(Topic ID: 245392)

Has anyone experienced a douchebag on Craigslist flagging their adds?

By zr11990

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by whthrs166
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault (resized).jpg
    1gn0wt (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    820B1466-E03C-4CD9-A95D-17BFF0E48F4C (resized).jpeg
    1486524603_giraffe-eating-popcorn.gif
    There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I want to buy a couple system 11s so I went fishing on the Houston CL. I put an add up saying I was a Hobbyist bla bla and I wanted to buy pins and they would be given a good home. My add was flagged the same day. I tried again and again and again and my add kept getting flagged. The only other person putting adds on the Houston CL wanting pins was a person I know of very well and he is a known douchebag. His adds never got flagged. I put up another add and called him out on it saying that if my adds got flagged again I would flag his. My add was flagged again so I flagged his. So I get a text from this guy and he tries to blame it on someone else and that it takes a lot of people to flag an ad for it to be taken down and only a loser would take the time to do this bla bla bla. It seems it takes only one person to flag an add on CL for it to disappear and this guy certainly was the one doing it. So I guess Ill have to pay to put up a dealer add so I can use CL to fish for pins. Just curious as to whether anyone else has had this happen and what they did about it.

#2 4 years ago

Nothing grinds my gears more on CL then having to sift through hundreds of "Sell me your broken or used arcades, top dollar paid!" posts when trying to see what's out there.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Nothing grinds my gears more on CL then having to sift through hundreds of "Sell me your broken or used arcades, top dollar paid!" posts when trying to see what's out there.

That is why they have a wanted section on CL.

#4 4 years ago

Douchebags are everywhere. Unfortunately they’re even tougher behind their keyboards.

#6 4 years ago

Assuming you want the games to use yourself, and prefer them in fair to good condition, then flagger = jerk. He (most likely correct pronoun) thinks Craigslist is his own personal supply of games to buy super cheap and flip.

Actually, even if you want to flip too, flagger = jerk. You'll have to continue to flag him until detente can be achieved.

#7 4 years ago

He has now started to post as a dealer and pay to post so I cant flag his adds. Ill have to do the same. I have asked him to stop but he doesn't. When I called him out a couple people emailed me and thanked me for calling him out but they also said he will never stop.

#8 4 years ago

Is this pinball dude a Pinsider? Is he involved with the Houston Arcade and Pinball Expo?

#9 4 years ago

Yep, happens all the time. All the flippers spend all day flagging other WTB ads.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Is this pinball dude a Pinsider? Is he involved with the Houston Arcade and Pinball Expo?

Name removed by poster.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Yes, he is on PS.

This should be fun......

1486524603_giraffe-eating-popcorn.gif1486524603_giraffe-eating-popcorn.gif

#13 4 years ago

Really? I've met the guy once when I bought a populated playfield from him, seemed like a real nice guy. Didn't get the feeling that he would do stuff like that.

#14 4 years ago

Too many random weirdos on Craigslist...

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

Really? I've met the guy once when I bought a populated playfield from him, seemed like a real nice guy. Didn't get the feeling that he would do stuff like that.

Two people emailed me and said he had done it to them as well and they just gave up. Ill just post as a dealer as well but I lost my CC and I have to wit till I get another one. It sure the hell like its him if it isn't and it is a shithead move. I don't need any new pins anyway s o it isn't really a big deal.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Two people emailed me and said he had done it to them as well and they just gave up. Ill just post as a dealer as well but I lost my CC and I have to wit till I get another one. It sure the hell like its him if it isn't and it is a shithead move. I don't need any new pins anyway s o it isn't really a big deal.

Sucks man, not sure why people act like that. I've always wondered if those types of ads actually bear fruit.

#17 4 years ago

Not very often any more. Most pins hiding in a basement or back room are gone.

#18 4 years ago

CL chicago is just as bad. Wanted ads for a specific game, or like yours for system 11s, make sense. But a never ending barrage of general wanted ads over and over gets old.

