aren't the best but there's limited mfr's of these for the price. It comes with a lousy 2 foot house and only one nozzle. There's a brand new HF store 10 minutes from me. I went to buy it and they were already out of them
    I guess my main concern is the mess and cost of blasting media compared to any waste. It looks like you can hook up a shop vac to it for the dust.

Blastic is messy business. The cabinet doesn't keep it all in it, take it from me. You need to use aluminum oxide as your blast media for deburring.

Then if you plan on doing anything to the parts they need to be bathed after blasting. Before paint, you are going to want to dip them in acetone to remove any trace of the media.

Then you can either powder coat or paint. Paint won't cover the rust if you werent able to remove it all.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from browne92:

Another place you might look for a blasting cabinet is use-enco.com. If you time it right, you can get discounts and free shipping. No affiliation, just satisfied customer.
    Bead blasting should clean the parts up nicely. The most important thing to know is if you have enough clean, dry compressed air. Those rascals will go through a ton of compressed air in a hurry. Even if the parts are small and you are patient, you're going to spend a lot of time waiting for the compressor to catch up if you're using a 5 gallon, 3.5 cfm model. I have the 60 gallon, 13 cfm and it does the job nicely.
    Also, the guns in those cabinets work by the suction method. The air blowing through the gun sucks the media out of the bottom of the cabinet through a tube (venturie effect) and after being blown on to the work piece, falls back into the bottom of the cabinet. There is some mess, because the seals around the doors aren't perfect. But for the most part, the media is recycled.
    Those suction type guns tend to pulse and not shoot a continuous stream of media, again wasting some time and compressed air. Also, they are easy to clog, hence the 'clean dry' air listed above. I've been thinking of getting a pressurized blast pot for mine. That should give a more constant supply of media.
    For media, I use glass beads, they won't harm the metal. I think crushed walnut shells work about the same, but I never used them. DON'T use aluminum carbide...I use that to etch glass. You're parts will never be the same. And don't use play sand as there is a hazard of silicosis (sp?). I'm not familiar with soda blasting.
    Yes, a shop vac will cut down on the dust, but use the bag filter instead of the foam one, or it will just blow the dust into the air outside the cabinet.
    It says that the nozzle is ceramic, so it should last a long time shooting glass beads. Not sure why you're worried about the hose length. You're going to need a supply hose no matter which cabinet you get.
    And if you need to buy a compressor for this project, that's a whole other discussion!
    HTH's.

Glass beads aren't going to deburr and walnut shells are used for polishing and basic paint removal.

If he is going to blast parts aluminum oxide is the only way to go. Then from there they need to be painted or powder coated. We are dealing with steel parts, you can't hurt them with basic blast media.

#5 11 years ago

on a side note. I did pick up a bottle of the pyramid shaped green, resin media for my vibratory tumbler (which is used to remove rust and oxidation) and have used it.

it's much, much, much more noisier (if you're going to run the tumbler in your house). however, due to the pointed ends, it does appear clean concave areas (inside corners for instance) better than the walnut media.

I run this and then the parts through a 2nd bowl with the walnut media

ps
    it's got that lovely resin smell too (thankfully, it's not too strong)

if you're going to look at a blast cabinet, you may want to think twice about the one from HF. my neighbor purchased one last year, and while we've used it a bit, it does leak pretty bad and the design isn't what it should be.

a good blasting cabinet opens from the top, the HF one opens from the side. you need to make sure that you blow all of the media that collects near the right side of the cabinet prior to opening the door with each use, otherwise a lot of the media will come spilling out.

#6 11 years ago

Add some novus 2 to the pyramid media to really get the cleaning going.. novus3/brasso for rust.

#7 11 years ago

alex:
    better than flitz?

#8 11 years ago

Glass beads aren't going to deburr and walnut shells are used for polishing and basic paint removal.

OP said clean, didn't say anything about debur. Glass beads are used because they're remove paint and dirt without any degredation to the metal. If the OP wants to deburr, I guess that's his choice.

We are dealing with steel parts, you can't hurt them with basic blast media.

This is what aluminum oxide will do to stainless steel:

knife.JPGknife.JPG

I wouldn't want to use it on any precision surfaces.

