litho (resized).png
20211207_101757 (resized).jpg
20211207_101802 (resized).jpg
20211207_105732 (resized).jpg
1AC67961-5FE2-42E9-B6B6-D165742C1DA5.gif
Screenshot_20211204-105237_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211204-105158_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211204-105210_Facebook (resized).jpg
There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.
#151 2 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

So why exactly is this even necessary? Who and why would anyone be scanning their QR code from something other than their phone?

People who just want to print off their card and no mess with their phone? Helpful for a home owner so they can just leave their printed out code sitting on the glass...

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wild. Didn’t know Ethernet can carry power too.

It's pretty neat. The CAT-6 cable carries the data line between the node boards and a 48V rail that the node boards step down to the voltages they need for different applications (solenoids, LEDs, motors, LCD screens, etc). Reduces a lot of wiring and they can use one 48V switching power supply, instead of a collection of them providing different voltages or a bulkier transformer.

#152 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

People that don’t have smart phones. Very common amongst pinheads.

lol also this

A pinball convention is an unofficial convention of people clinging to flip phones

#153 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

People that don’t have smart phones. Very common amongst pinheads.

People who don't have smart phones want to do this? I'd like to see the venn diagram on that. I don't think you'd lose many by making this a barrier to entry.

#154 2 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

So why exactly is this even necessary? Who and why would anyone be scanning their QR code from something other than their phone?

Printed “promo” cards, for one. George talked about junk like that in the videos about IC.

#155 2 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

People who don't have smart phones want to do this? I'd like to see the venn diagram on that. I don't think you'd lose many by making this a barrier to entry.

Stern clearly disagrees with you. It’s also an easy way to print QR codes for prizes at your location.

#156 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's pretty neat. The CAT-6 cable carries the data line between the node boards and a 48V rail that the node boards step down to the voltages they need for different applications (solenoids, LEDs, motors, LCD screens, etc). Reduces a lot of wiring and they can use one 48V switching power supply, instead of a collection of them providing different voltages or a bulkier transformer.

One thing that I recently read is that power over ethernet (POE) should be limited to one amp.
Anything over one amp exceeds the current rating of an RJ45 connector normally used on these cables, which can cause it to get hot.
There have been cases where exceeding this rating caused a fire.
People are now using power over ethernet to power things like exterior lights, cameras, etc, etc.
Exceeding one amp on such a cable is not a good idea, so be careful.
Most loads on a pinball machine like LEDs is probably not a problem.
But if you power some motors and solenoids, you could have an issue if you exceed one amp.

#157 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

. It can shine in your eyes at certain times. A bit of a goof on Stern’s part.

Pretty damn sure having any laser light source shining in a players eyes is illegal.
Is it a laser or and LED? I bet there is an OSHA regulation they are violating

#158 2 years ago

It's a camera with an LED for illumination.

#159 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Is it a laser or and LED?

LED illumination.

Quoted from Zitt:

I bet there is an OSHA regulation they are violating

OSHA regulates workplace safety, not consumer product safety. That's the CPSC and FDA, as far as I'm aware.

#160 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stern clearly disagrees with you. It’s also an easy way to print QR codes for prizes at your location.

So someone outside of stern is going to print QR codes for promotions...right.

#161 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Pretty damn sure having any laser light source shining in a players eyes is illegal.

It’s 100% a laser. Let’s run with that for the next ten pages.

#162 2 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

If they want. Or generate them and post a picture for people to screen shot. Either one. Options.

#163 2 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

Sure.. "Hey you just won our shitty karaoke contest, here's a long island and a code for two free games of pinball, just scan it on one of the machines"

- code has no monetary value
- code can only be used in that bar on those game
- codes might help make repeat customers

#164 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Stern has plenty of free parking though....

#165 2 years ago

Laser violating OSHA. Lol.

I think it's a HIPAA violation, actually. Make a worker's comp claim!

Lord. This place.

#166 2 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

One thing that I recently read is that power over ethernet (POE) should be limited to one amp.
Anything over one amp exceeds the current rating of an RJ45 connector normally used on these cables, which can cause it to get hot.
There have been cases where exceeding this rating caused a fire.
People are now using power over ethernet to power things like exterior lights, cameras, etc, etc.
Exceeding one amp on such a cable is not a good idea, so be careful.
Most loads on a pinball machine like LEDs is probably not a problem.
But if you power some motors and solenoids, you could have an issue if you exceed one amp.

The POE standard has safeguards to stop that though. If someone is exceeding the standard then thats an issue with that equipment (here in Europe it won't get CE). I would be surprised if its standardised POE stern are using.

with regard to the light; at D82 I found it a little distracting to start but quickly forgot it was there - at another really bright location I didn't even notice it at all. Asking for a software toggle to turn it off seems reasonable when we have a toggle to turn the start button light to off, on and flashing!

#167 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

It's funny that phones have a camera the size of a pencil eraser, but an $11k pinball machine has this giant white rectangle bigger than the flash on a 1980's Polaroid.

It’s not that funny when you realize that the whole point is to draw attention to it.