#19 4 years ago

I had a add up once and had never gotten a reply except for people wanting retail for their shit. I noticed a top tier pin for sale on CL and I ignored it because the wanted big money for it. About 2 months later the guy called me and said he would sell it to me for 25% of what it was worth. My wife and I were going somewhere and I took her home and picked up the pin. Can you say doghouse? That is the only time it worked out for me. But I don't want shit stuff. I want keepers

#20 4 years ago

Happens in Michigan as well. Even if you are very specific and only advertise you want a particular pin they can get flagged. Ive heard complaints from friends about nasty emails from experts and price police then their for sale ads get flagged.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Happens in Michigan as well. Even if you are very specific and only advertise you want a particular pin they can get flagged. Ive heard complaints from friends about nasty emails from experts and price police then their for sale ads get flagged.

F*ck em

#22 4 years ago

Try posting an ad to sell your game for a fair price and have some asshole pirate your pics and post another ad for your machine with your pics and contact info for half of what it is worth! Got to meet a whole lot of new people! Really shitty move and I pretty much knew who it was that did it. Craig's List is full people that will do you harm and you are probably rubbing elbows with some of them. The good thing that came about was I sold the game for my asking price to one of them!

#23 4 years ago

Just don’t let the assholes take away from the good people. There are a lot of good people here and everywhere

#24 4 years ago

yeah and the funny thing is I met a bunch of cool people calling me. They all flagged the ad so it got taken down within hours.

#25 4 years ago

I personally don't believe it is him. I had wanted ads several years and mine got flagged.

#26 4 years ago

I gave up on Craigslist years ago because of flagging. And Craigslist does nothing about it

#27 4 years ago

If it is t him I would apologize to him personally. But it seems funny his never get flagged and mine gets flagged the same day. He text me saying “ someone is flagging ads and there is no one else’s ads on HCL but his and mine and two others say it’s him. Just sayin

#28 4 years ago

Well, he is using many of the techniques mentioned on the link in post 5 to keep his ads up. Doesn't mean he is the one flagging your ads.

Did you post an ad with your phone number? If so, try one without it.

#29 4 years ago

Seriously, it may not be him. I know plenty of people that flag non-dealer wtb ads. Their feeling is they keep people from listing stuff for sale. As a buyer, it evens the playing files if people post stuff for sale instead of contacting a dealer.

Could be anyone.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from albummydavis:

Seriously, it may not be him. I know plenty of people that flag non-dealer wtb ads. Their feeling is they keep people from listing stuff for sale. As a buyer, it evens the playing files if people post stuff for sale instead of contacting a dealer.
    Could be anyone.

You know what you are saying make sense. I’m going to remove the mention of his name instead of taking the chance of running a innocent mans name through the mud

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

running a innocent mans name through the mud

820B1466-E03C-4CD9-A95D-17BFF0E48F4C (resized).jpeg820B1466-E03C-4CD9-A95D-17BFF0E48F4C (resized).jpeg
    #32 4 years ago

Lol yea I know. Isn’t it better to be the tactful one even if it is after the fact

#33 4 years ago

Michigan has to be the CL pinball spamming and flagging center of the universe. There’s at least 5 well-known people (all of whom are active on some level here) that flag every ad they can while spamming their WTB posts. It’s juvenile and irritating.

#34 4 years ago

I have to say every game I have bought, came from Craigslist. I have not had any problems buying or selling there.

Maybe just lucky I guess...

#35 4 years ago

Craigslist is pretty much dying the same death Mr. Pinball has. I have far far better luck selling on other mediums...like Facebook Marketplace. CL is nearly dead these days.

#36 4 years ago

Well as crazy as this may sound I do not have a Facebook account never have so if you do not have an account on Facebook can you still look around and see what's for sale there

#37 4 years ago

Every want to buy pinball ad I've ever seen wanted to buy games that already exist on craigslist. People with want to buy pinball ads don't want to buy pinballs, they want to buy pinballs for a certain price and are hoping to get lucky.