#9 11 years ago

This is a link to a post I started for my Hyperball restoration. All of the parts pictured have been blasted with glass media. I am not blasting the stainless parts. I will sand them and regrain them. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hyperball-resto-project

#10 11 years ago

Guys, thanks for all the info and suggestions. I don't need to deburr anything. Parts like flipper mounting plates, sling parts, or any other mechanical parts, I like to get re-plated in zinc which is what most parts were plated with orginally. The plater likes everything cleaned up before he dips them in the stripper. Any rust or heavy grime will show through the new coating. I usually use steel wool, scotch brite and sand paper to do this but it's time consuming and hard on the hands.

Inside cab parts are mostly affected by rust which is where the blaster would benefit me the most, rusty lock down receivers for example. For small parts, I use walnut in the tumbler and they come out beautiful for the most part.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from 5280wzrd:

This is a link to a post I started for my Hyperball restoration. All of the parts pictured have been blasted with glass media. I am not blasting the stainless parts. I will sand them and regrain them. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hyperball-resto-project

Wow, what a difference. That's the effect that makes the difference right there! So if the parts are zinc or nickel plate, the glass beads won't hurt it?
    Rich

#12 11 years ago

HTH's.

I guess your name is Bill after seeing the knife haha? I can tell you have been down this path before. Yeah the HF cab is a cheapy but I don't plan to use it very much so buying one for over $1000 isn't in my budget. Do you think adding a air dryer would help? Is there a difference between aluminum carbide and aluminum oxide? Here are some Stern parts after being re-plated, F2K.
    Rich

DSC01941.JPGDSC01941.JPG DSC02054.JPGDSC02054.JPG

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

on a side note. I did pick up a bottle of the pyramid shaped green, resin media for my vibratory tumbler (which is used to remove rust and oxidation) and have used it.
    it's much, much, much more noisier (if you're going to run the tumbler in your house). however, due to the pointed ends, it does appear clean concave areas (inside corners for instance) better than the walnut media.
    I run this and then the parts through a 2nd bowl with the walnut media
    ps
    it's got that lovely resin smell too (thankfully, it's not too strong)
    if you're going to look at a blast cabinet, you may want to think twice about the one from HF. my neighbor purchased one last year, and while we've used it a bit, it does leak pretty bad and the design isn't what it should be.
    a good blasting cabinet opens from the top, the HF one opens from the side. you need to make sure that you blow all of the media that collects near the right side of the cabinet prior to opening the door with each use, otherwise a lot of the media will come spilling out.

Thanks JM,
    The reviews I read about the HF were mostly negative for the leakage and poor directions in the manual. You showed me something new, the resin media. Is it good or small stuff? I can always throw the tumbler out in the shed so I won't have to hear it.
    Rich

#14 11 years ago

OP said clean, didn't say anything about debur. Glass beads are used because they're remove paint and dirt without any degredation to the metal. If the OP wants to deburr, I guess that's his choice.

This is what aluminum oxide will do to stainless steel:

I wouldn't want to use it on any precision surfaces.

He said clean RUST. Not some kitchen utensil.

I'm well aware what it does to stainless steel. It's how I prep all parts. If you have surface rust that's one thing but anything that's set in past the surface isn't going to be cleared by glass bead and will continue to grow.

But what do I know, I only do 300 games a year

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#15 11 years ago

I figured I would try both, glass beads and the Aluminum oxide. Depending on the part in question. Lockdown receivers are the hardest for me as they always seem to have rust that leave pits in the metal. The pitting is amplified after the new zinc or nickel coating is applied. The AL would probably be great for those big transformer mounting plates in Bally cabs like EBD, Xenon FG etc. Also on some of the coin door parts.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

He said clean RUST. Not some kitchen utensil.
    I'm well aware what it does to stainless steel. It's how I prep all parts. If you have surface rust that's one thing but anything that's set in past the surface isn't going to be cleared by glass bead and will continue to grow.

Do you do your own powder coating?

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

You are one busy guy Alex, how do you do it all ?

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

Wow, what a difference. That's the effect that makes the difference right there! So if the parts are zinc or nickel plate, the glass beads won't hurt it?
    Rich

You need to be careful with plated parts, if your pressure is too high or the media is too hard, it will strip the plating off.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

You are one busy guy Alex, how do you do it all ?

I could have bet any amount of money you would reply to one of my posts in a trite and condescending manner.

I would ask if you had anything better to do but I already know the answer.

If you ever need pointers on how to be productive, be sure to drop me a line.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from 5280wzrd:

You need to be careful with plated parts, if your pressure is too high or the media is too hard, it will strip the plating off.

If the part is plated and the rust is further than surface the plating isn't salvageable anyway.

