litho (resized).png
20211207_101757 (resized).jpg
20211207_101802 (resized).jpg
20211207_105732 (resized).jpg
1AC67961-5FE2-42E9-B6B6-D165742C1DA5.gif
Screenshot_20211204-105237_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211204-105158_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211204-105210_Facebook (resized).jpg
There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
#251 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I keep repeating myself because nobody can seem to answer the questions?

I guess I have not taken it upon myself to call Stern because I do not own Godzilla.

I like the armchair quarterbacks poo pooing the OP and trying to make him feel that trying to turn off the qr reader is silly.

Hmmmm…..

#252 2 years ago

This has got to be the dumbest thread in pinside history.

“Hey, how do you turn off the QR reader?!”

Pinside- here’s 20 ways to do it.

“no! No! NOOOOOO! how do you turn off the QR reader?! Huh?! ANSWER ME!! White butthole white butthole!!!!”

#253 2 years ago

keep waiting for someone to go the other direction and sell custom RGB light strips for this thing.

#254 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

It's really not so much the light as the ugliness of it ,for me anyways. Would if been just as easy to use on coindoor. And on the le games, you lose a nice lighted area of art work to an ugly, out of place, lit ,square hole. This is the only negative in the entire game .

When you take a close-up photo of it, sure, it doesn't look terrific by itself. But the game's artwork, apron, and playfield are so busy, it really didn't stand out that much to me.

Photo I took at Pintastic yesterday:

20211119125659154 (resized).jpg20211119125659154 (resized).jpg
#255 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I honestly think it is really crazy that people cannot just disable in settings and people saying just to unplug it? Again not a real solution.

Explain to me, as if I were five years old, how unplugging it isn't a real solution. It does what you want to do, immediately. What about this isn't a solution?

#256 2 years ago
Quoted from Frish_Prence:

Explain to me, as if I were five years old, how unplugging it isn't a real solution. It does what you want to do, immediately. What about this isn't a solution?

Well, the OP doesn't even actually have a Godzilla right now anyway. So you can't unplug what you don't have. Plus, an actual Godzilla owner could confirm the cover up is included with the game, which would be the most obvious solution.

#257 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Plus, an actual Godzilla owner could confirm the cover up is included with the game, which would be the most obvious solution.

NOT included with the game… at least I didn’t get one.

#258 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

NOT included with the game… at least I didn’t get one.

I think its a myth. I did not find one in the bag.

#259 2 years ago

The is no cover for it. It’s new technology and here to stay. Get used to it. It’s a nice addition.

#260 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

The is no cover for it. It’s new technology and here to stay. Get used to it.

24A802C2-AEBF-412D-A822-58B2955FFE29 (resized).jpeg24A802C2-AEBF-412D-A822-58B2955FFE29 (resized).jpeg

#261 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

The is no cover for it. It’s new technology and here to stay. Get used to it. It’s a nice addition.

qr (resized).jpgqr (resized).jpg
#262 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Idk. I played today with a card over it and really preferred it this way. The light is brighter than you imagine, once you cover and play. Hope there's a solution soon.

#263 2 years ago

This is on plain copy paper. Waiting for ink to dry on plastic . Hope someone can better this idea,

20211121_122543 (resized).jpg20211121_122543 (resized).jpg20211121_122553 (resized).jpg20211121_122553 (resized).jpg20211121_122606 (resized).jpg20211121_122606 (resized).jpg20211121_122610 (resized).jpg20211121_122610 (resized).jpg
#264 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

So far, I'm thoroughly unimpressed with it. Since I don't care about achievements, it doesn't yet offer anything to me really. We have a GZ on location here, and I usually don't even bother scanning in. Hopefully, it'll offer something of interest to me eventually. The operator stuff is more interesting to me than anything else,, since I route games.

BTW, the cost on these is insane. No way there is anything close to 200 dollars worth of value here. You can buy a 30 dollar phone from a convenience store, download a free QR reader app. And get the same functionality as this 200 piece of equipment from Stern.

#265 2 years ago

Or, you could

9DF45622-EAAF-4A7A-9921-F88EE751DC60.gif9DF45622-EAAF-4A7A-9921-F88EE751DC60.gif
#266 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I asked my wife what she thought-she totally agreed with me that it is an eye sore and she also agreed that Stern messed up by putting it on the apron. She agreed that it should have been placed on front of coin door.

#thingsourwivessaytogetustoshutthehellup

#267 2 years ago

Yeah the “my wife agrees with me” gambit is the last bastion of a desperate scoundrel around here.

We’ve seen people say their wives notice playfield dimples and are as upset about it as they are. We’ve seen wives complain about insert ghosting.