#38 4 years ago

Had an experience this week with an add getting "flagged". Turned out that it was removed by their automated system....dont know what triggered it but the add only lasted 2 minutes. Tried 3 times, same result.....2 minutes, not long enough to go public. Rewrote the add and it went up.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Every want to buy pinball ad I've ever seen wanted to buy games that already exist on craigslist. People with want to buy pinball ads don't want to buy pinballs, they want to buy pinballs for a certain price and are hoping to get lucky.

Yes sir, that is the point.

#40 4 years ago

Yeah this ^^ is what I have seen around here. Maybe if they would just be honest and say “ wanted to buy X machine for a fraction of what it is worth” then all of the rest of us might be forgiving.

#41 4 years ago

I don't understand why you guys have a problem with people wanting to buy stuff cheap. That is only natural. No one says: "I want to give more money for something I can get cheaper elsewhere". I don't even sell it if I get anything from the adds, I keep it. If its something I don't want I pass on it.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Craigslist is pretty much dying the same death Mr. Pinball has. I have far far better luck selling on other mediums...like Facebook Marketplace. CL is nearly dead these days.

I’m not on the fb, but my wife is

So anytime I post something on cl, I forward the ad so she can crosspost on fb

Unbelievable the amount of replies from fb over cl....and the hygiene of fb users is superior as well

#43 4 years ago

The two types of ads I flag on Craigslist:

The idiot who posts the exact same ad every day, day in day out to the local area and five surrounding areas without removing the old ads.

The idiot who posts ads for items that have nothing to do with pinball but puts pinball as one of the search terms.

#44 4 years ago

I think it's a matter of principle. We ALL want cheap pinball machines, if we all posted like you do, it would be stupid so most of us don't. Surely you can understand that it's underhanded to post a want to buy ad for something that is already for sale just for the hopes of luring in a sucker, right?

It's not a crime or anything, but neither is flagging the ad so...

Quoted from zr11990:

I don't understand why you guys have a problem with people wanting to buy stuff cheap. That is only natural. No one says: "I want to give more money for something I can get cheaper elsewhere". I don't even sell it if I get anything from the adds, I keep it. If its something I don't want I pass on it.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I think it's a matter of principle. We ALL want cheap pinball machines, if we all posted like you do, it would be stupid so most of us don't. Surely you can understand that it's underhanded to post a want to buy ad for something that is already for sale just for the hopes of luring in a sucker, right?
    It's not a crime or anything, but neither is flagging the ad so...

I’ve ran want to buy ads when... I have cash to buy and nothing I want is for sale. And three or four times it has worked. Most of the time I get emails about em machines. But honestly I have never gotten an email about a game that was already for sale. So I don’t really agree with your post at all.

#46 4 years ago

It’s really no different then posting here saying I’m looking for a taxi or a diner or some other system 11 which is what I’ve looking for. If you have it for a price I’m willing to pay then I’ll buy it, if not ok then. But, there are very few of you in my area, CL Houston is my area.

#47 4 years ago
    images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
    #48 4 years ago

Getting an ad pulled from being flagged is actually hard. It's an algorithm so I'm not sure anyone knows how many people have to flag it before it gets pulled, but your add annoyed at least 5 or 6 people. One person with an axe to grind can't get an ad pulled.

Also, I know that once an ad gets pulled from flags, subsequent flags have more weight.

Quoted from zr11990:

It’s really no different then posting here saying I’m looking for a taxi or a diner or some other system 11 which is what I’ve looking for. If you have it for a price I’m willing to pay then I’ll buy it, if not ok then. But, there are very few of you in my area, CL Houston is my area.

#49 4 years ago

If it is who we were discussing he is a computer guy so Im sure he knows how to do it. Again, my ads are no different than his and his stay up and mine get flagged. He has started paying for adds so they cant be flagged and as soon as I get my new CC in the mail Ill do the same.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-experienced-a-douchebag-on-craigslist-flagging-their-adds?hl=pmedic871 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.