(Topic ID: 224189)

Has anyone installed woz 2.0 yet? I’m about to!

By pinballkyle

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Woz-2.0-Wiring5 - Copy (resized).jpg
Woz-2.0-Wiring4 - Copy (resized).jpg
Woz-2.0-Wiring2 - Copy (resized).jpg
Woz-2.0-Wiring3 - Copy (resized).jpg
Woz-2.0-Wiring1 - Copy (resized).jpg
IMG_6709 (resized).jpeg
5CC4B990-4D42-448D-99BF-A5B2201BB28C (resized).jpeg
5680AFCA-D0BE-4584-A42D-B76CF6FD206C (resized).jpeg
B3204800-E330-43A3-8172-D1E056EDAD21 (resized).jpeg
050A1416-AAEE-499C-8F0B-8C85D236517E (resized).jpeg
Step 21 image (resized).jpg
57EC9904-8BFB-412C-A18C-D965F48629D0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0270 (resized).JPG
WOZ DIMPLER (resized).png
Dimpler1 (resized).jpg
dimple1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manimal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 5 years ago

Halfway into the upgrade.....so far, so good...lol

#77 5 years ago

Finished the 2.0 upgrade, just waiting on 1 board to be replaced before I fire it up. Yes, I know the idea was for everything to work independent, but I don't want to tempt fate so I will wait.

Like others I probably have 10 to 12 hours in the conversion, and although I don't think I could cut that to 6 hours, I could probably shave off a couple now that I know what I am doing. Seems like the instructions are a bit better than others have noted here, so maybe JJ folks took note. I can also tell you I had no problem with cables reaching anywhere, but as someone suggested earlier, I placed all of the boards exactly as laid out in the provided diagrams. I had one board (the big one that looks like a fish) that had a bad capacitor on it that I noticed right away. the capacitor had been bent over during shipment, and a leg was broken off. JJ has a new one on the way with no issue...crap happens. Several of the circuit boards were also missing the standoffs, so I had to shorten some of the original standoffs to fit. It was an easy fix, but it did take time. I am fairly technical, and this was a little challenging, but not a technical type of challenge...it was more of a 'not wanting to tear in and cut cables on a 9K game' type of challenge, and a 'this is going to take forever' type of challenge. But I pushed through with what I hope will be a successful ending.

Probably my biggest complaint is the mounting of the GI lights. I contacted JJ and made a suggestion for a fix, so we will see if they think it is worth the effort. Basically, those little boards are held to the playfield with one screw and you tighten the led against the bottom of the acrylic rod to hold everything in place. If you are too loose, the board will vibrate and eventually swivel out of the way and the light rod will fall out of the playfield......too tight and the solder connections on the led or the board itself will break. I am going to order some extras to have on hand just in case they break over time. The fix is simply to widen the board a bit for 2 small screws to hold it to the playfield like the insert light boards. This way the board will never swing and you don't have to tighten it so tight against the acrylic rod. Gravity will hold the rod against the led and you never have to worry about breaking anything. So something like 14 more screws and plastic spacers, and a small change to the board design would go a long way in my book. Hopefully the replacement board will be here tonight and I can fire her back up. Thanks everyone for all of the tips and suggestions. I would say the most important tip was to make sure you lay out everything EXACTLY like it is on the diagram....it will save you a lot of headaches. if you are NOT a mechanical person, I would advise you not to tackle the change alone, and to find someone that is to help you.

1 month later
#122 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Anyone know where to get those round nylon spacers for the LED and Bag boards that snap in? I’m missing a few.

You can always do like I did and cut down a couple of the old bbn ones.

5 months later
#236 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I’ve purchased the 2.0 lighting system and received the very next day. I’m going to hold off installing till I begin to have light board issues. So far my early woz, after installing a few bds years ago has worked perfectly (knock on wood). I really want to see how long my lights will remain working. Not looking forward to the install, but all of you that have, have been encouraging. Good to hear from those that went through the install.

I understand the thought, but just be advised, there is risk with the direction you are taking. My 2.0 set had a bad board from the beginning (broken cap leg) and you may play heck getting that board replaced 2 years from now when you finally decide to install the kit. save yourself the issues and hassle and just replace it. Once you do, sell the old boards and recover a few bucks and take the wife out for a nice dinner.......

#249 4 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Posted this in the woz fan club as well but thought that it was worth mentioning here, too.
My 2c on the GI brightness of the 2.0 light conversion: I agree with others that have stated that the GI is noticeably less bright. Like others, I have double checked to ensure that all of the GI lights are centered over their tubes. I thought that maybe I had a cognitive bias since I had heard this from others in advance of doing the conversion, but I have had several non-pinhead people (who are totally unaware of this potential issue) play who had played it prior to the conversion and they ALL independently noticed that the game was darker.

It is definitely less bright, but not by much.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manimal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-installed-woz-20-yet-im-about-too-?tu=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.