litho (resized).png
20211207_101757 (resized).jpg
20211207_101802 (resized).jpg
20211207_105732 (resized).jpg
1AC67961-5FE2-42E9-B6B6-D165742C1DA5.gif
Screenshot_20211204-105237_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211204-105158_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211204-105210_Facebook (resized).jpg
There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Well until Stern allows for the QR reader to be disabled in the settings, I have considered this dramatic need for a fix and have taken upon myself to provide a fix for the low low cost of $49.99. You now can buy a kit that will allow you to cover this blinding light.
-Hurry supplies are limited(5 left in stock)
[quoted image]

Use the art to block it that stern gave you. Or should’ve given you in the goodie bag.

#102 2 years ago

-Will someone please post a pic of this supposed 'Supplied Art' -I double dog dare you to open the bag-Do it!

They still need to have something in settings to disable imo-for those not interested

Do it (resized).jpgDo it (resized).jpg
#103 2 years ago
Puke funny.jpgPuke funny.jpgpuke.gifpuke.gif
#104 2 years ago

Played Godzilla LE last weekend and barely noticed the reader was there. Guess I Was kinda busy playing the game.

#105 2 years ago

I will be buying a nice insert plastic as soon as anyone offers such a product to cover that white butthole in the apron

#106 2 years ago
2EA1E53F-D520-4AB7-93C9-168CFD762188 (resized).jpeg2EA1E53F-D520-4AB7-93C9-168CFD762188 (resized).jpeg
#107 2 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

that white butthole in the apron

Now that made me literally LOL!

#108 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Played Godzilla LE last weekend and barely noticed the reader was there. Guess I Was kinda busy playing the game.

A lot depends on the environment. At Expo under the bright lights it didn't even look like it was on. In a dark room it could be pretty f'n annoying.

#109 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

A lot depends on the environment. At Expo under the bright lights it didn't even look like it was on. In a dark room it could be pretty f'n annoying.

It would be nice if it just turns off during game play.

#110 2 years ago

It is fugly. I certainly won't be replicating that in my virtual version of the game.

#111 2 years ago

I haven't seen any new games recently with this feature in person. Does the light stay on the entire time during the game?

If so, would it be better if it has a dimming feature where once the game starts, the light fades out? Then once the game ends, it fades back on?

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sure that will turn off the light?

Yes, I am sure. Only one cable running to the reader supplying power and data.

#113 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Yes, I am sure. Only one cable running to the reader supplying power and data.

Wild. Didn’t know Ethernet can carry power too.

#114 2 years ago

You built up that streaming rig and station and had never heard of PoE?

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wild. Didn’t know Ethernet can carry power too.

I don’t know what else is in the “Ethernet” type cable for the QR reader, but it’s definitely providing power to it. It’s the same cable they use to connect the node boards. Rj45/cat6.

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You built up that streaming rig and station and had never heard of PoE?
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"52d05dfea0ff3640701a59eff7977a2e8eb82aa3-1636243928-1800"};
//]]>

Chad Hobbs is pretty much the only reason I know how to stream pinball. I have no idea what any of it means. Haha

#117 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Use the art to block it that stern gave you. Or should’ve given you in the goodie bag.

FWIW I didn’t receive anything in my goodie bag that would cover up the reader.

#118 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I haven't seen any new games recently with this feature in person. Does the light stay on the entire time during the game?
If so, would it be better if it has a dimming feature where once the game starts, the light fades out? Then once the game ends, it fades back on?

Just left MGC where Stern had a few dozen Godzilla's in a rather dark room. At Best the white plastic barely glows. Hardly even noticable. It not a bulb in any way. Its a translucent white square with a minimal glow. A mute point unless you are hunting for something to complain about.

#119 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

FWIW I didn’t receive anything in my goodie bag that would cover up the reader.

Contact stern for one.

#120 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Contact stern for one.

For the time being I am having fun dicking around with IC so don’t need it, but could see growing tired of it once the novelty has worn off.

#121 2 years ago

Look inside the bag Stern gave you for an art cover up-Doh' not there?

Call Stern for the art to cover up your white butthole on apron-really C'mon?

Really simple-if anyone at Stern is listening please allow for this feature to be disabled in settings. You should not have your customers having to un-plug or call for art to cover up.

