litho (resized).png
20211207_101757 (resized).jpg
20211207_101802 (resized).jpg
20211207_105732 (resized).jpg
1AC67961-5FE2-42E9-B6B6-D165742C1DA5.gif
Screenshot_20211204-105237_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211204-105158_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211204-105210_Facebook (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Thermionic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Why does it have to be this difficult, why isn't there a menu item to disable it?

I would imagine this is something Stern will address fairly soon in a code update. Given that this is the first machine with this "feature", it's not unreasonable to think that there will be refinements and adjustments made as it rolls out, and the ability to dim or turn off (preferably automatically) while playing seems like one of those things they may not have previously thought of during development and should be easy enough to accomplish with a couple of lines of code. Stern always hits a few bogeys initially with every new game, but I think they do a pretty consistently good job of quickly addressing them once they become widely known.

Sure you can unplug stuff, cut wires, cover with tape, spackle the opening in the apron etc., but those are very inelegant solutions and definitely not things I would want to do to my brand-new game that's closing in on $10k!

In defense of the OP being bothered by the brightness, some individuals are quite sensitive to bright sources of light in their peripheral vision and simply cannot ignore it. This may be due to susceptibility to migraines or the presence of any number of eye or other neuro issues, or the individual could simply be a "normal variant" with some minor anatomical quirk that's not pathological but does result in annoying but minor issues such as this.

That being said, this feature seems like a truly substantial upgrade to Stern's platform and I for one am eager to experience it for myself and even a bit excited to see how pinball evolves in response. This could end up being an even more significant an upgrade to the pinball "experience" than the transition from the SS to the DMD era was!

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

These arguments are hilarious in the context of a pinball machine that has game play and features around bright flashing led lights. I'm sure Stern will implement something to silence the complainers but can't help but laugh at the reasoning here. This isn't a incandescent pinball game with one bright LED in the corner.

Well then just be grateful you aren't one of the sensitive ones, and perhaps muster up a little empathy for those that are!

The key difference is, the bright flashing lights on the playfield are in the player's central vision and are the focus of his/her attention. Sources of light in the peripheral visual field (even if dimmer than the playfield lights) are a distraction that the brain has to "work around" in order to maintain focus/attention on the playfield; for some people this CAN in fact be an annoyance (or even cause discomfort), and I'd prefer to give these folks the benefit of the doubt rather than ridiculing them as crybabies.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

16,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

€ 178.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Thermionic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-figured-out-how-to-turn-off-the-qr-reader?tu=Thermionic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.