• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Glasto2023_(239_of_468)_(53009325175)_(cropped) (resized).jpg
Axel_Foley (resized).png
IMG_6487 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 months ago

I have never seen them before and they will be in Houston on the 28th. We bought seats more out of curiosity than being huge fans. To get an idea of what I was going to see I started watching YouTube vids and I discovered something, they suck live. What am I missing. What I am seeing is a grossly fat Axle rose who can’t sing and Slash who basically stands there. Am o missing something or is this why the seats were so cheap.

#2 9 months ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I have never seen them before and they will be in Houston on the 28th. We bought seats more out of curiosity than being huge fans. To get an idea of what I was going to see I started watching YouTube vids and I discovered something, they suck live. What am I missing. What I am seeing is a grossly fat Axle rose who can’t sing and Slash who basically stands there. Am o missing something or is this why the seats were so cheap.

Yes.
They suck. What do you expect from grandpa singing about the hard rock life?

Kiss was also terrible when I saw them, and Mötley Crüe was just decent.

Def Leppard opened for Kiss and honestly they were fantastic. I was extremely surprised and their set still stands out in memory.

These were all within the past 10 years

#3 9 months ago

Saw them and Metallica in 1992. Awesome.

#4 9 months ago

You're about 40 years late to the G&R party.

#5 9 months ago

I saw them sometime around 2018. I went in with low expectations and they met my expectations. It was not in my top 20 concerts, but had a fun time. Have you seen any other “past their prime” rock acts live? They were good within that genre.

#6 9 months ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I've seen them 3 times in this iteration, and the first time was probably the best. Not only did the venue have better audio (concerts at Fenway Park all blow for this very reason), but I think they utilized Melissa better.

Problem is that Axl is hit or miss, usually miss. His low parts still sound fine but his highs have a horrible Mickey Mouse sound now. Mr. Brownstone is a great example. Think of the 2nd chorus "We've been dancing..." and it's fine. But then "Owww nah no no" comes and it's like Mickey Mouse was dubbed in.

To offset this the first time I saw them they had Melissa doing a LOT more vocals. If it was a dueling part, Axl would go low, she would go high, and it worked. We all knew what was going on, but it sounded ok so WTF. If it was just a key high part she would back it, almost to act as Axl's autotune.

But last year they barely utilized her at all. GnR just played Fenway Park a few weeks ago and we passed on it. I wanted to go because it's really the Slash and Duff show, and they're great. But since Fenway sucks and since I've seen this tour 3 times now, we were content not going out of our way on a day we were tired.

#7 9 months ago

If you want to listen to GNR music live a better (and far cheaper) option is original drummer Steven Adler's band "Adler's Appetite". I've seen them for free a couple times at the local fair the past few years. Vocally, their singer lead singer sounds far better than what Axl does these days. They are no comparison to 80's/early 90's GNR but compared to 2023 GNR I'd rather save my money.

#8 9 months ago

Saw them in the early 90s 2 or 3 times and again around 2018 on the not in this lifetime tour. The 90s shows were higher energy, Axl flying all over the place and a crazy frontman. But the music was sloppy. Probably because the band was wasted. The recent show the music was not as high energy but more together and honestly sounded better overall. Axl wasn’t much to look at but sang fine. Slash played great even if didn’t move much. It met my expectations.

#9 9 months ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If you want to listen to GNR music live a better (and far cheaper) option is original drummer Steven Adler's band "Adler's Appetite". I've seen them for free a couple times at the local fair the past few years. Vocally, their singer lead singer sounds far better than what Axl does these days.

Slash with Myles Kennedy is always worth a listen too.

#10 9 months ago

I have seen a lot of shows. Not Levi numbers but a lot. Kiss Ban Halen Aerosmith Eagles Sammy Styx Def Leopard AC/DC. ShitI have lost count. I have seen them in the 70s till recently. No they aren’t as good now as they were then but they were all still good but shit, I worry about this one. Oh well. I’ll hope for the best.

#11 9 months ago

Saw them in January '92 with Soundgarden on the Use Your Illusion tour. Incredible show but shitty venue, the Pyramid in Memphis, which is now a Bass Pro Shops megastore.

My problem with seeing them in 2023 isn't so much their age, but that I can no longer tolerate huge, lame arenas & ballparks, which is all they play. Would pay a pretty penny to see them at Metro (capacity 1000) in Chicago, across the street from where they actually played last month, Wrigley Field.

#12 9 months ago

I saw GnR a few weeks ago. I thought they sounded.....good. Not the highest of energy of shows, but they were on stage for 2 hours and 50 minutes. No breaks in the show at all (not even an encore break). I'm pretty sure that is the longest I have seen a band on stage. Axl said he didn't want to make excuses, but he had been feeling a bit ill (they canceled their next show a couple of days later). The music was fine, and the roughest part was Axl having issues with his low voice / high voice transitions. My biggest complaint (and it's not the bands' fault) was that I am a bigger Appetite for Destruction / Greatest Hits fan than an all-around GnR fan. I was really surprised by how many of the songs that they played I had never heard before.

