(Topic ID: 26443)

Has anyone hooked up a Flipper Fidelity kit to their AC/DC Premium?

By gweempose

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Spankey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I'm considering purchasing Michael's $190 kit for my AC/DC Premium. Have any of you hooked this up to your game yet, and if so, what are your thoughts? Does it make a huge difference?

#2 11 years ago

Nothing against flipper fidelity. I love their products. But in this case, check out my thread. For half the price you can end up with something so much better it's not even close: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/massively-improve-your-acdc-premiumle-sound-under-80

#3 11 years ago

Mark helped me with mine like in his thread.
    It is badass.
    Turned the game to 11.
    I highly recommend this.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'm considering purchasing Michael's $190 kit for my AC/DC Premium. Have any of you hooked this up to your game yet, and if so, what are your thoughts? Does it make a huge difference?

It does and I have played it personally at Mike's house.

I have a set on order that will be here next week, I believe Mike is building them per order since they are made specific for this game.

Honestly I would stick to what Mike is selling... I mean no offense but the above mode looks like someone who didn't know anything about stereo equipment would be riding around with in some POS car. Strait Ghetto! I would not want that in my game plus there is a thing called overkill. It's only a pinball machine for the love of God!

I had a homemade system in my TZ that reminds the custom setup posted here, never cared for it.

Again... You like what you like and I am sure Mark's setup sounds amazing but...

#5 11 years ago

I got ff kits in two of my games...
    My homie fattrain has a monster sub under his acdc.
    Acdc with the amp blows all of them away IMO.
    How can you knock it without out trying it or heard it?
    Michael is a good guy with excellent customer service but for me adding the amp and backbox speaker is the best on the market that I have played.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

I have a set on order that will be here next week, I believe Mike is building them per order since they are made specific for this game.

Just saw this...I guess I haven't heard the new one. I was thinking the standard ff kit

#7 11 years ago

Has mike done anything to the design for acdc or xmen or is it the same ol same ol.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Has mike done anything to the design for acdc or xmen or is it the same ol same ol.

The AC/DC one must be quite a bit different. It costs $50 more than any of the others.

#9 11 years ago

I don't believe it includes an amp though. As I detailed in my post, the stern 25 watt amp is not enough power to drive that 8 ohm 12" speaker. But replacing it with a 4 ohm more efficient speaker might help. But I guarantee it won't come close to the solution I presented with the amp. Typically, your more efficient speakers are also your cheaper ones so there's a likelihood that you'll end up with a lesser quality sub to get more efficiency.

Note, I only went all out on acdc here. I don't think any amp is needed for other games. Reason is its a music pin so you do want it to sound better. Secondly, the 12" speaker just needs more power to make it move properly. I'm not sure what is "ghetto" about this solution. And I take some offense to the "someone that doesn't know anything about stereo equipment" crack. I doubt someone without a clue could have written paragraphs on the why and how it works as I did on my original post.

#10 11 years ago

I put a powered sub on mine and pulled the wires off the cab speaker - sounds great!

Scott

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I'm not sure what is "ghetto" about this solution. And I take some offense to the "someone that doesn't know anything about stereo equipment" crack.

The remarks were definitely uncalled for.

#12 11 years ago

When i dropped in a quality 4 ohm 10" sub it was a vast improvement.

#13 11 years ago

Might check out the new high energy from pinball pro as well

#14 11 years ago

adding ff tweets and removing the cap does improve the sound quality. you'll have to do a semi-custom config.

Adding an ex polk sub to the stock 12 sub will also make a huge difference.

if i kept the game i would of experimented with markmon's mod.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

When i dropped in a quality 4 ohm 10" sub it was a vast improvement.

And this is further evidence to support my post. A 10" sub will require less power to move than the 12". And a 4 ohm will see the full 25 watts from the internal amp than the 8 ohms stern shipped. I'm guessing the flipper fidelity solution provides a speaker replacement. But for the same price you can keep your speaker and just put a real sub amp on it to drive it. Sorry if it sounds like I'm beating a dead horse here. But I have a decent amount of experience with these things and want to make sure you are all making the most informed decisions.

