litho (resized).png
20211207_101757 (resized).jpg
20211207_101802 (resized).jpg
20211207_105732 (resized).jpg
1AC67961-5FE2-42E9-B6B6-D165742C1DA5.gif
Screenshot_20211204-105237_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211204-105158_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211204-105210_Facebook (resized).jpg
There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 2 years ago

Looking for a way to disable the QR reader - not everybody wants that damn thing shining in your face all the time. Have people asking me how to turn it off already.

#2 2 years ago

Unplug it? Gotta be a connector somewhere...

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Looking for a way to disable the QR reader - not everybody wants that damn thing shining in your face all the time. Have people asking me how to turn it off already.

What?! Is it really that bright and aimed at the player? Haven't seen one in the wild yet

#4 2 years ago

just unplug it's power source. c'mon, you're not new to this!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

What?! Is it really that bright and aimed at the player? Haven't seen one in the wild yet

not at all.

#6 2 years ago

agreed. the ones i played weren't bright at all.

#7 2 years ago

I thought it was distracting on Godzilla

#8 2 years ago

Hoping there was a setting (I couldn't find one) - but if there is a connector that works

and yes it is distracting. Why have it on if you aren't going to connect the pin anyway.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

just unplug it's power source. c'mon, you're not new to this!

Seriously. Getting stuff to NOT work is about the easiest thing in pinball.

But since this guy has clearly never opened a pinball machine before, here's some suggestions...

Snip a wire
remove a connector
completely remove the assembly
tape a piece of construction paper over it
Black spray paint
Stuff a small chunk of play doh or silly putty in it

#11 2 years ago

Cardstock and a sticker over it?

#12 2 years ago

Did you try the ole bourbon in the Chess Wizard port?

chesswizard1 (resized).jpgchesswizard1 (resized).jpg
#13 2 years ago

I found a way to enjoy my game more by using the thing included in it. An innovation in Pinball that adds objectives and will promote people to revisit past titles and games on location.

DD694AC9-B412-474A-BE25-AA2AA3282B55 (resized).jpegDD694AC9-B412-474A-BE25-AA2AA3282B55 (resized).jpeg
#14 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Hoping there was a setting (I couldn't find one) - but if there is a connector that works
and yes it is distracting. Why have it on if you aren't going to connect the pin anyway.

I'm thinkin of buying the wiz mod apron magnet.

#15 2 years ago

Perhaps Stern could add code that turns it off once a game is started?

#16 2 years ago

It does need to turn off during game. It can shine in your eyes at certain times. A bit of a goof on Stern’s part. It seems to go dark but some motion will activate it again

#17 2 years ago

Distracting? I never even noticed it is there... with it being a faint glow in the lower right corner, outside of the playfield and against the literal HUNDREDS of much brighter lights flashing all over the place, and all.

But I understand... I mean, one cannot be too careful against such a "damn thing shining in your face!" You might catch Permanent Distraction Syndrome - solutions are complex... perhaps put a beer coaster or your phone on top of it? Good luck with your struggle!

#18 2 years ago

Have you tried not staring at it while you play?

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I'm thinkin of buying the wiz mod apron magnet.

This.

#20 2 years ago

next time just slide that card over it, problem solved

unless stern is going to sell you a piece of plastic for $300 that covers it up for you

bfb850535d202c81109b31538fe3743fe4ccc7e9.jpg (resized).pngbfb850535d202c81109b31538fe3743fe4ccc7e9.jpg (resized).png
#21 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Looks like I'm going to write off buying sterns - with the new price hike - I just cancelled my deadpool order - It's to a point where they crossed the line. Bummer because they have some titles I still wanted to get. Someone has to start saying no - Looks like I'll be one of them.

My solution is to follow your own advice and just not buy a Godzilla

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

My solution is to follow your own advice and just not buy a Godzilla

This isn't mine - I'm being asked by people who did buy it. I'm sticking to my guns on not buying NIB. This is the reaction I got setting up an LE for a friend.
me "you can connect this game to your network and use a QR code to add your name to a game instead of pressing the start button"
rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif
me "and if you want to add it to other games you can buy an mod so you can log in on those"

puke.gifpuke.gif
#24 2 years ago

What some of you guys don't understand is not everyone gives a damn about connecting machines and logging in to save scores.

#25 2 years ago

Stern - if you come upon this thread - give us a menu item to disable the QR reader please.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Perhaps Stern could add code that turns it off once a game is started?

Speaking of code hopefully there isn’t code that senses that you’ve tried to disable it. That could be a thing.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Seriously. Getting stuff to NOT work is about the easiest thing in pinball.
But since this guy has clearly never opened a pinball machine before, here's some suggestions...
Snip a wire
remove a connector
completely remove the assembly
tape a piece of construction paper over it
Black spray paint
Stuff a small chunk of play doh or silly putty in it

Why does it have to be this difficult, why isn't there a menu item to disable it?

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Speaking of code hopefully there isn’t code that senses that you’ve tried to disable it. That could be a thing.

