(Topic ID: 224189)

Has anyone installed woz 2.0 yet? I’m about to!

By pinballkyle

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Woz-2.0-Wiring5 - Copy (resized).jpg
Woz-2.0-Wiring4 - Copy (resized).jpg
Woz-2.0-Wiring2 - Copy (resized).jpg
Woz-2.0-Wiring3 - Copy (resized).jpg
Woz-2.0-Wiring1 - Copy (resized).jpg
IMG_6709 (resized).jpeg
5CC4B990-4D42-448D-99BF-A5B2201BB28C (resized).jpeg
5680AFCA-D0BE-4584-A42D-B76CF6FD206C (resized).jpeg
B3204800-E330-43A3-8172-D1E056EDAD21 (resized).jpeg
050A1416-AAEE-499C-8F0B-8C85D236517E (resized).jpeg
Step 21 image (resized).jpg
57EC9904-8BFB-412C-A18C-D965F48629D0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0270 (resized).JPG
WOZ DIMPLER (resized).png
Dimpler1 (resized).jpg
dimple1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballcharlie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#282 4 years ago

I'm elbows deep in this upgrade kit and don't want to switch "RESCUE" and the GI light when the times comes. Not sure if the APR 2019 instructions are up to date. Can someone tell me what I need to do to make sure I get this correct? Attached here is what the current on the JJP website. I assume the problem is that the Y-cable get connected to the wrong mini boards, right?

THX!!
MINI PLAYFIELD (resized).pngMINI PLAYFIELD (resized).png

EDIT - this photo is wrong.

GREEN should connect to 192 and YELLOW to 31.

#286 4 years ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

Is it just me or are any other pre 2.0 board WOZ owners upset with this whole process? We are being asked to pay $800 and spend ungodly amount of time to fix a problem that should have been covered by JJP. Personally, I will never, ever buy another product from JJP based on this.

Yes, the whole process is upsetting, but I was sick of having a pin that I could neither sell or play since the lighting has been messed up since the first month that I bought it. Over the years, JJP did send me many, many replacement boards on their dime, but never really fixed the problem. I eventually just stopped asking for replacement boards and only played it on occasion (and only during the summer months) with spotty disabled lighting. Since space is precious to us all, I got sick of having one of my pins mostly turned off and wasting space so I finally took the hit and got the upgrade kit (which took my about 8 months to get). But - what do you do?

Anyhow, it was quite the chore, but the whole thing went surprising well. The documentation is laid out well, and they did a fine bit of engineering to get this new system to work with the existing machine. A couple issues - the RESCUE and GI lights are shown wrong in the picture in my previous post. I got that PDF online directly from their website, so hopefully they correct it. I went to the JJP google group and got the right info there before I connected things up, luckily. Also I noticed afterward that the hard copy of the instructions included with my kit shows the correct wiring diagram for the upper playfield. I would recommend others doing this in the future use the included hard copies rather than online PDFs.

One other thing that was frustrating - I did an inventory of all parts before getting into the kit this weekend and it all checked out BUT the kit was supposed to include (24) #4 x 3/4" SMS screws to install all the single RGB light boards. Turns out they were all only 1/2" and completely useless (guess I should have measured every screw pack first?) I ended up using the old 7/8" screws from the old RGB boards (the ones they explicitly said NOT to reuse) with nylon spacers and washers to make sure they didn't penetrate too deep into the playfield. Not a big deal, but it did add an extra step and precaution for every single RGB board I installed.

Anyway, feels great to be done with it and it feels awesome to FINALLY have a fully functioning WOZ since I bought it in 2013

px1 (resized).jpgpx1 (resized).jpgpx2 (resized).jpgpx2 (resized).jpgPX3 (resized).jpgPX3 (resized).jpg
#297 4 years ago
Quoted from homegameroom:

I'll delve into installing it later this week...maybe.

I'm working on a tool that I am going to 3D print this week that will be able to easily and precisely mark where to drill your pilot hole for the single RGB boards. This is important not only to save time time, but will increase the effectiveness of your GI lighting - which is really important for this kit since GI is already so dim.

I'll update this thread once I get a tested prototype in my hands.

#302 4 years ago
Quoted from Lawnboy:

Please let me know when this is done . I will buy one.

Got it almost done! Man, I wish I would have made this thing BEFORE I did the install. Not only will this save a LOT of time, it will PRECISELY locate your pilot holes so your GI LEDs are perfectly centered over the lens, also it may change the world .

I want to experiment with the model a bit to make sure it is perfect, but will upload to Thingiverse tomorrow so anyone can download the .STL file and print for FREE!

I'll see about getting this up on my store here on Pinside for those who don't have access to a 3D printer. You definitely will want to use this before drilling your GI pilot holes (I speak from experience )

WOZ 2.0 LIGHT KIT DIMPLER (resized).jpgWOZ 2.0 LIGHT KIT DIMPLER (resized).jpgDimpler1 (resized).jpgDimpler1 (resized).jpgdimple1 (resized).jpgdimple1 (resized).jpgGI LED CENTERED (resized).jpgGI LED CENTERED (resized).jpg
#306 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Great invention ! Thank you !
LTG : )

You bet - anything to make the install more pleasant! To me, that was the worse part of the install - getting those pilot holes in the perfect spot, especially the hard to reach ones that are buried behind wire harnesses. If they are off by even 1.5mm, the brightness of the already dim GI lights will be lessened.

#308 4 years ago

Here it is! The WOZ Lighting Upgrade Kit 2.0 GI Dimpler Tool

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4157116

Should be an easy print - I recommend using PLA as it will make a sharper point and be more accurate than ABS. PETG may be too soft.

For those without a 3D printer, I think you can get things printed at a local library, or you can buy from my store here on Pinside after I set it up later today. I'll post in here when they are available.

I'll include three dimplers in the pack (the tip may start to getting worn out after awhile). Cost will be $13 - plus $7 domestic shipping.

WOZ DIMPLER (resized).pngWOZ DIMPLER (resized).png
#312 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I've probably removed that thing 100 times I could do it in my sleep. Moving the flying monkey down on the screw rod is something I always forget to do.

LOL - yes on both of those for me, too

#315 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

The real PITA (as in 2 hours, some sweat, and a bit of anger), is the munchkin playfield.

Huh - my Munchkin playfield came up quite easily. Probably only took 10 minutes to remove. Did you make sure the screw that tightens the wireform to the upper playfield was loose? It does take some maneuvering; I could see if that screw was tightened down there would be no way it would have any slack for wiggling.

#318 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Agree with this. I also hated dealing with the little rubber standoffs that hold the rainbow plastic on.

I hate rubber grommets whenever I encounter them, too. I use needle-nose pliers to push and pull them through and, if I am lucky, they survive. I still haven't found a reliable way to deal with them. Any tips from those who are successful with them?

#323 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

That was the nightmare for me during 2.0 install. I tried everything.... really struggled with it

If I ever start a German hate metal band, I’ll call it “Rivets and Grommets” since they are the two things that make me the most angry about pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 91.00
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 24.50
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballcharlie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-installed-woz-20-yet-im-about-too-?tu=pinballcharlie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.