(Topic ID: 18801)

Has anyone ever turned a pin cabinet into a bar/table? (Skateball)

By tonymiddendorf

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hey guys. I've got a Skateball with a blown-out PF, and now it looks like I need to do some work on the rectifier board as well. This type of repair is out of my league, and I don't think it's worth sticking a bunch of cash into this game. I want to put a (small) bar into my gameroom, and I think this might just work.

You know how lots of bars have that section that folds up for the servers to walk in and out? The idea would be to put reverse hinges on the backbox so it can fold up (the way it normally looks when set up as a pin) or fold down flat to the playfield, extending the length of the bar. The backbox would simply rest on some supports that are anchored into the wall. Currently my idea is to simply adjust the leg levelers so that the glass is flat. (i.e. jack up the front and lower the back) Those old 80's games don't have too much slope to them.

Of course, I'll take most of the stuff out of the backbox and sell/give it away. Also, I'll need to put some sort of tempered glass or strong plastic over the translight/backglass to protect it. I'm leaning toward swapping out the Skateball backglass and replacing with a plastic translite from a similar style game like Radical or something.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm no carpenter, so this project could end up a total flop.

#2 11 years ago

I always wanted to turn a pf into a coffee table, but never thought about a bar.

#3 11 years ago

tony baby. I don't think the fix is out of your league. Just a new fix for you. You can solder and trace, thats all you gotta to do to start finding where the issue lies. The pf is blown out but it is a cool game. If you could make it a bar but still playable...hell yes

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

If you could make it a bar but still playable...hell yes

Oh boy, you're onto something!

#5 11 years ago

A few, very few, picks on Shorty's website. That can give you some ideas as their tables are playfields

http://www.shortydog.com/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 10.00
$ 45.00
$ 199.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-ever-turned-a-pin-cabinet-into-a-bartable-skateball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.