Or if they screw the few that don't connect their machines and not allow manual download and updating of code.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

What some of you guys don't understand is not everyone gives a damn about connecting machines and logging in to save scores.

I could be wrong, but I suspect we all probably understand that perfectly well.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

and maybe what you don't understand, is some of us do? Can you show me where on the Godzilla mech Insider Connected hurt you? Just touch it....don't be scared

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

What we understand is it's as simple as putting a 5 cent piece of paper over it if you really are just annoyed at the light from the reader. A solution to your pressing issue that is literally free (just steal a subscription reply card from a People magazine at the dentist) and will take 10 seconds.

What we also understand is you don't really give a shit about that - as the solution is as clear and obvious as the morning sky - and are just doing a stealth humblewhine about something that's really dumb to whine about.

DOn't like it? Don't use it. Don't want to pay for it? Don't buy a Stern game.

Or just make endless dumb threads about how much you hate the implementation of an "innovation" people have been begging for for years, and (shocker) turns out tons of people are really enjoying, even folks who thought they'd hate it.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Why does it have to be this difficult, why isn't there a menu item to disable it?

I would imagine this is something Stern will address fairly soon in a code update. Given that this is the first machine with this "feature", it's not unreasonable to think that there will be refinements and adjustments made as it rolls out, and the ability to dim or turn off (preferably automatically) while playing seems like one of those things they may not have previously thought of during development and should be easy enough to accomplish with a couple of lines of code. Stern always hits a few bogeys initially with every new game, but I think they do a pretty consistently good job of quickly addressing them once they become widely known.

Sure you can unplug stuff, cut wires, cover with tape, spackle the opening in the apron etc., but those are very inelegant solutions and definitely not things I would want to do to my brand-new game that's closing in on $10k!

In defense of the OP being bothered by the brightness, some individuals are quite sensitive to bright sources of light in their peripheral vision and simply cannot ignore it. This may be due to susceptibility to migraines or the presence of any number of eye or other neuro issues, or the individual could simply be a "normal variant" with some minor anatomical quirk that's not pathological but does result in annoying but minor issues such as this.

That being said, this feature seems like a truly substantial upgrade to Stern's platform and I for one am eager to experience it for myself and even a bit excited to see how pinball evolves in response. This could end up being an even more significant an upgrade to the pinball "experience" than the transition from the SS to the DMD era was!

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What we understand is it's as simple as putting a 5 cent piece of paper over it if you really are just annoyed at the light from the reader.
What we also understand is you don't really give a shit about that - as the solution is as clear and obvious as the morning sky - and are just doing a stealth humblewhine about something that's really dumb to whine about.
DOn't like it? Don't use it. Don't want to pay for it? Don't buy a Stern game.
Or just make endless dumb threads about how much you hate the implementation of an "innovation" people have been begging for for years, and (shocker) turns out tons of people are really enjoying, even folks who thought they'd hate it.

i've just come to grips w/ these kind of posts and questions being a a regular thing going forward, as they're just a protest and expression of dislike of this platform, disguised as a tech question.

#34 2 years ago

I have not yet seen this in person yet. But what if someone wants to use the functionality and does find the light annoying while playing. Many people do not like bright LEDs and sometimes change the colour or type to reduce a particular offending light from their playing perspective. It bothers some but not all. I don’t think placing something on the glass is an elegant solution longer term for those that are bothered by it as shaker motors, nudging will dislodge it.

I wouldn’t think that this is a major issue but a very simple code fix would address a minor usability issue that would increase the end user experience for some folks. Isn’t the goal of any product to provide a satisfactory end user experience for as many people as possible while maintaining profitability?

I am not trying to quantify the severity of the issue but if a minor issue like this can be easily/cheaply fixed then Stern should probably add it to a future feature matrix for assessment/implementation.

#35 2 years ago

This post is proof of how pinside has gone to the toilet. I asked a simple question to see if someone knew of a method to turn it off that I didn't know about. Pinside is nothing more than a RGP re-do with the same type of people that can't do anything but sit at their computer and go after people. Go play some pinball instead of commenting here. and if you think my question was to bash stern, it really wasn't other than I don't understand why we can't turn it off without disconnecting a cable or something...

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

In defense of the OP being bothered by the brightness, some individuals are quite sensitive to bright sources of light in their peripheral vision and simply cannot ignore it. This may be due to susceptibility to migraines or the presence of any number of eye or other neuro issues, or the individual could simply be a "normal variant" with some minor anatomical quirk that's not pathological but does result in annoying but minor issues such as this.

These arguments are hilarious in the context of a pinball machine that has game play and features around bright flashing led lights. I'm sure Stern will implement something to silence the complainers but can't help but laugh at the reasoning here. This isn't a incandescent pinball game with one bright LED in the corner.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

This post is proof of how pinside has gone to the toilet. I asked a simple question to see if someone knew of a method to turn it off that I didn't know about. Pinside is nothing more than a RGP re-do with the same type of people that can't do anything but sit at their computer and go after people. Go play some pinball instead of commenting here. and if you think my question was to bash stern, it really wasn't other than I don't understand why we can't turn it off without disconnecting a cable or something...