Your wives, friends, and kids don’t give a shit about any of this stuff. They are just telling you what you want to hear. Please stop invoking their imaginary outrage during dumb pinside arguments!!

#268 2 years ago

Yeah that backlit hole is just begging for some cool mod with maybe a nuke bomb outline and red gel film?

#269 2 years ago

So it looks like the Wizard mod guy got shut down because of IP violation? Really interesting how he had product for months(violating IP) but all of the sudden you want to cover up Stern's new reader and now it is definitely an IP violation.

You guys are onto something trying to cover but I feel the whole apron will need to be covered so you do not see advertising as well. Hoping people will contact Stern's support and ask for this to be added to the menu settings for being able to disable.

Please contact-it takes an army to get things changed: https://sternpinball.com/support/contact-us/

Haha Levi-I feel sorry for someone without a great significant other to share life with. Yes I ask my wife about a lot of things and she is always no bullshit and honest and I respect her opinion. Having a great wife is what makes life great. She thinks the qr
reader looks like ass and so do I

Now who will step up and make a apron cover mod for future games? Not interested in RUSH until I can get one

#270 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Haha Levi-I feel sorry for someone without a great significant other to share life with.

Haha man how I wish that were true sometimes!!

With my significant other’s completely unprompted intense opinions on all things pinball - from cabinet protectors, playfield dimpling, and especially the intricacies of the Stern insider system and QR code reader, I just can’t get a word in edgewise these days!!!

And lord, don’t get her started on Stern’s “build quality” these days; you’ll never hear the end of it!!!! She’s like Marissa Tomei on the stand talking about the slip differential on a 64 Bonneville!!!

#271 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

BTW, the cost on these is insane. No way there is anything close to 200 dollars worth of value here. You can buy a 30 dollar phone from a convenience store, download a free QR reader app. And get the same functionality as this 200 piece of equipment from Stern.

Let me know when you get that $30 phone integrated with stern's online services, talking to the pinball machine, and not looking even worse taped to the apron.

"Same functionality" my entire ass.

1 week later
#272 2 years ago

The Pinball Oracle of Wisconsin is speaking up aboot this travesty on Metabook....

Screenshot_20211204-104958_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211204-104958_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211204-105114_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211204-105114_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211204-105158_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211204-105158_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211204-105210_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211204-105210_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211204-105237_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211204-105237_Facebook (resized).jpg
#273 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The Pinball Oracle of Wisconsin is speaking up aboot this travesty on Metabook....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is that Hilton's alter-ego?

Nothing to see here... someone tries to outsmart the game and loses... and then blames others. Seriously he could cut out a piece of cardboard or a photo in less time then he spent making those posts.

This is someone with an ax to grind trying to make mountains out of molehills so they get what they want... games without IC.

#274 2 years ago

Bad news for home users hoping to share one scanner between multiple games too, though.

#275 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Nothing to see here... someone tries to outsmart the game and loses... and then blames others.

The request to have an option to disable use of IC is quite reasonable.

#276 2 years ago

The way people are reacting to this is so stupid. Old people are funny

#277 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Old people are funny

Especially the way we smell!

#278 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Let me know when you get that $30 phone integrated with stern's online services, talking to the pinball machine, and not looking even worse taped to the apron.
"Same functionality" my entire ass.

LOL. The point is the 30 dollar smart phone has a qr reader and enough cpu power to communicate with the game. How much processing power do you really think that little node board on the connect reader really has? Besides, I'd be very surprised if the Stern QR reader does more than tell the game who is logged in. Most likely, the game's CPU is doing the heavy lifting. Afterall, the ethernet cable / wifi goes to the main board, not the reader.

Stern is obviously amortizing the development and coding costs with each connect system sold. The price clearly isn't based on materials, otherwise the Prem/LE kits would be cheaper. Since those kits don't come with an apron. And like I said, a device capable of reading qr codes doesn't cost $200.

#279 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Nope. The error also happens on games that don’t have the IC hardware. The request to have an option to disable use of IC is quite reasonable.

Cite?

By your definition all the games running latest code now die over a node board missing message? That's not my understanding. Only Godzilla is behaving as NEEDING to see the new node board.

#280 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Stern is obviously amortizing the development and coding costs with each connect system sold

Wait.. you mean like every product in existence?

#281 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes, I guess so! But they wouldn't have to. Since the qr reader is the gateway to neverending revenue from dlc-type content, subscriptions, and unlockables. That's where the real money will be.

Just played a tourney today, guess how many players I saw log into the connect system on Godzilla? Zero.

