Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinNin
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I am doing a Whirlwind playfield clean and touch up and want to put down something to protect it, but do not want to do clear coat. I have been looking into these and have heard mixed things. Does anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/

#2 5 years ago

Yep a PF protector will do the trick. I have done 4 of my W/B games and I am very pleased on how they look and play.

#3 5 years ago

Thank you!

#4 5 years ago

Yes, have several and they are great.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rewdood:

I am doing a Whirlwind playfield clean and touch up and want to put down something to protect it, but do not want to do clear coat. I have been looking into these and have heard mixed things. Does anyone have any experience with these?
    https://www.playfield-protectors.com/

We have them on every machine, old and new. We really like them.

#6 5 years ago

I will never use them and I will remove them if they are on a game I buy. Changes the way the game plays and feels.

#7 5 years ago

Have one and hate it. I got it for my pm as its a sample and has decals for some of the artwork. Wanted to protector it. Had to modify it to get it to fit (was slightly too big next to a ball guide). Things love to get stuck under the stupid thing. It scratches easily. I know some people like them, but I will only order another if its a proto/sample with decal for artwork.

#8 5 years ago

installed a lot of em.
    Make sure you put a small amount of wax on a new one and it'll play like it should.
    I was a little skeptical at first, but once you get them installed correctly it works out great.
    As you know it's subjective on how a game feels after the install, to me it feels the same, maybe slightly faster... hard to say though.

#9 5 years ago

Yup. Once installed correctly, waxed, and new balls, you will love them.

Changes the way the game plays? Yes sir, makes it play like it should, like new again instead of cupped inserts and rough paint messing up the ball and shots.

I wish they made them for every game I got. Sadly they do not

#10 5 years ago

How do slightly raised inserts react or affect it. I just picked up a game I would like to get one for.
    A couple inserts are just poking up.

#11 5 years ago

I have a heavily cupped HarlemGlobtrotters that is covered in mylar. I'm think this may do the trick or at least put off larger efforts.

#12 5 years ago

I put one on my Pinbot after I did a full Mylar removal and restore. I thought it played fine.. it certainly looked nice in there too!

#13 5 years ago

Why? Are you going to keep it great condition for the next owner to enjoy. It's yours, enjoy while you own it.

#14 5 years ago

They work fine but always need a little trimming. Be careful if you have raised inserts. You will get an air pockets under the protector. Those air bubbles drive me nuts.

#15 5 years ago

I personally want it to preserve the hard work I put into making the playfield sparkle and shine

#16 5 years ago

I think the ball loses some roll and slides a little more. Which is why I think some will say the game play is faster,I agree.
    If you are doing touch ups and want to protect it and not spend a lot of money on other options, this is for you.
    If you bought a players machine and don't want to get a new playfield just yet but want to have a good playing surface to atleast play the machine and have some fun, this is for you.
    -Mike

1 week later
    #17 5 years ago

Can you only buy them online from Germany? Are there any local distributors that help on saving shipping costs

#18 5 years ago

I have one on my Tron. Have never thought to remove it. I play significant tournament pinball and would notice if it was adversely affected. Also we have 3 newer sterns with them at a location and those games play great, I never notice they have them unless I really think about it. Go for it I say

#19 5 years ago

I have them on 2 of my games and I like them.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hdmike444:

Can you only buy them online from Germany? Are there any local distributors that help on saving shipping costs

Nope, Bay Area amusements has them. Shipping is a lot cheaper from them. Example.. http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-DINER

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Nope, Bay Area amusements has them. Shipping is a lot cheaper from them. Example.. http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-DINER

Thx but they are out of stock.

#22 5 years ago

I put it on my CFTBL. I like it. You can also read this post for more information.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lexan-playfield-protector-install-and-review

11 months later
    #23 4 years ago

I was just passing through, when I came across this topic. What concerned me most, is that I thought this would cause more slide, skidding, and possibly some excess spin on the ball. Even those who love the protectors state that you will experience these 'side effects'. Ball control is my greatest skill, and the most important part of my play-style, and I wouldn't be willing to give up an iota of it. Thanks all for the info- I can clearly see that this is not something that I would want on my PF.

2 months later
    #24 4 years ago

Are there any difficulties waxing on top of these? Do they want to move around or anything as you're waxing?

#25 4 years ago

not really at all no. They might move a millimeter or so each way depending on how close its cut to posts/mechs/etc.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

installed a lot of em.
    Make sure you put a small amount of wax on a new one and it'll play like it should.
    I was a little skeptical at first, but once you get them installed correctly it works out great.
    As you know it's subjective on how a game feels after the install, to me it feels the same, maybe slightly faster... hard to say though.

I know I am replying to a year old post but I have a question bout what was stated: Put a little bit of wax on the UNDERSIDE of the playfield protector? Is that what's being stated? Or wax on top? Or both?

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I know I am replying to a year old post but I have a question bout what was stated: Put a little bit of wax on the UNDERSIDE of the playfield protector? Is that what's being stated? Or wax on top? Or both?

no, not the underside.
    I usually naptha or novus 1 the playfield really well then install.
    After the install clean the top with novus 1. If you fine with the speed leave it, otherwise wait for around 50-100 plays and then wax the top only.
    it's a night and day difference before and after waxing, and you rarely have to do it after the first wave (mainly novus or plastic polish). I usually only re-apply wax once every thousand plays or so.

#28 4 years ago

For what it's worth, here is what I did with mine.

