(Topic ID: 134569)

Has anyone moved pins on a ceramic tile floor?

By PanzerFreak

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MK6PIN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

My wife and I recently had our entry way, hallway between entry way and kitchen and entire kitchen floor redone using ceramic tile. The tile is installed using thinset on 1/4" cement board which is screwed into 3/4" tongue and groove OSB which is nailed and glued to the original 1/2" plywood subfloor.

So, I haven't brought a pin into the house or out of my basement since the tile was installed 3 months ago. However that is about to change and I'm concerned that an Escalera dolly weighing close to 100lbs (has some attachments) and a 300lb pinball machine may cause the tile to crack or chip. The tile goes right to the edge where the basement stairs begin so the two small Escalera stair climbers will grip the tile close to the edge with 400lbs, 500lbs with a WOZ weighted game. I will have to move a pin on tile in the kitchen, hallway and entry way to get it in or out of the house.

A couple options I can think of.

1. Install an elevator in the basement to the first floor. Wife said no. Just joking, lol.

2. Get 3/4" sheets of plywood and put them on the tile to help support the load of the game and avoid cracking the tile. One piece would go right up to the edge of the tile where the stairs start so the Escalera would grip that instead. I'm not sure if I can get away with 1/4" or 1/2" plywood instead?

3. Procceed as is and hope the tile doesn't crack. Sounds risky but maybe the tile can handle the weight? The Escalera wheels are rather small and will go across grout lines on the tile. I thought about getting the big wheel attachment but I would still have the issue with the small stair climbers resting on the tile floor near an edge.

Any suggestions / tips?

Thank you!

#2 3 years ago

If you are concerned about it, you could lay a board across the ceramic to distribute the weight more evenly across the floor. You probably would want to put a little insulator between the board and the tile to minimize scratching.

#3 3 years ago

1/2" plywood is fine....2 sheets, and just move w the machine (no sense covering the whole floor)...something between the plywood and tile (thin, blanket like) and all is good.

Highly recommend the plywood to distribute the load!!! As Flank pointed out in another thread, if the tile isn't completely flat and firmly set (you might never know by walking on it) it will crack immediately if a dolly wheel hits it....good luck!!!...mark

#4 3 years ago

I've had zero issues but my tiles is installed directly onto our slab (concrete). If the tile you have is on wood then that may be more of an issue.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys! I think I'll get a couple 1/2" sheets and staple an old blanket or something to it.

#6 3 years ago

I was in the tile layers union for years and if install properly it should be fine.

At were the tile meets the stairs did you install a metal schluter strip cause that would protect the edge?

also did you put thin set under the cement board before you screwed it down cause that would have added more strength, durability, sturdiness, and would have help distribute the stress from weight.

but if you have a concern lay down plywood. I had to do this on job sites for pallet jacks and those loads were 1-3 thousand pounds, it works perfectly.

also maybe just get a dolly with pneumatic tires.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks for the tips guys! I think I'll get a couple 1/2" sheets and staple an old blanket or something to it.

Perfect, but use cheap packing tape, not staples (they scratch)....

#8 3 years ago

I installed my own ceramic tile floor and have pinball machines on it... no problems but laying down some plywood - you probably don't even need anything very thick, would be a layer of protection.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

I was in the tile layers union for years and if install properly it should be fine.
    At were the tile meets the stairs did you install a metal schluter strip cause that would protect the edge?
    also did you put thin set under the cement board before you screwed it down cause that would have added more strength, durability, sturdiness, and would have help distribute the stress from weight.
    but if you have a concern lay down plywood. I had to do this on job sites for pallet jacks and those loads were 1-3 thousand pounds, it works perfectly.
    also maybe just get a dolly with pneumatic tires.

Yup, schluter trip is installed on that edge. Unfortunately no thinset was used under the cement board, it was only screwed in.

I'll definitely lay some plywood down just to be safe.

Thanks guys for more tips!

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup, schluter trip is installed on that edge. Unfortunately no thinset was used under the cement board, it was only screwed in.
    I'll definitely lay some plywood down just to be safe.
    Thanks guys for more tips!

Excellent choice!!! no thinset can definitely leave a hidden pocket.......

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 44.00
    $ 218.00
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 129.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 89.99
    $ 21.00
    $ 209.99
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    MONSTERFISH MODS
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 94.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside