(Topic ID: 332487)

Has anyone had Stern repair a game before?

By tgarrett09

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by qbass187
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hello everyone! This may be long winded but I am hoping to get some guidance from anyone who experienced similar.

I am new to the world of pinball but decided to dive in an order a new in box Godzilla Premium as my first machine. I did the usual, placed a deposit with a dealer to secure a spot on the latest run then paid in full when it was ready to ship. Here’s where it starts to go wrong…

Last week, the game arrived via FedEx. I did a quick inspection of the box and it all looked good so I signed for it and moved it into my house. Soon as I opened the lid I immediately noticed significant damage to the cabinet. The one corner was crushed, and the side panel was now separating from the front panel. The back box and side rail also suffered some damage. There may be more but I didn’t unbox to find out. It was clear that even though the box looked fine, FedEx dropped this thing at some point.

I called the dealer and he was sympathetic and arranged for the machine to be sent back to stern to be repaired. It will arrive there tomorrow.

Has anyone ever had this done or been in a similar situation? I feel pretty devastated to be buying a brand new machine but being out $10k with nothing to show for it for who knows how long. I’m not really sure to expect going forward once Stern gets the pin back in their possession so I’d really appreciate any insights anyone might have.

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

Given the extent of damage, they’ll likely put everything into a new cabinet, test and pack up like new. Haven’t had it happen to me, but seen a few similar resolutions posted here. They definitely won’t spend a bunch of labor hours trying if fix the cabinet. Only concern I’d have is how long it will take - and making sure they use different carrier. Probably goes without saying, but don’t worry about making the driver wait while you cut a side off of box to fully inspect.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Probably goes without saying, but don’t worry about making the driver wait while you cut a side off of box to fully inspect.

Lesson learned for sure there! Thanks for the input

#4 1 year ago

I'm glad your dealer is sympathetic and helpful.

But I wish you had a different experience.

The best way to buy pinballs for most people is not NIB.

Bad things can happen.

The best way would be to buy from a local dealer who brings you a working game that has already had the NIB issues repaired, who installs the pinball properly in your house, and provides local after-the-sale service and support.

A lot of people don't have that option in their area, and you might be one of those people who just couldn't get that level of support.

But I'm still sorry you had this experience with a NIB.

Work with your dealer. This is going to take some time to get resolved, but I'm confident you'll get a good machine in the end.

#5 1 year ago

FedEX really is the worst for shipping pinball. Probably most things, come to think of it. I can only imagine FedEX is just so much more cheaper than another other freight company for Stern to deal with. The FedEX horror stories NEVER end.
    Bummer of a story, man.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-had-stern-repair-a-game-before and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.