#21 11 years ago

I've got two of those blast cabs, one for soda blasting and one for aluminum oxide.

You can switch between media by emptying out the cab, but for $180, I just set up two of them.

The older of the two had the worst directions you have ever seen, but the one I got early last year had good directions and a blister pack of all the nuts/bolts - CLEARLY LABELED.

The door seals better on the new one too, but I had to slightly elongate the latch holes because the latch was so tight the door was warping.

As you assemble, look carefully at all the foam seal around the edges. If you see a gap anywhere two ends meet, caulk it during assembly. Literally let the caulk squeeze out as you tighten the bolts.

The newer one has a single florescent bulb completely sealed, the old one had dual bulbs, but completely exposed.

Don't install the gloves until last, they will be in the way otherwise.

Put wheels on it if you are going to be swapping media all the time. That is a job best done outdoors!

Like a pinball machine, you have to tweak anything from HF to make it work at its best.

#22 11 years ago

We have one of the red HF blasters in our auto shop and use it on a daily basis. It has a shop vac hooked up and we did the extra caulking one we saw all the gaps when assembled. After this, the gun was swapped out for a decent one($70) and we have never have a problem with it. We blast brake caliper brackets in it 10 - 12 times a day.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from 5280wzrd:

Gotchya. I will have the parts stripped and replated anyway. I just need to have them cleaned up and free of rust before bringing them to the plating shop. So if a part I'm doing just needs a light sprucing up without re-plating, I can go easy on it with glass bead. Which tips give the best results for pin parts?

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

We have one of the red HF blasters in our auto shop and use it on a daily basis. It has a shop vac hooked up and we did the extra caulking one we saw all the gaps when assembled. After this, the gun was swapped out for a decent one($70) and we have never have a problem with it. We blast brake caliper brackets in it 10 - 12 times a day.

Thanks, I figured I would need to upgrade the gun tips...

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've got two of those blast cabs, one for soda blasting and one for aluminum oxide.
    You can switch between media by emptying out the cab, but for $180, I just set up two of them.
    The older of the two had the worst directions you have ever seen, but the one I got early last year had good directions and a blister pack of all the nuts/bolts - CLEARLY LABELED.
    The door seals better on the new one too, but I had to slightly elongate the latch holes because the latch was so tight the door was warping.
    As you assemble, look carefully at all the foam seal around the edges. If you see a gap anywhere two ends meet, caulk it during assembly. Literally let the caulk squeeze out as you tighten the bolts.
    The newer one has a single florescent bulb completely sealed, the old one had dual bulbs, but completely exposed.
    Don't install the gloves until last, they will be in the way otherwise.
    Put wheels on it if you are going to be swapping media all the time. That is a job best done outdoors!
    Like a pinball machine, you have to tweak anything from HF to make it work at its best.

Thanks for the assembly tips. I will definitely follow your advice. What is the soda blast used for? I saw it at the HF store and thought is was only for fiberglass?
    Rich

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

What is the soda blast used for

Cylinder heads ! The soda is water soluble so it rinses out of the little places you can't see.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Cylinder heads ! The soda is water soluble so it rinses out of the little places you can't see.

Is it like baking soda?

#28 11 years ago

I use Soda blasting to clean the corrosion from circuit boards.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I use Soda blasting to clean the corrosion from circuit boards.

Hmm, you mean like battery corrosion on MPU's?

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

Hmm, you mean like battery corrosion on MPU's?

Yes, exactly.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yeah the HF cab is a cheapy but I don't plan to use it very much so buying one for over $1000 isn't in my budget. Do you think adding a air dryer would help? Is there a difference between aluminum carbide and aluminum oxide?

I bought a standup cabinet, and I didn't pay anywhere near that. Wasn't the HF something like this?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=325-0001&PMPXNO=5765762&PARTPG=INLMK3

I don't do a lot of blasting, and my compressor is in the shop (oh, the noise!), so it has a supply of conditioned air, I haven't had a problem with water. I guess it depends on the amount of blasting you're going to do. Maybe start with a good filter/water trap. If that can't handle it, get a dryer later.

Sorry, got my oxides and carbides confused. Aluminum oxide and silicon carbide. Silicon carbide cuts better, but is more spendy.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

It's how I prep all parts.

Not every part gets paint. I wouldn't use it on any smooth surfaces. A scoring reel shaft, for instance. Too rough. I don't know if a modern pinball machine has any precision surfaces in it, but I sure wouldn't use it on something like a press fit bearing race.

