(Topic ID: 224189)

Has anyone installed woz 2.0 yet? I’m about to!

By pinballkyle

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Woz-2.0-Wiring5 - Copy (resized).jpg
Woz-2.0-Wiring4 - Copy (resized).jpg
Woz-2.0-Wiring2 - Copy (resized).jpg
Woz-2.0-Wiring3 - Copy (resized).jpg
Woz-2.0-Wiring1 - Copy (resized).jpg
IMG_6709 (resized).jpeg
5CC4B990-4D42-448D-99BF-A5B2201BB28C (resized).jpeg
5680AFCA-D0BE-4584-A42D-B76CF6FD206C (resized).jpeg
B3204800-E330-43A3-8172-D1E056EDAD21 (resized).jpeg
050A1416-AAEE-499C-8F0B-8C85D236517E (resized).jpeg
Step 21 image (resized).jpg
57EC9904-8BFB-412C-A18C-D965F48629D0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0270 (resized).JPG
WOZ DIMPLER (resized).png
Dimpler1 (resized).jpg
dimple1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lhammer610.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 5 years ago

I wish I had read all of Gwpin and finman2000 notes prior to performing the upgrades.

Mine took longer because I also replaced the rubber rings and cleaned the playfield. And I removed all cables without cutting the wires.

I also found that if I installed the GI boards as shown in the included diagram, then the connectors reached just fine. Of course, I discovered that after I went to connect them.

What has me annoyed is that the game is now darker than it was. The inserts are brighter and can be turned way up. But with my 7.5 V boards, if I increased the insert LEDs, the GI lights got brighter also. With WOZ 2.0, the GI lights do not increase nor decrease in brightness but they seem stuck on low brightness. Yes I played with positioning vs. the light tubes.

When I called JJP, they seemed surprised about my comment on GI brightness adjustment, but I confirmed that they do not increase with LED menu adjustments. I was told that in newer JJP games, GI brightness is a separate adjustment.

I guess they forgot to add that option in WOZ when they updated the software to work with WOZ 2.0.

I am looking forward to their response to my inquiry. Am hoping a quick and dirty, copy and paste of the GI adjustment software to WOZ will solve this problem. [Nothing is quick with software.]

In the meantime, I purchased an aftermarket LED lighting kit for the back of the playfield and the outhole. It works to make the game brighter but practically ruins the beautiful LED color show by not being in sync with the game. I do not recommend it.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Are you running older software?
Newer WOZ games should be the same as yours with updated software.

I am running 6.61 as directed in the instructions.

I do not know what versions might support WOZ 2.0, but my understanding is that WOZ 2.0 will not work at all with earlier software.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from marl3y:

My thoughts after the 2.0 upgrade are exactly the same as lhammer610. GI is way too dark. Game was generally dark with the 7.5v boards, but even darker with the 2.0 upgrade. I can also confirm I haven't found a way to increase the intensity of the GI independent of the inserts (which are perfect brightness). Also running v6.61. Toying with a Pinstadium-like approach to brighten things up, but my strong preference would be for the ability to boost the game's GI and use the programmed colors.

Not sure I know what the 'Pinstadium - like approach' is.

I was wondering how much more current the power to the GI supply can stand. I was thinking of buying more GI boards and attaching them to the underside of the cabinet, then connecting them (somehow - connectors? what are they? where can I buy them?) to an existing GI feed. That way the color and brightness would match the GI's in the rest of the pin. But I don't want to blow out my new WOZ 2.0 boards.

If that is unworkable, come up with some sort of above the playfield installation list standard LED bulbs, connected to the WOZ 2.0 GI system.

But the best fix would be for JJP to incorporate GI brightness control.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

It has been a while since I really messed with this part of WOZ but the "GI" boards are all part of the same strings as the insert lights. IIRC the only GI that runs off a separate power source are the spotlights so I don't know how you would have new GI boards that used that power but were color controlled by the string. I have a set of Pin Stadiums on mine so I no longer have to worry about the lack of GI which is an issue with all boardsets on this game if you play in a dark room IMO.

The lights in WOZ 2.0 are setup differently from the original generations of LEDs in the game. There is a new power supply, but the connectors for the GI lights still come from the main boards. These main boards still have non-replaceable fuses in them. If I were to pursue adding GI lights, I would be pulling some more power through those boards and do not want to blow those fuses.

And unlike pre-2.0 lights, the GI brightness does not change with the insert brightness via menu.