Quoted from WeirPinball:

I put a powered sub on mine and pulled the wires off the cab speaker - sounds great!
    Scott

I had a $110 powered sub hooked up prior to the internal amp solution. The cheap external sub actually sounded awesome. But the internal solution with the amp was cheaper and sounded better. Plus no sub hanging out on the floor. As far as installation, the procedure between the two is almost identical. Rather than routing the wires to your external sub's amp outside the cabinet, route them to a sub amp inside the cabinet. Note also that you do not have to use the service port for power as I did. You can use the 120v white and black wires that go to the coin door for the bill accepter. I just didn't want to splice into those wires and didn't feel the need to since the sub amps are auto sensing (power off on no sound signal).

#16 11 years ago

I put in the FF Speaker kit in this weekend. Liking the results so far. The sub shakes a lot more than the stock speakers and audio is much cleaner. It is a 12" sub so most likely the cause of the higher price. Installation was a breeze. Can't go wrong with Flipper Fidelity.

Also, put in the LED kit for backbox. Michael did a great job on this one.

#17 11 years ago

Markmon, I have been considering the FF kit but your recommended setup is definitely intriguing. I still remember way back in high school how just installing an amp in my car system made a huge difference on the sound quality. But, although I really want my AC/DC to sound the best it can, I have been a little hesitant to introduce additional power to the pin. I am certainly no sound or electronics expert, so am I just a noob being overly cautious or are there any potential dangers of the amp overpowering anything or frying the sound board or something like that? I guess I just have to convince myself that there really is no more danger to me harming my pin with an amplified system than simply installing a FF kit. (perhaps I need to re-read your full post on your set-up as well!)

Also, do you think there would be any conflict if I decided to add one of the available headphone kits later (Buckwerx or Pinnovator PinPAC for example) with an amplified system similar to yours installed vs. a FF kit?

#18 11 years ago

My FF kit will be here today, installation tonight.

#19 11 years ago

Got my speakers today but the link online to install them is broke and there were no directions included. : \

Install seems straight forward but for those who have installed them, what directions did you use?

#20 11 years ago

If you want a free upgrade ,just take the speaker grill off the woofer.

Jim

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

Markmon, I have been considering the FF kit but your recommended setup is definitely intriguing. I still remember way back in high school how just installing an amp in my car system made a huge difference on the sound quality. But, although I really want my AC/DC to sound the best it can, I have been a little hesitant to introduce additional power to the pin. I am certainly no sound or electronics expert, so am I just a noob being overly cautious or are there any potential dangers of the amp overpowering anything or frying the sound board or something like that? I guess I just have to convince myself that there really is no more danger to me harming my pin with an amplified system than simply installing a FF kit. (perhaps I need to re-read your full post on your set-up as well!)
    Also, do you think there would be any conflict if I decided to add one of the available headphone kits later (Buckwerx or Pinnovator PinPAC for example) with an amplified system similar to yours installed vs. a FF kit?

The amp doesn't run off the sound board. If anything, adding the amp will reduce strain and heat from the stern sound board since the external amp will be taking over. The stern load will go from 8 ohms to virtually no load eliminating the stern sub amp from doing any work at all.

#23 11 years ago

I'm sure interested in hearing a comparison from those who have actually heard both the FF PREM/LE kit and Markmon's speaker mod.

In the meantime, hats off to Markmon for the How-To and what's mostly likely a killer cost-effective solution.

#24 11 years ago

Thanks Markmon, I appreciate the update...!

#25 11 years ago

I will say this about the FF speaker upgrade. My game can rumble more than enough with the upgraded sub. Personally, I don't feel the need for more bass than I already have and as stated before, there is added clarity as well. Especially SR's call outs.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-hooked-up-a-flipper-fidelity-kit-to-their-acdc-premium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.