Quoted from McCune:

So THAT'S what that's for! I always wondered if my buddy got all the glass beads out of the cylinder head I blasted for him.

#32 11 years ago

I bought a standup cabinet, and I didn't pay anywhere near that. Wasn't the HF something like this?

This is the one that is on sale for $180 (or $160 at sidewalk sale) all the time

image_20770.jpgimage_20770.jpg

#33 11 years ago

I would not suggest buying a cab that was too small to put pinball legs into, if you know what I mean...

#34 11 years ago

Ok, that explains my confusion. The SKU you put on your original post came up as a bench top model.

http://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-42202.html

This is the one I ended up with:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=803-0036&PMPXNO=3009582&PARTPG=INLMK3

Don't remember what I paid, it's been a few years.

Edit: Or at least it's a picture of a benchtop model.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from browne92:

This is the one I ended up with:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=803-0036&PMPXNO=3009582&PARTPG=INLMK3

Don't remember what I paid, it's been a few years.

Looks like a nice unit.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This is the one that is on sale for $180 (or $160 at sidewalk sale) all the time

That thing is huge, I don't really have space for it, but I did think I would need it for doing legs. Last week when I was at the HF store, it was on sale for $219, not bad. When I mentioned over $1000 I was referring to industrial grade cabs,
    Rich

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

cost of blasting media

This is good and cheap from your TSC > http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/little-fury-fine-blend-%2830-60%29-blasting-grit-50-lb

For clean air my regulator has the oil vapor filter and for the final filter I use the M-60 >> http://motorguard.com/air_2.html

Yes, I have that bigger blaster (^pictured above^)from HF but like most stuff from there a little upgrade/modify is in order.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-it:

Yes, I have that bigger blaster (^pictured above^)from HF but like most stuff from there a little upgrade/modify is in order.

Ain't that the truth. And it seems like the problems are not as much in design or material, but assembly.

The guys that do etched glass use what's called a "pass thru" cabinet (tried to find a pic, but no joy). There's a slot on each side for the glass to slide through. The slot is covered up with 'bristles' to keep the media leakage to a minimum. Maybe a smaller cabinet could be modified to do cabinet legs with a 4" hole saw and a couple of cheap paint brushes. Just a thought.

1 month later
    #39 10 years ago

I finally assembled the big blast cab from HF. Man, what a job just putting it together! You have to be a contortionist to assemble this beast. It took several hours to assemble. The instructions were very vague, luckily I'm somewhat mechanically inclined so that helped. So basically this thing is a POS. Even with the foam strips in place to prevent leakage of the media, it still managed to spew from several areas. The cap on the bottom of the funnel leaked immediately. There's glass bead all over the glass window and it's hard to see inside while blasting, the built in lamp isn't very bright either. The hose clamps that where placed on the airlines and gun at the factory weren't very tight and one blew off. The hardware is very cheap. I wore a face mask while adding the media and also while blasting. I've been biting and spitting out specs of glass that have been stuck in my teeth somehow most of the day. My first specimen for the blaster was a classic Stern coin door skin. These usually have some rust on the lower inside portion of the door. The blaster did do a nice job getting the rust and the hammered finish paint off.

My advice to anyone that goes this route would be to caulk any open seams with silicone before using it. Add more foam seal on the funnel hatch. The glass window and trim doesn't have a gasket so that should also be addressed. Upgrade the work lamp to something brighter. The bigger the compressor, the better! I bought the HF 21 gallon, oil motor compressor to go with the cab, it did ok but started to run about 2 minutes after starting to blast, it stayed at around 90 psi while running and blasting continuously, but I noticed better results when the pressure was above 110 psi.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

There's glass bead all over the glass window and it's hard to see inside while blasting,

Use a vacuum ^ to extract the dust (wet dry vac)

Quoted from Lovef2k:My advice to anyone that goes this route would be to caulk any open seams with silicone before using it.

I used a ^ butyl type caulk. But an acrylic latex is cheaper alternative too.
    In addition to using a vac if you are not using one is that you are creating a positive pressure which has a tendency to push debris out the seams,adding a vac creates a negative pull which prevents the blow out.
    If you get a smaller nozzle for the blasting gun that will address some of the starving issues you get when using a smaller comp. as the volume of air is much better with a larger comp.
    I have a 7-1/2 80 gal unit that works well in addition to a smaller oil-less 22 gal unit which works ok for small pieces.