I am not familiar with Pin Stadium lights, so I searched for their website. There is not a whole lot of information there about what it is. I found some pictures of before and after for WOZ. Their website is not very good about describing what their product does nor what a 'GI Module' does nor when it is needed. Their 'About' page is verbose with little specific information. Lousy marketing.

What I do not want is just 'dumb' lights that do not sync with the game. I can buy strips of LEDs and install them. I want is something that changes color and intensity in sync with the game. The color changes and bright / dark modes add a lot to WOZ. The ones I purchased that go under the back of the cabinet and outhole fight what WOZ is doing - just staying on and, the back, randomly changing color - 'dumb' lighting which is not WOZ computer controlled.

What I want are brighter existing GIs or lamps that change in sync with the GIs.

JJP has been great in supporting their products. I am hoping that they come through with a software adjustment of the GIs.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check out Youtube, search for WOZ Pinstadium. Lots of videos so you can see what they all do.
Here is one of my WOZ with them :
LTG : )

Quoted from bobukcat:

The optional GI module allows them to go on and off with the GI but the color cannot be controlled that way. The optional flasher module which intersperses Flasher (you choose the color of the flasher when you order) LEDs in the strip can be hooked up to only a few spots on WOZ (because there's really only one flasher and that's for the Witch). Pre 2.0 the GI module did some really cool integration with the game but in the videos that LTG posted of them on WOZ with 2.0 that stuff doesn't happen anymore.

Thanks for the videos.

That the Pinstadium lights stay on during the 'dark mode' of the 2.0 game is exactly what I do not want.

I might, grudgingly, find them acceptable if they would turn on, brighten and dim with the GIs, even if they do not follow the color. This is what they do in bobukcat's game.
Great. Do I rip out 2.0 and put back in the 7 V lamps? Of course not.

In a perfect world, I would like them to mimic the GI's 100%.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I thought the same but if you look the GI lights do NOT go out during lights out mode, only the inserts lights do. So the P.S. actually mimics GI better in 2.0 than in older versions. In the older versions it dims or goes out completely in all of the C.B. mode, munchkin modes and even during battle the witch and probably others I'm not thinking of right now. This is what I meant when I said it's a matter of opinion if the integration in this game is a good thing or bad thing. Regardless I think it's very well done and nearly a must have for WOZ unless it's in a very well lit room, not everyone agrees of course. Good luck with your quest, perhaps the wizard will grant your request!

I stand corrected. But those PS lights should dim. When I look at Lloyd's, it stays football stadium bright during the dark modes. Not my preference.

I like my room dim, so I am going to do something. The drain and back under the cabinet lights help, but still harm the game light effect. Maybe I will move those to another game and try PS?

Thanks, bobukcat and LTG for all that info on PS lights. If JJP does not straighten things out with the GI's on WOZ 2.0, it will be an option for me. Given JJP great track record of game support, I am hopeful.

I wish PS website had more information about operation of their mod. I would like to see more about controls / brightness levels / operation / setup. Videos can be misleading because camera's adjust to the lowest light level, but as they look in the videos, they are too bright.

1 week later
#74 5 years ago

I just got off the phone with JJP tech. They are very nice to spend so much time with me.

I have been informed that although the software does not change the brightness of the GI's, they are at full power and cannot be made brighter.

I cannot compare the 7.5V GI's and 2.0 side by side, but I swear that these new GI's are not as bright as the old ones. I have tried every physical orientation on the light tubes. The GI light under the slingshot is not nearly as bright as an insert LED off one of the boards, even when the LEDs are set to the lowest setting. That may be due to using the light tube for the GIs?

At this point, I might:

- Give up.
- Try modifying the light tubes (shining up the bottom?) to transmit more light.
- See if I can get a RGB lamp in shape of a bulb to hook up in place of these GI's and the lamp tube (not seeing any).

I have noticed that when the GI boards are screwed into the playfield, that they 'bow' a little bit. Perhaps this prevents the full brightness of the LED from shining up the tube? I thought I checked this but will revisit.

Being stubborn, I was thinking of taking measurements to the GI LEDs and the board LEDs to compare the voltages. Not sure if a DVM will suffice or I have to break out the scope?

The GI boards appear to use the same "LED, SMT, high power RGB 624/527/470 nm" as the main boards.
[As an aside, I think it is interesting that the resistor in series with the red is 75 ohms, while the others are 18 - to balance the color I expect?]

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lhammer610.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-installed-woz-20-yet-im-about-too-?tu=lhammer610 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.