I can tell just from the pictures that the white butthole looks out of place and will get annoying, sorry but I think it looks like crap and is a distraction.

homer (resized).jpghomer (resized).jpg
#122 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

cover up your white butthole

Butthole (resized).jpgButthole (resized).jpg
#123 2 years ago

I’m intrigued here too as well I feel like they should turn that bright light off during gameplay at least

#124 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I’m intrigued here too as well I feel like they should turn that bright light off during gameplay at least

You can still log in during the middle of a game, if you haven't yet. That being said, if everyone playing is logged in, then yeah, why not turn it off during the game. I didn't find it annoying at Expo while playing, but with the bright lights they had overhead, not sure how it would be in a darker room.

#125 2 years ago

Not sure how exactly the qr readers work? Does there need to be a light on to read cell phone? Seems like the cell phone is illuminated and does not need the light to light up code? I am getting too old for this shit

#126 2 years ago

I love that people who haven't even played a game with the QR Reader yet, are still commenting. Having played a Godzilla in a very dark arcade, the reader was a little distracting. In a bright room, it wouldn't be a problem at all, but in a dark room it could be slightly annoying. And the light stays on the whole time, since you can technically scan-in at anytime during a game, I think.

#127 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Not sure how exactly the qr readers work? Does there need to be a light on to read cell phone? Seems like the cell phone is illuminated and does not need the light to light up code? I am getting too old for this shit

You don’t have to use a phone (the used cards at Expo) and it’s not bright at all.

#128 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

it’s not bright at all.

May not be blinding but seriously-who wants that white butthole on their apron? Looks super annoying to me

If people had a choice of having it on apron or coindoor-which choice do you think people would choose?

If you had a choice to turn off light during gameplay-which choice do you think people would choose?

Flippin FUGLY

White Butthole super annoying (resized).jpgWhite Butthole super annoying (resized).jpg
#129 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

May not be blinding but seriously-who wants that white butthole on their apron? Looks super annoying to me
If people had a choice of having it on apron or coindoor-which choice do you think people would choose?
If you had a choice to turn off light during gameplay-which choice do you think people would choose?
Flippin FUGLY [quoted image]

Not a fan of the coin door option as I'm not a fan of people waving a camera at my crotch when I play. I am fine with the new technology they offered and look forward to seeing where Stern goes with it.

#130 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

seeing where Stern goes with it.

Meh-hoping it goes away, as I have no interest in staring at an annoying white butthole while playing.

Hopefully someone at Stern is listening to those who want to cover it up. Really surprised it is not included in goodie bag like others stated it was?

#131 2 years ago

7D377791-5C7E-4809-ADEE-3A158BE881BF (resized).png7D377791-5C7E-4809-ADEE-3A158BE881BF (resized).png

#132 2 years ago

But HOW?!?!

Everybody knows getting something on a pinball machine to not work is downright impossible. You think we are rocket scientists?!

#133 2 years ago

What if Stern would mount an On/Off switch for the QR reader/backlight on the bottom right side of the cabinet?

Would that trigger people even more?

#134 2 years ago
Quoted from Biv:

What if Stern would mount an On/Off switch for the QR reader/backlight on the bottom right side of the cabinet?

What if Stern does nothing and lets people figure out how to unplug it, or put a Post-It note over it, or cover it with the supplied art, or just complain about it?

#135 2 years ago

Can I save $200 and have a regular apron?

#136 2 years ago

I can honestly say I never expected so much ‘white butthole’ conversation.

#137 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

I can honestly say I never expected so much ‘white butthole’ conversation.

It’s one person talking to themselves. Haha

#138 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Flippin FUGLY [quoted image]

Quoted from pinmister:

Meh-hoping it goes away, as I have no interest in staring at an annoying white butthole while playing.
Hopefully someone at Stern is listening to those who want to cover it up. Really surprised it is not included in goodie bag like others stated it was?

Here is the problem with the internet in a nutshell.

You have ZERO experience with the issue in question, but you have formed a hardline opinion, and you are demanding a solution to a non existent problem.

I can tell you firsthand, that I have not ever… not even ONCE, noticed the QR reader during gameplay. The soft white light is approximately 1/20th the brightness of any one of the inserts in the game.