Heres a good site for replacement parts -> http://www.tptools.com/Nozzles-Air-Jets-Gaskets.html
    in addition to other info on blasting.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-it:

Use a vacuum ^ to extract the dust (wet dry vac)

I used a ^ butyl type caulk. But an acrylic latex is cheaper alternative too.
    In addition to using a vac if you are not using one is that you are creating a positive pressure which has a tendency to push debris out the seams,adding a vac creates a negative pull which prevents the blow out.
    If you get a smaller nozzle for the blasting gun that will address some of the starving issues you get when using a smaller comp. as the volume of air is much better with a larger comp.
    I have a 7-1/2 80 gal unit that works well in addition to a smaller oil-less 22 gal unit which works ok for small pieces.
    Heres a good site for replacement parts -> http://www.tptools.com/Nozzles-Air-Jets-Gaskets.html
    in addition to other info on blasting.

Hey Pin-it, Thanks for your input. I plan to do mostly small pieces, so I should be okay the compressor, I could never warrant the cost of the compressor you have nor the space for it. It would be nice to have though. Thanks for the tips, I really don't feel like taking the window apart but there's no was around it. I did by a vac to use with it(Ridgid from HD) but the hose doesn't fit the cab outlet. There's also a large port on the back for air, but I have the stopper in it for now. Thanks for the tool link also.
    Rich

#42 10 years ago

My uncle is a mechanic and has that harbor freight blaster. He is restoring an old Willys coupe right now. It works fine for his purposes.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

Thanks for the tips, I really don't feel like taking the window apart but there's no was around it. I did by a vac to use with it(Ridgid from HD) but the hose doesn't fit the cab outlet. There's also a large port on the back for air, but I have the stopper in it for now.

Both of mine came with a glass & a plastic window + some disposable window protectors.

I use only the glass one with a protector on it. I had to use my own foam weather strip to form a window gasket.

The vacuum hose fitting is the standard Craftsman (Shop-Vac) size. You can get step-up or step-down adapters at Sears or Woodcraft.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-W1039-Universal-Reducer/dp/B0000DD2TM/ref=pd_sim_hg_7

You want to un-cork the rear vent, then attach your shop vac to the vacuum port.

Then your views will be clear as you blast & you won't have all the media escaping all over your shop.

If you want to save every bit of media that gets sucked up, without saving the lead paint you strip off; you can have the Vac hose dump into a 5 gallon bucket and then continue on to the Shop-Vac. This will drop the heavier media, but take the lightweight dust.

Don't buy expensive media at Harbor Freight, get a 50 lb bag of Black Beauty for $11 at a real sandblasting joint

http://www.blackbeautyabrasives.com/products/black-beauty-original-abrasives.php

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

I plan to do mostly small pieces, so I should be okay the compressor,

It should be fine as it just takes longer for the comp. to keep up with demand. Just takes more time thats all.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

I did by a vac to use with it(Ridgid from HD) but the hose doesn't fit the cab outlet.

You can buy adapters to fit dust port/hose connection. Duct tape? ^ till you get the adapter. At least you will see.

Some customer review tips/mods you may not have seen. http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-capacity-floor-blast-cabinet-68893.html

My window had foam tape for a dust seal but maybe as time went by they felt that people were using caulking and decided not to include it any more?

Also the instructions on mine are not as vague as the newer one.
    Fyi the port in the back and the side remain in when not using a vac (the back is the intake port-the side is the vac input creating a up/cross draft flow)
    As the manual you have does not describe them as well. (Cryptic chinese translation)

#45 10 years ago

Thanks Vid and Pin-it. I did buy adapters along with vac but for some reason none of them fit the port. Too late on buying the glass bead from HF but I will check out Black Beauty. As for the window, I don't get the additional piece of pexi, except maybe it was added as a safety precaution? Knowing how cheap this thing was, the glass is probably not tempered. The protective film pieces are a joke too. I should have added the extra foam to the window but the bolts that were supplied just about fit without the foam in place but there was enough foam left over to do it. Looks like I'll be taking the window apart, dammit! My next piece to do is a Stern apron. I'm going to strip off the black paint and repaint it with black lacquer. I had a buddy at work make me a set of laminated stickers to replace the artwork.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

Too late on buying the glass bead from HF but I will check out Black Beauty.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/little-fury-fine-blend-%2830-60%29-blasting-grit-50-lb
    You have a TSC near ? its coal slags just like BB but cheaper.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

The protective film pieces are a joke too.