It’s almost like after spending all this time and money developing this they want people to know it’s there? The evil Stern empire strikes again!!!

#168 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Stern is also including tin foil hats which reflect the light away from the player. That makes it legal.

#169 2 years ago

Why isn't someone making a little translite to cover the qr reader? It already has the LED to make it glow. Maybe a small rulesheet or a cool image? I enjoy using the QR reader, but it would look cool with a backlit image. In the past I've seen mods for purchase that will illuminate a card on your apron, now Stern has one built in!

#170 2 years ago
Quoted from mahony:

Why isn't someone making a little translite to cover the qr reader?

Stern already makes this.

#171 2 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Here is the problem with the internet in a nutshell.
You have ZERO experience with the issue in question, but you have formed a hardline opinion, and you are demanding a solution to a non existent problem.
I can tell you firsthand, that I have not ever… not even ONCE, noticed the QR reader during gameplay. The soft white light is approximately 1/20th the brightness of any one of the inserts in the game.
Also speaking from experience, I thought the functionality of Insider Connected would be underwhelming. Instead, I really enjoy it, and I want to add it to all of my eligible games.
As you were Pinside. You do you!

You also forgot the other problem with the internet. The one where people assume that because they don’t have a problem with something then nobody should and then find a way to attack the person instead to justify their opinion and invalidate the other persons opinion. I think the OP just asked a “how to” question. Doesn’t really matter how anyone feels about it. Just answer the question by proposing solutions to the actual question. As you were Pinside.

#172 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Sure.. "Hey you just won our shitty karaoke contest, here's a long island and a code for two free games of pinball, just scan it on one of the machines"
- code has no monetary value
- code can only be used in that bar on those game
- codes might help make repeat customers

Sure, it'll be possible but we'll see how much it actually gets used that way.

#173 2 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

Sure, it'll be possible but we'll see how much it actually gets used that way.

Just for you I’m going to set all my games to scan only for your next visit. Lol

#174 2 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

You also forgot the other problem with the internet. The one where people assume that because they don’t have a problem with something then nobody should and then find a way to attack the person instead to justify their opinion and invalidate the other persons opinion. I think the OP just asked a “how to” question. Doesn’t really matter how anyone feels about it. Just answer the question by proposing solutions to the actual question. As you were Pinside.

Oh, let’s not pretend like it was a real Suzy Q that got bashed about her head and shoulders for asking a simple question here. It’s the “Fuck You Stern!!!” guy, suggesting that everyone and their mother had can-and-stringed him from South Alabamy or Podunksville, Wherever - just to beg him to help them turn that infernal blinding brain scanner off. Context is important in assessing the reaction. But so is proper assessment. It was more than a polite “how to” query. As you were.

#175 2 years ago

I'll be sure to research your entire post history before answering your tech questions, mr. gambit...

#176 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I'll be sure to research your entire post history before answering your tech questions, mr. gambit...

If you don’t know me by name and avatar, then maybe you have nothing to suspect about the motive of my question. And I won’t make a fantastic claim about something I grumble at clouds about already, cool? Or maybe I just won’t ask you for anything.

#177 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Underrated call back. Noice.

#178 2 years ago

I have these QR-reader cover-up mods available. Easy installation, no tools required. $20ea plus shipping. PM me.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#179 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I have these QR-reader cover-up mods available. $20ea plus shipping. PM me.
[quoted image]

You want to apply foil to one side of that cover mod, to redirect the laser beam. Otherwise it’ll just burn through.

#180 2 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Cool Story “Pedantic Bullshit Fan”!

Haha. Just a joke. Relax everybody. The Op truly needs help with this most dire of problems. Won’t somebody just… help??!

Oh Ya, solutions were offered immediately. But solutions weren’t the goal, right?!

Can’t we all just get along?! Nope, Not with that GODDAMN LIGHT SHINING IN OUR EYES!!!

As you were Pinheadside. I kill me.

#181 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

you made me spit out my drink

#182 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s 100% a laser. Let’s run with that for the next ten pages.

Quoted from gambit3113:

Laser violating OSHA. Lol.
I think it's a HIPAA violation, actually. Make a worker's comp claim!
Lord. This place.

1.jpg1.jpg2.jpg2.jpg
#183 2 years ago

Now we’re havin’ fun.

#184 2 years ago

I got so enraged by the QR reader light on my Godzilla that I ripped my eyeballs out Oedipus style. Problem solved.

#185 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I got so enraged by the QR reader light on my Godzilla that I ripped my eyeballs out Oedipus style. Problem solved.

I got so enraged by the QR reader light on my Godzilla that I bleached my anus.

#186 2 years ago

So, who pissed in y'alls Cheerios?
Regardless of a laser or a super bright led .. still not in anyway cool it shines in the eye player.

OSHA still counts if it's on location... When it clear this product is aimed at businesses.

Y'all really arent into leaps of logic much, huh?

#187 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

OSHA still counts if it's on location... When it clear this product is aimed at businesses.