#13 9 months ago

that they played I had never heard before.

When I watched their live show on YouTube I felt the same.

#14 9 months ago

I saw them play acoustic as part of the Bridge School Benefit in 2012 and it was sad. The benefit concert generally had about eight acts playing and the schedule is tight. Everyone was on time except of course for Axl. It got so bad that Eddie Vedder came out to do an unannounced set, while Neil Young went to Axl's dressing room to yell at him to get on stage.

#15 9 months ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Saw them and Metallica in 1992. Awesome.

Saw them same year in Seattle. GNR was great, but Metallica blew them away.

#16 9 months ago

Go see them. They're worth seeing once even now. No, Slash doesn't move much. Yes, Axl looks 30 years older than he did 30 years ago- as do you and I. But the music you know is good, the music you don't know is nice to discover. Then you can decide not to see them again.

Adler's band is fun, the singer is spot on. But it seems they have limits as to what they are allowed to play (speculation). Appetite, You Could Be Mine from Illusions/ Terminator 2 soundtrack, and an excerpt of Patience the 3-4 times I have seen them.

Fun pin tie-in: An outdoor concert venue, Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia Maryland, has a band pin lineup- about ten pins from Ted Nugent and Dolly Parton to Foofighters and Metallica. The staff took the backglass off of the DE GnR for Adler to sign. He did, but he also drew a mustache on (pictured drummer) Matt Sorum and muttered something about royalties owed...

#17 9 months ago

Saw them back in the day with Metallica. Metallica blew them away. G&R was good and I remember Axl being late or just leaving the stage. With ticket prices being so high, I wouldn’t even consider spending the cash to see them now. Slash kicks ass tho!!

#18 9 months ago

*Trigger warning*

Did you ask them when the GNR code update is coming out?

#19 9 months ago

Saw them in '17, was never a big fan, but was asked to go. Was treated to a old school metal show with Slash shredding his brains out the entire time. Was a good night.

#20 9 months ago

Appetite is a nearly perfect album. I wish that I had the chance to see GNR in their prime. I’ll pass on the current incarnation. I’d jump at a chance to see Slash and Myles in a smaller club setting, though.

In contrast, I saw Foo Fighters last night. Endless energy and enthusiasm! They played for 3+ hours and never let up.

#21 9 months ago

saw them in 1993 in San Diego. Show started at 9 but they didn't start playing until midnight. They were know for that. The opening band was new and never heard of them at the time -- SoundGarden.

#22 9 months ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Axl has a little middle-aged spread but I wouldn't call him "grossly fat," he's just not rail thin any more. I'm sure your scale would agree this happens to most folks 40 years on. His voice is pretty bad. Rest of the band sounds good.

You got cheap seats, you'll get your money's worth I'd guess. I saw them at a festival this past summer it was fine for what it was.

Put away the youtube and just go enjoy the show.

#23 9 months ago
Quoted from BryanD:

Go see them. They're worth seeing once even now. No, Slash doesn't move much. Yes, Axl looks 30 years older than he did 30 years ago- as do you and I. But the music you know is good, the music you don't know is nice to discover. Then you can decide not to see them again.
Adler's band is fun, the singer is spot on. But it seems they have limits as to what they are allowed to play (speculation). Appetite, You Could Be Mine from Illusions/ Terminator 2 soundtrack, and an excerpt of Patience the 3-4 times I have seen them.
Fun pin tie-in: An outdoor concert venue, Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia Maryland, has a band pin lineup- about ten pins from Ted Nugent and Dolly Parton to Foofighters and Metallica. The staff took the backglass off of the DE GnR for Adler to sign. He did, but he also drew a mustache on (pictured drummer) Matt Sorum and muttered something about royalties owed...

Do they STILL have that pin barn at Merriweather? It was pretty cool last time I was there (maybe a dozen years ago for a Judas Priest show).

#24 9 months ago

Off topic a bit, but I just saw Duran Duran in Detroit last Saturday and it was the best concert I've seen in years. And they're all all about the same ages as GNR members or older. In fact, Simon Le Bon sounded almost a little too good for a 65 year old man who's been doing this for 40+ years. That always makes you wonder about a bit of "vocal enhancement". But either way, I really enjoyed it. The show also had Nile Rodgers doing Chic music and other stuff that he's written and/or produced. And Bastille as well. My son likes Duran Duran along with dear old Dad, but Bastille is relatively current and he really liked that as well. And for $60 (upper bowl), it was a relative steal by today's standards on concert ticket pricing for a stadium show. But God bless them. If it wasn't sold out, it must've been pretty damn close. There was a sea of people at Little Caesars Arena.

