Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by MrWizzo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Several odd and intermittant problems have started on my WOZ.

Even though "collect" is lit, Haunted Scoring does not activate. Checked switch in test mode and switch matrix connectors on the main board. No obvious issues there. It fails to collect more now than it awards a new mode.

Without the ball being in the VUK or on the castle playfield, RESCUE will randomly appear on the screen as if the ball was up there.

On certain times, and I have not figured the pattern out yet, a ball shot through the doors on the castle playfield will not be ejected. A ball search must happen to get the ball out. Seems like a software issue.

All connectors seem tight.

Thanks,

Dan

#2 9 years ago

I would go into your switch tests and check all switches and look for something off.
Use the pinball to confirm switch operations. Not your fingers or hand (actually roll the ball over the switch). WOZ has a great diagnostic program and on-screen matrix that can help you find a switch acting silly. I'm sure others may have even more tips as well. Can also e-mail Lloyd or call/e-mail Ken at JJP. Both very helpful and very nice guys.

#3 9 years ago

If you shoot a ball into the door before they are fully closed ( a ball kind of slips through) I get the ball search. 'Haven't had the other problems.

#4 9 years ago

For haunted issue, I would verify that the spinner is not getting triggered by vibration. If the spinner switch triggers, the software will likely consider it a crystal ball shot instead of a haunted shot.

Rescue appearing on the screen is almost certainly a switch that needs adjusting. As others have said, go into switch test and try to debug. I would bang on the play field to create vibration to see what get's triggered.

#5 9 years ago

Guys,

Thanks for your replies, which I think have solved the mysteries.

I noticed that the ball really being bashed around the bumpers would trigger rescue, and banging on the playfield did as well, so diagnotics will show the switch. Good suggestion.

For some reason I thought Haunted Forest awards were collected through the spinner as well. Mystery solved, must drain from bumpers into VUK to collect award. Verified with glass off.

Ball stuck in castle seems explained as well.

Your help greatly appreciated.

Dan

#6 9 years ago

Dan,

Don't forget about the 'kill bumper' feature when trying to get your Haunted on. Hold both flippers after Haunted is lit, and the pops stop popping. If you time it right, you can get it to sink into VUK pretty reliably.

#7 9 years ago

Hogbog,

Interesting philosophical question you pose there, "Can someone forget something they never knew?"

I had no idea whatsoever about this and would never have figured that out. Thanks. How did you discover this?

This game must have tons of stuff I have yet to discover. Really well thought out.

One other thing I think is in there -- when collect is blinking shooting the ball into the spinner when the owl is on the crystal ball awards haunted scoring.

Dan

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

I had no idea whatsoever about this

Sure, you did! I told you about it when you were playing mine.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Thanks. How did you discover this?

I may have some inside information.

I'm the EE for JJP and have playtested/helped QC every version of code since before 1.0.

#10 9 years ago

Don't think the crystal ball owl shot works to collect Haunted award.

Quoted from herg:

Sure, you did! I told you about it when you were playing mine.

What did I tell you about wasting perfectly good information on my ever decreasing powers of retention!

I remembered about how to set up the capture dorothy feature, but that's about it.

I will try to do better next time....

Quoted from Hogbog:

I may have some inside information.
I'm the EE for JJP and have playtested/helped QC every version of code since before 1.0.

What is your monthly retainer?

Dan

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

What is your monthly retainer?

I'm a full-time employee with JJP. I'm currently working on the electronics for Pat's game, having finished up Hobbit.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

I'm a full-time employee with JJP. I'm currently working on the electronics for Pat's game, having finished up Hobbit.

You missed what might not have been humor.

Dan

#13 9 years ago

The left door switch was being closed by vibration causing the phantom RESCUE to show up on the screen with no ball on the playfield.

Removed the castle playfield to inspect the switch. Not what I would call user-friendly engineering under there.

Tightened the return spring and bent the arm a bit that closes the switch a little closer to the switch.

Reassembled everything. Banged on the playfield. No phantoms. But now the left door wouldn't close.

Hoping to not have to remove the playfield again, I pulled the playfield out and pushing down on the front of it, raised the rear, pointed the PF to about 11:00 and rested ithe back left corner on the left side rail.

This gave me a perfect view of what was going on. When the door opened, the arm on the door shaft that closes the switch was being held back by excess solder sticking out from some small board right there.

I gently filed the solder back until the door closed freely. Works perfectly now. No hangups, no phantoms.

I missed a connector when I tested the castle doors. As a result the witch rasied above her stopping point and fell off the guideposts. Man, what in the world did I do now!

Thankfully when the connector was back in position, she behaved.

It has made me think that the more that is packed into a game, the less accessible things seem to become.

Dan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
13,000 (OBO)
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 91.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-had-these-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.