OSHA regulations come into play during the manufacture of the product in the factory--to basically make sure the workplace is a safe environment for the labor force (ie, occupational safety). Product safety (and safety testing) for a product are completely different (that's where the product's LEDs and lasers would be tested for product safety for consumers). That's with the CPSC and FDA.

Once the product leaves the factory and out of the hands of workers, it's a manufactured product. At that point, that's where product safety enters the picture again (in case there are any harmful problems that are discovered with the product after release).

OSHA may come into play if workers are unboxing and assembling the game as part of work labor, but that's about it. OSHA wouldn't be concerned about LEDs or lasers or other parts in a finished manufactured product.

#188 2 years ago

Has the FAA weighed in yet on these QRs?

Could be a serious threat to air traffic.

#189 2 years ago
4AC1D430-6CE8-45E7-BF68-B580B659435C.gif4AC1D430-6CE8-45E7-BF68-B580B659435C.gif
#190 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

So, who pissed in y'alls Cheerios?
Regardless of a laser or a super bright led .. still not in anyway cool it shines in the eye player.
Y'all really arent into leaps of logic much, huh?

I’m dead serious in asking you if you’ve witnessed the QR reader in person yet, or if you’re just piling on the forum comments.
Your comments seem somewhat “out of place”.
We’re talking about a light on a “box of lights”, after all.
I wouldn’t say that it’s any brighter than any of the lit inserts on the playfield.

#191 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I’m dead serious in asking you if you’ve witnessed the QR reader in person yet, or if you’re just piling on the forum comments.
Your comments seem somewhat “out of place”.
We’re talking about a light on a “box of lights”, after all.
I wouldn’t say that it’s any brighter than any of the lit inserts on the playfield.

It’s amazing what people in this hobby will cry about.

#192 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

OSHA may come into play if workers are unboxing and assembling the game as part of work labor, but that's about it. OSHA wouldn't be concerned about LEDs or lasers or other parts in a finished manufactured product.

That doesn't jive with my understanding.
So your saying; that OSHA would not care about the bar employee serving drinks to "players" in a bar? Or than janitorial staff? or the random vendor on premise?
I'm not saying *IN THIS CASE* they would care. That said; OSHA has complained about some trivial stuff before... so; no, I don't believe at all that this QR code reader could not be a source of issues for the pinbar operator.

To the others; no, I haven't seen this QR reader in person and probably wont for the foreseeable future.
That said; others here have voiced concerns - so, it probably is a concern. After Ball 1 is finishes - Stern needs to turn off the reader until Last ball drains. Solves the problem for all parties.

I legitimately didn't know if its a laser or a LED; hence, the reason I asked.
Super bright LEDs directly in the eye aren't as bad as lasers; but they aren't trivial either. I'd be amazed if OSHA didn't have some rule about the Coherentancy of light vs power vs distance.

#193 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Super bright LEDs directly in the eye aren't as bad as lasers;

This is neither of those, it’s pretty much a large, white, mildly lit insert. On the apron.
About as annoying as the white light on an old Bally that told you there was more credits on the game. I have not noticed it once when playing, not once.

#194 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

[quoted image][quoted image]

...so then the doctor says, "Moth, man you are troubled, but you should be seeing a psychiatrist. Why on earth did you come here?" and then the moth said, "cause the QR reader was on."

#195 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That doesn't jive with my understanding.
So your saying; that OSHA would not care about the bar employee serving drinks to "players" in a bar? Or than janitorial staff? or the random vendor on premise?
I'm not saying *IN THIS CASE* they would care. That said; OSHA has complained about some trivial stuff before... so; no, I don't believe at all that this QR code reader could not be a source of issues for the pinbar operator.
To the others; no, I haven't seen this QR reader in person and probably wont for the foreseeable future.
That said; others here have voiced concerns - so, it probably is a concern. After Ball 1 is finishes - Stern needs to turn off the reader until Last ball drains. Solves the problem for all parties.
I legitimately didn't know if its a laser or a LED; hence, the reason I asked.
Super bright LEDs directly in the eye aren't as bad as lasers; but they aren't trivial either. I'd be amazed if OSHA didn't have some rule about the Coherentancy of light vs power vs distance.

If the employee can use a knife to cut the limes for the Corona’s; I am guessing a light on a pinball machine is at the bottom of the list.

#196 2 years ago

GODDAMN THIS THING IS BRIGHT!!!! oh wait....I was using it as a retina scanner

giphy (7).gifgiphy (7).gif
#197 2 years ago

On the other hand...

#198 2 years ago

This is the dumbest conversation on the internet.

#199 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Huh? I'm really not sure what you're trying to argue here. I've noticed that you sometimes have a tendency to go off in odd tangents and confusing directions.

All I was trying to point out was OSHA doesn't regulate lighting in a pinball machine.

Quoted from gambit3113:

This is the dumbest conversation on the internet.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#200 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

There is always that stigma of breaking open the goodie bag also when you are selling HUO, so I would even pay to get an extra

ehhh.... I open them all the time
you want a sealed goody bag, I will tape it closed for you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Dacula, GA
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brookings, OR
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-figured-out-how-to-turn-off-the-qr-reader/page/4?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.