I have a rather worn playfield on my Bally Bon Voyage. We love playing it. The playfield had been Naphtha'd, Novus 2'd and waxed about 1.5 years ago. I waxed regularly afterwards. I purchased a protector. Before install, I vacuumed the playfield, did some minor touch-ups around inserts then waxed it one last time. Then I installed the protector and waxed the protector. I was happy with the look, the play is good and now I do not have to worry about my playfield disintegrating as we play. My plan is to wax the protector and change the ball as needed.

#29 4 years ago

I have a Funhouse with some wear on the playfield typical of this machine. I have had this FH for about four years and the wear is stable. I checked out the "play field-protectors" website and their product does sound intriguing especially if you don't want or need to replace a playfield. My questions are as follows: to those who have put this product on their playfield how difficult was this to do? There is some mylar on the play field. Does this need to be removed?

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from reynolds531:

I have a Funhouse with some wear on the playfield typical of this machine. I have had this FH for about four years and the wear is stable. I checked out the "play field-protectors" website and their product does sound intriguing especially if you don't want or need to replace a play filed. My questions are as follows: to those who have put this product on their play field how difficult was this to do? There is some mylar on the play field. Does this need to be removed?

Difficulty will depend on each play field. You will most likely need to remove plastics and maybe the flipper outlane guides. You may need to remove some flipper posts. What ever keeps you from laying the protector down flat will need removed. I don't think Funhouse will be difficult.

I'd say leave your mylar alone.

Once you have it laid down you will need to assure it laying flat on the play field. if there is the tiniest bit interference with a play field part, the protector will hump up and have a gap between itself and the play field. Double check around all posts to make sure there is not contact. If there is contact you may need to remove some material with a Dremel Tool.

#31 4 years ago

i have them on all my machines, I love them and if you need a video to show what is involved let me know.

#32 4 years ago

I assume pop bumpers need to be removed?

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Xtraball:

nope, they slide exactly over

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Xtraball:

Just the cap. Flippers need to come out.

#35 4 years ago

It took an evening to do mine.

I was doing a full flipper rebuild too (the night before).

#36 4 years ago

I will be putting a protector on MMR soon. There is only one problematic bit that I see - putting the protector behind the castle and there's that bend plastic part of the castle that needs to be removed and one does not want to cut it in half... I think putting down the pf-protector should go in a couple of evenings.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:I will be putting a protector on MMR soon. There is only one problematic bit that I see - putting the protector behind the castle and there's that bend plastic part of the castle that needs to be removed and one does not want to cut it in half... I think putting down the pf-protector should go in a couple of evenings.

bent plastic piece of the castle?

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

bent plastic piece of the castle?

Yes, that's the one. I think it will be the most difficult bit.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphcousman:

i have them on all my machines, I love them and if you need a video to show what is involved let me know.

How scratch / ding resistant are these protectors? I'm wondering about from ball traffic on the top side (esp. if a ball got scratched up), and any playfield scratches on the underside. They look pretty resilient though, I'm guessing this is a non-issue with regular maintenance and ball changes.

I'd love to order one of these for my EM. Shipping to the US is kind of pricey (~$45) but it looks like it's shipped flat.

Edit - Ordered! No more hemming and hawing for me. Total with the protector, shipping, and PayPal currency conversion fees was about $160 USD.

#40 4 years ago

The MM castle comes out pretty easily. Not a big issue.

The protectors play like a freshly waxed playfield.

#41 4 years ago

The protectors (or at least mine anyway) was shipped in a roll in a tube.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from LeChuck:

How scratch / ding resistant are these protectors? I'm wondering about from ball traffic on the top side (esp. if a ball got scratched up), and any playfield scratches on the underside. They look pretty resilient though, I'm guessing this is a non-issue with regular maintenance and ball changes.
    I'd love to order one of these for my EM. Shipping to the US is kind of pricey (~$45) but it looks like it's shipped flat.
    Edit - Ordered! No more hemming and hawing for me. Total with the protector, shipping, and PayPal currency conversion fees was about $160 USD.

Very resilient , I compare the material to the same on headlights. You can lightly buff scratches out and in my experience ball life is extended. Air balls do not make me cringe anymore. Best part is piece of mind in knowing I can play all I want guilt free. worst case I’ll just buy another protector if this one wears out, or play on the untouched playfield.

I’ll be doing a Batman 66 on by the end of the month. I’ll make a video or stream it.

#43 4 years ago

All mine have shipped flat between two pieces of cardboard.

Be sure to use new pinballs or they will get scuffed.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from LeChuck:

Too bad you didnt do it last week, they were ruunning a 20% off sale.

The last few years at Allentown they offered a 10% discount and free pickup at the show. You had to pre-buy it online about a month before the show. Maybe the would do a similar deal at TPF if people expressed an interest?

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

Too bad you didnt do it last week, they were ruunning a 20% off sale.
    The last few years at Allentown they offered a 10% discount and free pickup at the show. You had to pre-buy it online about a month before the show. Maybe the would do a similar deal at TPF if people expressed an interest?

And Black Friday is around the corner, as well.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

I asked, but no response yet.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphcousman:

Best part is piece of mind in knowing I can play all I want guilt free. worst case I’ll just buy another protector if this one wears out, or play on the untouched playfield.

Exactly!

#48 4 years ago

I played a Sinbad with a protector and I was very impressed

#49 4 years ago

I absolutely HATE playing a pin with one of these installed. It changes the ball roll, it adds more spin, it also changes the speed and sound.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

I absolutely HATE playing a pin with one of these installed. It changes the ball roll, it adds more spin, it also changes the speed and sound.

Or it makes playing the game much better, like on my HH. The window has no impact on the ball path now. Love mine.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-ever-used-a-playfield-protector-from-playfield-protectors?hl=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.