Also speaking from experience, I thought the functionality of Insider Connected would be underwhelming. Instead, I really enjoy it, and I want to add it to all of my eligible games.

As you were Pinside. You do you!

#139 2 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

oh-no-no.gifoh-no-no.gif
#140 2 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

Yep. Just buy a game that doesn’t have this in it.

#141 2 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Eh. Every location I've been to they're not even configured. The only place I've been able to use it was Expo. We'll see if it goes the way of the Tops tournament system.

Played Godzilla at three different places. Two worked and one didn’t. Not sure if it’s a hardware issue or is there an option to turn off the QR reader in the settings menu.

#142 2 years ago

I was at Expo & MGC the last 2 weekends. Played a bunch of Stern’s with the insider connect installed. I don’t see how anyone is having an issue with the light on the device blinding them from play.

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I was at Expo & MGC the last 2 weekends. Played a bunch of Stern’s with the insider connect installed. I don’t see how anyone is having an issue with the light on the device blinding them from play.

I get my GZ LE tomorrow and play all my games with the lights out, will see if it is more distracting in that environment. Don't see the issue with people wanting the option to turn it off in settings for whatever reason, just like a shaker, knocker, music, camera, ect.

#144 2 years ago

The QR reader on the Godzilla at PHoF is aboot as bright as the pop bumper and nearby large inserts. Keep in mind the overhead LED lighting is pretty bright in the building at the moment. Changes are in the works to diffuse the lighting....

20211019_134538 (resized).jpg20211019_134538 (resized).jpg
#145 2 years ago

PXL_20211108_193533714 (resized).jpgPXL_20211108_193533714 (resized).jpg

Guys I was playing Star Trek the other day and realized Stern installed these bright-ass strings of lights on BOTH sides of the apron! They even flash different colors it was soooo distracting! I mean I knew they were there before I bought it but still what the hell? I tried calling Stern to give me a solution but the guy on the phone just kept telling me it was a Wendy's! How do I fix this so I can finally play pinball without being soooo annoyed? Does anyone know if Stern will release code to shut these off if I don't want it? And don't tell me to unplug it this is on Stern to fix and make things right!

#146 2 years ago

It's funny that phones have a camera the size of a pencil eraser, but an $11k pinball machine has this giant white rectangle bigger than the flash on a 1980's Polaroid.

#147 2 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

You have ZERO experience with the issue in question, but you have formed a hardline opinion, and you are demanding a solution to a non existent problem.

Nah, he just wanted to get the 'white butthole' meme out there because he's really proud of how clever he is.

Quoted from radium:

It's funny that phones have a camera the size of a pencil eraser, but an $11k pinball machine has this giant white rectangle bigger than the flash on a 1980's Polaroid.

You know that's to help illuminate the QR code being scanned in dark places (if it's not back-lit like a phone screen), right? The little black dot in the center is the camera.

#148 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

You know that's to help illuminate the QR code being scanned in dark places (if it's not back-lit like a phone screen), right? The little black dot in the center is the camera.

So why exactly is this even necessary? Who and why would anyone be scanning their QR code from something other than their phone?

#149 2 years ago
Quoted from CryHavoc:

[quoted image]
Guys I was playing Star Trek the other day and realized Stern installed these bright-ass strings of lights on BOTH sides of the apron! They even flash different colors it was soooo distracting! I mean I knew they were there before I bought it but still what the hell? I tried calling Stern to give me a solution but the guy on the phone just kept telling me it was a Wendy's! How do I fix this so I can finally play pinball without being soooo annoyed? Does anyone know if Stern will release code to shut these off if I don't want it? And don't tell me to unplug it this is on Stern to fix and make things right!

Another vote for black electrical tape. Stiktek/Harbor Freight (for Pros), Scotch Super 33+ (for Premiums) and Super 88 (for LE's) recommended

#150 2 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

So why exactly is this even necessary? Who and why would anyone be scanning their QR code from something other than their phone?

People that don’t have smart phones. Very common amongst pinheads.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Myers, FL
$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 178.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 16.00
There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-figured-out-how-to-turn-off-the-qr-reader/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.