#25 9 months ago

Saw them open up For Aerosmith when they were both alive.Great at that time.

#26 9 months ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

I saw them play acoustic as part of the Bridge School Benefit in 2012 and it was sad.

Slash and Duff didn't rejoin until 2016...so that wasn't the same as they are now or were back in the good times.

I have seen them 4 times.. with Metallica and Faith no more a million years ago, and then Cincy, and Louisville twice over the past few years.

They should get some credit for the work ethic these days. They start on time...(never thought I would say that) and they play for almost 3 hours. They also do some crazy covers. Slash and Duff crush it. The stage show is cool. Axl can have some misses, but he can also surprise you. If you have never seen them go, have some beers and have fun. Of course it is not as cool as seeing them 35 years ago.

#27 9 months ago

One of my favorite arguments to have at a bar. Lol.

I really don't get the hate here. Yes they're old and fat. I'm getting there myself. I saw them about 5 years ago at Staples Center. I was front row so I was completely spoiled with the performance. No openers, went on right on time, played for 3 hours straight with a 5 minute intermission. Axl sounded great, not album quality but damn near close to Chinese Democracy album quality.

I had one friend who saw them in Tijuana and swore Axl was lipsyncing, couldn't hear the guitar and the mics we're cutting out. What do you expect in TJ. A few others have also complained about his voice and have told me they played for far less time.

Maybe I saw a special LA "Home Field Advantage" performance. But it was one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life. I can't really say I've seen many bands play every song in their catalog with that much enthusiasm from the crowd to hear every bit of it. They literally played till there was sweat pools on the ground.

I will also acknowledge the fear in my head that if I see them again, I might have the opposite experience. I guess I will consider myself lucky. Cheers!

#28 9 months ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

They should get some credit for the work ethic these days. They start on time...(never thought I would say that) and they play for almost 3 hours. They also do some crazy covers. Slash and Duff crush it. The stage show is cool. Axl can have some misses, but he can also surprise you.

This. Can’t attest to quality as I haven’t seen them live in years but if nothing else, it’s no bs, and dedicated to putting on a good show for years now.

#29 9 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Off topic a bit, but I just saw Duran Duran in Detroit last Saturday and it was the best concert I've seen in years. And they're all all about the same ages as GNR members or older. In fact, Simon Le Bon sounded almost a little too good for a 65 year old man who's been doing this for 40+ years. That always makes you wonder about a bit of "vocal enhancement". But either way, I really enjoyed it. The show also had Nile Rodgers doing Chic music and other stuff that he's written and/or produced. And Bastille as well. My son likes Duran Duran along with dear old Dad, but Bastille is relatively current and he really liked that as well. And for $60 (upper bowl), it was a relative steal by today's standards on concert ticket pricing for a stadium show. But God bless them. If it wasn't sold out, it must've been pretty damn close. There was a sea of people at Little Caesars Arena.

Saw them in Vegas a few weeks ago and couldn’t agree more - excellent show, although Bastille couldn’t make it.

I’ve seen GnR a few times way back when and just want to remember them as they were. My buddy said the recent Toronto show was good, but commented on Axl’s limited range.

#30 9 months ago
Quoted from elsereturn:

saw them in 1993 in San Diego. Show started at 9 but they didn't start playing until midnight. They were know for that. The opening band was new and never heard of them at the time -- SoundGarden.

That's awesome when that happens! We saw Kiss in 77, some weirdos you couldn't understand opened for them. ACDC

#31 9 months ago

Saw them at the LA Colliseum in 1988 and they weren't even the headliner they opened for the Rolling Stones . Axle fell off the stage and threw a fit and walked off after about 4 songs . They sounded good then , from what I remember, couldn't say what they sound like currently, but a good story .

#32 9 months ago

had tickets 2 times, first time they quit 3-4 songs into their set, riot happened, then last week they cancelled st. louis again.

#33 9 months ago

I always wanted Slash's pinsider name so I can PM him some questions about the game.. but too late I sold it and havent missed it one bit .

#34 9 months ago

Loved that style of music from the late ‘80s early ‘90s. Guns and Roses beat them all.

#35 9 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

had tickets 2 times, first time they quit 3-4 songs into their set, riot happened, then last week they cancelled st. louis again.

Was it a “fear for your life” riot or just a “the show ended way to early so let’s destroy the venue riot? “

#36 9 months ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Loved that style of music from the late ‘80s early ‘90s. Guns and Roses beat them all.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#37 9 months ago

I saw them last year. If you go in expecting the Axel voice of old, you will be disappointed big time. They were just OK in my book, definitely not worth what we paid for the tickets. At least I crossed an item off my bucket list though

#38 9 months ago

Saw them on sept 3rd in Toronto. Axel can’t sing anymore but I’m a big fan so I sang every song.