Not saying I hate connect, but it has a long way to go to prove a net plus. Especially when it costs 200 dollars, and was used as an excuse to raise prices on all games by 300 dollars.

#282 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Only Godzilla is behaving as NEEDING to see the new node board.

Yes. (I misread the originally referenced post and updated mine).

#283 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Yes. (I misread the originally referenced post and updated mine).

It's a simple thing to disable - the truth is these guys are trying to make it into something bigger to try to make their point.

They put a price card in the game (which Stern doesn't include) - they can put a card over the QR scanner. Reality is they tried a hack, it didn't work, and now are trying to make that into some 'problem'.

#284 2 years ago

From the other thread:

“ Report from my freshly installed BKSoR IC kit...
… while I was there I noticed at one point it seemed to randomly restart during attract mode. Hopefully this was just a fluke and doesn't happen during any customer games.”

#285 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Just played a tourney today, guess how many players I saw log into the connect system on Godzilla? Zero.

Played in a tournament yesterday and several players happily logged into the GZ.

#286 2 years ago

The reality is not everyone wants to connect these games and use a qr code. The easiest thing to do would be to have on/off as an option like the shaker

#287 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

I logged in.

#288 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

1AC67961-5FE2-42E9-B6B6-D165742C1DA5.gif1AC67961-5FE2-42E9-B6B6-D165742C1DA5.gif
#289 2 years ago

Ha, nice! Guess I missed that. I logged in the first few times I played GZ to try it out, but didn't feel compelled to more than that. I did at least say that "I saw" So I wasn't technically wrong!

I figure that I will probably log in when I play at home, maybe I'll keep a print out of the qr code by the game or something.

#290 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

The reality is not everyone wants to connect these games and use a qr code. The easiest thing to do would be to have on/off as an option

Doing nothing is easier that creating an additional option and instructing those not interested to use it.
Not interested parties can already use the existing option of doing nothing to not use Stern Insider Connected.

#291 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

The reality is not everyone wants to connect these games and use a qr code. The easiest thing to do would be to have on/off as an option like the shaker

They already have it off by default.

Their grievance is the QR reader light? Then cover it up!

They already have to deal with the default IC graphics and labels.

It is trying to die on a pointless hill because the solution is already at their fingertips

#292 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

So CrySnow found a spot that would accept his dribble, how nice. Wonder how his IFPA substitute point system is going.

#293 2 years ago

Maybe not a final fix but better than that damn light. A piece of transparent blue and image under the apron. Easy to pull off

20211207_105732 (resized).jpg20211207_105732 (resized).jpg

20211207_101802 (resized).jpg20211207_101802 (resized).jpg20211207_101757 (resized).jpg20211207_101757 (resized).jpg
#294 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Maybe not a final fix but better than that damn light. A piece of transparent blue and image under the apron. Easy to pull off
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice - I like it

#295 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

This is on plain copy paper. Waiting for ink to dry on plastic . Hope someone can better this idea,
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I had been thinking a 3d printed lithophane would work great for a permanent coverup. They're intended to be backlit and the QR window is essentially a ready made frame.

Many slicers will have an option somewhere that will take most any image and perform the intermediate steps to produce a ready to print file, but even the ones that don't automate anything it's usually just a matter of giving them a 2d image and adjusting a few settings.

As more games are released that come with IC from the factory, I'd be shocked if we don't see tons of options showing up for sale from mod-makers, downloadable options popping up on 3D printing sites and one off jobs people cook up at home.

Here's a random example pulled off the internet of one that would look great if they did a modern remake/vault of LOTR.
litho (resized).pnglitho (resized).png

#296 2 years ago

worried about not having a software switch to turn off a light so players aren't confused... but not worried about any of this...

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 3.37.12 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-12-07 at 3.37.12 PM (resized).png

#297 2 years ago

Unless I am missing something, if you also prevent enabling the Wi-Fi, the QR reader won't work. If Wi-Fi was enabled and you don't want to use the feature, you can disable it.

#298 2 years ago
Quoted from pinball2020:

Unless I am missing something, if you also prevent enabling the Wi-Fi, the QR reader won't work. If Wi-Fi was enabled and you don't want to use the feature, you can disable it.

But the light stays on

#299 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

But the light stays on

nooo.gifnooo.gif

It might just be time to accept defeat. The only way to win this battle is to gouge one's eyes out.

#300 2 years ago

Are people still arguing about something a few millimeters of white electric tape could handle?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Island, NY
$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
PINBALLPICKERS

$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-figured-out-how-to-turn-off-the-qr-reader/page/6?hl=horse_cop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.