TSC Has them too^

Quoted from Lovef2k:

I did buy adapters along with vac but for some reason none of them fit the port.

Unscrew the port and bring with to size it up ,saves headaches and gas.

#47 10 years ago

As a matter of fact there are some TSC's not too far away from me. I'll check it out. Time to get ready for Allentown,
    Rich

4 months later
    #48 10 years ago

Well it's been 6 months since I started this thread. I bought the HF monster blast cabinet. If anyone is planning on getting one of these for serious pin restoration or just to have in the tool shed well you better have a half a day set aside and a huge ass compressor to run this thing efficiently. This thing leaks like a sive,(spelling?) It comes with a roll of gasket material but not enough IMO. You need to buy an additional tube of silicon to keep the media from running out. The gasket for the view window is a joke. Glass dust was blowing everywhere. Even wearing a dust mask didn't keep me from getting the glass in my mouth. The protective film for the glass limits the view inside tremendously so I took it out. The light sucks, the gloves are too small and one ripped already. I bought the extra warranty protection for $29 and the gloves are NOT covered. The gloves are $22.50 to replace. I was told that if I used the warranty to get new gloves that the warranty would be voided afterwards. WTF?

The cab was difficult to assemble. Too many screws and they were small and hard to hold. Getting near the end you have to put half your body in the cab to reach some of the screws.

of course the compressor I bought is too small for this. It needs a 5 Hp that puts out 12 CFM at 80 psi. That's an $800 compressor. I bought their 21 gal compressor that starts to run about 30 seconds after I start blasting. Oh yeah, it blew one of the hoses too! I think I might just sell this beast on CL and get the small one. I really only wanted the big one to do pin legs and coin doors. Sorry for the rant!

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

Well it's been 6 months since I started this thread. I bought the HF monster blast cabinet. If anyone is planning on getting one of these for serious pin restoration or just to have in the tool shed well you better have a half a day set aside and a huge ass compressor to run this thing efficiently. This thing leaks like a sive,(spelling?) It comes with a roll of gasket material but not enough IMO. You need to buy an additional tube of silicon to keep the media from running out. The gasket for the view window is a joke. Glass dust was blowing everywhere. Even wearing a dust mask didn't keep me from getting the glass in my mouth. The protective film for the glass limits the view inside tremendously so I took it out. The light sucks, the gloves are too small and one ripped already. I bought the extra warranty protection for $29 and the gloves are NOT covered. The gloves are $22.50 to replace. I was told that if I used the warranty to get new gloves that the warranty would be voided afterwards. WTF?

The cab was difficult to assemble. Too many screws and they were small and hard to hold. Getting near the end you have to put half your body in the cab to reach some of the screws.

of course the compressor I bought is too small for this. It needs a 5 Hp that puts out 12 CFM at 80 psi. That's an $800 compressor. I bought their 21 gal compressor that starts to run about 30 seconds after I start blasting. Oh yeah, it blew one of the hoses too! I think I might just sell this beast on CL and get the small one. I really only wanted the big one to do pin legs and coin doors. Sorry for the rant!

Cheap stuff = huge headache!

#50 10 years ago

If you are buying a blaster or blasting cabinet you need to size the gun nozzle to your compressor CFM output. The cheap Harbor Freight cabinet works pretty well with a replacement blast gun and vacuum system. The Harbor freight cabinet is pretty good once set up properly. Replace the junk gun that comes with it for one of these:

http://www.tptools.com/USA-Cabinet-Gun-and-Pickup-Tube-Upgrade-Kit,2320.html?b=d*8026

When you put the cabinet together get a couple caulking gun size tubes of RTV silicone and use it on all joints and bolts. Doing this and using a suction system the media stays in the cabinet. A shop vac with one of these hooked up works very good :

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD001004&CatId={6EE79B16-EB63-43E7-8F30-1E06240A24A4}

The dust separator saves the shop vac from being burned up from abrasive or plugged filters. For general blasting glass beads handle most clean up tasks and leaves a satin finish. Its not as aggressive as some other abrasives and that's good. If you want something more abrasive TSC / Tractor supply sells garnet which cuts like aluminum oxide and Black-beauty which is coal slag abrasive.

You can catch the cabinet on sale and use a 20% off coupon for a better deal. Blaster.jpgBlaster.jpg

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-used-a-bead-blaster-to-clean-pinparts-harbor-freight-specifically and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.