#39 9 months ago
IMG_6487 (resized).jpegIMG_6487 (resized).jpeg
#40 9 months ago
Quoted from mIkea:

Saw them in Vegas a few weeks ago and couldn’t agree more - excellent show, although Bastille couldn’t make it.
I’ve seen GnR a few times way back when and just want to remember them as they were. My buddy said the recent Toronto show was good, but commented on Axl’s limited range.

Barenaked Ladies have a deep cut called "Grade 9" where one of the verses goes:

"I've got a blue-and-red Adidas bag and a humongous binder,
I'm trying my best not to look like a minor niner.
I went out for the football team to prove that I'm a man.
Guess I shouldn't tell them that I like Duran Duran.

Definitely not a group for the "cool" kids back in high school. But then when you grow up, you realize that there are some great songs with some great musicianship and singing. Glad I got to see them. They don't tour too often, at least in the States.

#41 9 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Saw them in January '92 with Soundgarden on the Use Your Illusion tour. Incredible show but shitty venue, the Pyramid in Memphis, which is now a Bass Pro Shops megastore.
My problem with seeing them in 2023 isn't so much their age, but that I can no longer tolerate huge, lame arenas & ballparks, which is all they play. Would pay a pretty penny to see them at Metro (capacity 1000) in Chicago, across the street from where they actually played last month, Wrigley Field.

You're dreaming- haha. The Metro is where one of my favorite Canadian bands, Sloan, plays when on tour. If you want to see a good show with 1000 people, check them out! They've been doing it for 30 years.

#42 9 months ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I have never seen them before and they will be in Houston on the 28th. We bought seats more out of curiosity than being huge fans. To get an idea of what I was going to see I started watching YouTube vids and I discovered something, they suck live. What am I missing. What I am seeing is a grossly fat Axel rose who can’t sing and Slash who basically stands there. Am o missing something or is this why the seats were so cheap.

I had never seen them live and like others I had heard all the horror stories. I finally saw them live in 2021 and I am pleased to say, they were really good. They played for 2.5+ hours straight. Slash is a beast playing multiples solos, my fingers hurt for him. They were on time and Axl was into it and didn't sound bad. I had expected the worst, but I had a really great time. I'd gladly go see them again.

If you want bad singing, go see Motley Crue. I saw them with Joan Jett, Poison and Def Leppard last year and Vince Neil was every bit as awful as I had heard he was. I had never openly laughed at a concert before, but his singing is like a joke American Idol audition. He can't keep up at all or carry a tune at this point. I was embarrassed for him, it was sad.

#43 9 months ago

I saw them at United Center in Chicago a few years ago and it was great.

#44 9 months ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Was it a “fear for your life” riot or just a “the show ended way to early so let’s destroy the venue riot? “

The St Louis show riot back in the 90s was EPIC

#45 9 months ago

Calling Trekkie1978 I know this guy likes these concerts.

#46 9 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

You're dreaming- haha. The Metro is where one of my favorite Canadian bands, Sloan, plays when on tour. If you want to see a good show with 1000 people, check them out! They've been doing it for 30 years.

Sloan is great! I saw them at Double Door, even smaller. Metallica played Metro last year, so big bands do sneak in there from time to time.

#47 9 months ago

Saw and worked the late ‘90’s show with Metallica in Orlando. We had to hire strippers to work the pre-show passion pit area for both bands.

Huge bar/food spread, a pool table, several pins, a 10x10 hot tub tent.

We must have done a decent job of hiring, G&R went on stage about 3 hours late.

#48 9 months ago

I saw the Metallica Guns & Rose's tour summer 1992 at Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.
The Rose Bowl show with Motörhead opening, was one of the greatest concerts I've ever seen.
All three bands were on their game.

If you want to see a Classic band that's still Amazing Live, go see Judas Priest, Halfords voice is still wonderful.

#49 9 months ago

OK folks, just a gentle reminder, cause a lot of us seem to be having trouble with this:

Axel:

Axel_Foley (resized).pngAxel_Foley (resized).png

Axl:

Glasto2023_(239_of_468)_(53009325175)_(cropped) (resized).jpgGlasto2023_(239_of_468)_(53009325175)_(cropped) (resized).jpg

#50 9 months ago

I’ve seen them twice. First time with buckethead. They were about an hour late. Just dead air after the opening act. The show was good from what I remember.

The second time they had DJ Ashba on lead guitar. It was just a long show. Almost 3 hours. Too long. They sounded fine. Don’t expect Axl to be any better than what Vince Neil currently has to offer. If they could trim their show down to 2 hours I would have enjoyed it more.

Imagine if golf had 27 holes instead of 18. That’s how I feel about their concert.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.