(Topic ID: 219523)

Has anyone seen a DMD spontaneously crack the glass?

By ForceFlow

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BE2CFF68-8329-4261-B551-C8E0AAA84A6C (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20180617120457943 (resized).jpg
    20180617142503063 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I've been servicing a location game, and on my last visit, the glass appeared to have cracked.

A number of fuses also blew, and a few LED bulbs melted (a few feature lamps and a couple backbox flashers).

I can't say I've ever seen anything like this happen before--DMDs have fairly thick glass. Though granted, it was just starting to outgas. The speaker plastic was undamaged, so I doubt it was physical damage, especially considering the other issues that surfaced.

20180617142503063 (resized).jpg20180617142503063 (resized).jpg
    20180617120457943 (resized).jpg20180617120457943 (resized).jpg

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from FreeBee:

Wow, if it was just the DMD I might have thrown that on stress already in the glass or heat or something like that, but fuses and bulbs also blown? Something has happened to that pin...

Yeah, I'm not sure what it was. I checked all the voltages, and they seemed to be fine. The game played fine afterwards, including during a long session of multiball.

This wasn't the first time I've seen melted LEDs in this game, though. There is certainly something abnormal happening when I'm not around to see it.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Is this game by chance a reimport that was not properly converted to 120v ?

No, it's a domestic game.

#9 5 years ago

Even -112v, -100v, 68v for the DMD tested good?

Yes

Was there a thunderstorm that day?

Nope, clear skies.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Or some jerk punched it.
    LTG : )

Heh...I kind of think it would be out of reach, though--it has other games beside it.

Quoted from o-din:

What's the game?

T2

Quoted from pacmanretro:

, if someone was beating on entire machine?

I kind of doubt it it was something physical. There are plenty of staff there keep an eye on the games.

Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

I wonder if anyone was doing construction work or moving things around at that location and managed to bonk the speaker panel with something big and heavy (big 1-inch piece of plywood or something like that).

No construction.

Quoted from hawknole:

Maybe strange power surges? Is the pin plugged right into a shared electrical line, like with a large compressor or heat pump, or do you condition the line with a fuse based strip or something?

It's shared with other games, but no other equipment.

Another pin is on the same circut, and there haven't been any problems with it.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

That ROM is free play only. This game was on location.
    LTG : )

It's running L-8 with the LED patch.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

If the DMD suddenly died it may have put alot of stress on the DMD controller which could of caused voltage spike?

The DMD board was fine afterwards, and its two fuses didn't blow when the old DMD died. The driver board blew solenoid fuses, lamp fuses, and the 5v logic fuse.

#32 5 years ago

does the transformer smell like it got hot?

Nope. No smells at all, or anything overheating.

Any evidence that a liquid spilled into the cabinet?

Nope, the game is clean. No loose parts or screws or whatnot rolling around either.

I wonder if you can re-create the problem by jarring the transformer and/or harnesses while the power is on.

I jostled & nudged the game after the repair, and nothing seemed to be amiss. I didn't mess with the harness or transformer directly.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This is a way long shot, but we were surprised when this happened at work...
    Every year our company gives out awards, some are glass. My buddy rearranged his office and the next day when he came in, there was an arc of melted crap across his desk. Focusing the sun from the window literally put a line of melt and holes in the plastic tape dispenser he had on his desk.
    Could there be something that blasts that spot with sun and raise the temp just in one corner/side of the DMD/game?

There is some indirect exposure to sunlight, though I don't think it would see a solar death ray like you described.

3 weeks later
    #41 5 years ago

Well, it's been about 3 weeks at this point, and so far there haven't been any further problems. No more blown fuses, no more melted bulbs, and the replacement DMD has been working fine.

Maybe the original outgasing display was causing things to go haywire? Though, I've never seen a DMD cause these sorts of things before.

1 week later
    #44 5 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

the issue was the av board.

This is a T2 and doesn't have an AV board.

However, do you remember what the issue was on your AV board?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-seen-a-dmd-spontaneously-crack-the-glass?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.