I don't plan on using mine and there should eventually be a setting to shut it off. This should be obvious to Stern and would think it would be implemented in future code. No different than having the ability to turn the knocker, shaker, music or any other feature off. First thing I do on any JJP is disable that annoying fucking camera, give people options and that is that period.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Or if they screw the few that don't connect their machines and not allow manual download and updating of code.

I'm hoping this doesn't happen, we are still on dsl in our rural area, and updates are hard to accomplish as is. No way wifi will reach our room to auto download new code.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

These arguments are hilarious in the context of a pinball machine that has game play and features around bright flashing led lights. I'm sure Stern will implement something to silence the complainers but can't help but laugh at the reasoning here. This isn't a incandescent pinball game with one bright LED in the corner.

Well then just be grateful you aren't one of the sensitive ones, and perhaps muster up a little empathy for those that are!

The key difference is, the bright flashing lights on the playfield are in the player's central vision and are the focus of his/her attention. Sources of light in the peripheral visual field (even if dimmer than the playfield lights) are a distraction that the brain has to "work around" in order to maintain focus/attention on the playfield; for some people this CAN in fact be an annoyance (or even cause discomfort), and I'd prefer to give these folks the benefit of the doubt rather than ridiculing them as crybabies.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

I found a way to enjoy my game more by using the thing included in it. An innovation in Pinball that adds objectives and will promote people to revisit past titles and games on location.
[quoted image]

If I were to print out your tag from this photo, can I play as you?

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

If I were to print out your tag from this photo, can I play as you?

Technically, but you can regenerate your code at any time, useful in case you accidentally post it on Pinside.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

we are still on dsl in our rural area, and updates are hard to accomplish as is. No way wifi will reach our room to auto download new code.

There are many, many ways to put wi-fi wherever one wants it. Wi-Fi connects to your router (LAN), your router connects to your internet(WAN).
If you need more details PM me, happy to make some recommendations.

#43 2 years ago

I can understand how some people think it's annoying and others don't really care that's its on. I find it puzzling that Stern is installing these at the factory. They could have shipped without and anyone that wants one can pony up the $199 and install it like you have to do for past Spike 2 games. I've been to several locations and they look to be on but they're not even configured so it doesn't work. Stern doesn't install toppers or tournament buttons at the factory either. Stern missed an opportunity to raise prices $800+ on new games and sell this separately for those that want it.

#44 2 years ago

I'd chalk it up as mildly distracting. It's not like it gave me a headache or caused me to lose my ball, but I did notice it while I was playing. Adding functionality that turned it off during game play is an excellent idea.

Or at least when the ball is in play. If you did it as soon as a game was started and wanted to add more players, if it was off completely, you wouldn't be able to add anyone else with their code.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I can understand how some people think it's annoying and others don't really care. I find it puzzling that Stern is installing these at the factory. They could have shipped without and anyone that wants one can pony up the $199 and install it like you have to do for past Spike 2 games.

They spent a lot of time and money creating something people have said they were clamoring for for years, and they want to promote its adoption. You do that by installing it in every game you build. Seems pretty clear why they did it this way...having it be an "option" means there would be Godzillas on location that don't have it. Every one, a missed opportunity to promote this product to players, which would be a puzzling move.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They spent a lot of time and money creating something people have said they were clamoring for for years, and they want to promote its adoption. You do that by installing it in every game you build. Seems pretty clear why they did it this way...having it be an "option" means there would be Godzillas on location that don't have it. Every one, a missed opportunity to promote this product to players.

Eh. Every location I've been to they're not even configured. The only place I've been able to use it was Expo. We'll see if it goes the way of the Tops tournament system.

#47 2 years ago

Yea I really don’t understand the outrage over the question. The man wants the simple ability to deactivate an apron light for a new feature that is optional and he will not use. Seems perfectly reasonable and I’m sure stern will code it in. It’s not an indictment on stern, just a feature request. Fanboys need to get a grip.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Or is this post just a continuation of your “F you Stern…” rant thread (where you went off about this) that you merely brought into yet another thread?

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Yea I really don’t understand the outrage over the question. The man wants the simple ability to deactivate an apron light for a new feature that is optional and he will not use.

He made it pretty clear that he only posted the "question" as an excuse to recycle his previous rants about how shitty the product it is and how Stern just wants to fuck everybody. He doesn't even own a game with QR reader and swears he never will.

It's disingenuous, and these days people are getting kind of sick of that kind of thing. I mean this is the "F U Stern guy" for chrissakes...he deserves the benefit of the doubt?! He's established himself as a one-issue voter, and that issue is "F U Stern."

#50 2 years ago

Granted I have not seen one in person but it cant be any more distracting than the lighting/flasher effects on a typical game. Its easily fixable in the most basic of ways.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

16,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Tampa, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brookings, OR
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 210.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Pinball Machine
Mad Pinball Shop

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Island, NY
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 114.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 375.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinMod Industries

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-figured-out-how-to-turn-off-the-qr-reader?hl=famdockevin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.