(Topic ID: 225951)

Has anyone ever repaired a garage door opener logic board?

By Pinless

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pinless
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s-l1600 (1) (resized).jpg
    91D1EE79-B049-47FD-A7E6-FDCFCFCEEEFF (resized).jpeg
    092DAAA8-254C-4DD9-A057-282B5964E072 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

We recently had lightning strike nearby and caused a surge to several of our electronics. Both garage door openers now have logic board issues. They show no signs of power even though they’re plugged into outlets that have power.

The easy fix is to replace the logic board, but I was wondering if any of the circuit board gurus here have ever been able to repair them.

The boards are close to $120, and I can almost buy a new opener for that much $. It would be cool to be able to solder in a $3 part and get them going again.

#2 5 years ago

What brand? Pictures?

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

What brand? Pictures?

It’s a LiftMaster 8355w

Here is a link to the logic board:

https://www.liftmaster.com/50actwf-replacement-logic-board-wifi/p/050ACTWF

#4 5 years ago

double post

#5 5 years ago

1. To answer your question: "Yes".

2. A lightning strike could have taken out several things on the board, including the CPU. It is best to replace.

3. That said, assuming no schematic, try to verify +5v logic voltage. If not present, try repairing that circuit using standard electronic troubleshooting techniques. There may be a microfuse that has popped. If that does not result in a working board, replace it or the opener, especially if it is older and the motor start cap is going to go anyway.

#6 5 years ago

Here is a board from home one of the openers:

092DAAA8-254C-4DD9-A057-282B5964E072 (resized).jpeg092DAAA8-254C-4DD9-A057-282B5964E072 (resized).jpeg91D1EE79-B049-47FD-A7E6-FDCFCFCEEEFF (resized).jpeg91D1EE79-B049-47FD-A7E6-FDCFCFCEEEFF (resized).jpeg
    #7 5 years ago

Damn. All that stuff for a garage door opener.

#8 5 years ago

Shoot cosmokramer a PM, I think he’s got some professional garage door experience.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

We recently had lightning strike nearby and caused a surge to several of our electronics. Both garage door openers now have logic board issues. They show no signs of power even though they’re plugged into outlets that have power.
    The easy fix is to replace the logic board, but I was wondering if any of the circuit board gurus here have ever been able to repair them.
    The boards are close to $120, and I can almost buy a new opener for that much $. It would be cool to be able to solder in a $3 part and get them going again.

Been there, done that. Just bit the bullet & replaced the board...

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

Here is a board from home one of the openers:
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Surface mount? Time you pay someone to diagnose and fix it, you're better off replacing with a new board.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Surface mount? Time you pay someone to diagnose and fix it, you're better off replacing with a new board.

You’re right, I just thought I’d ask and see if someone has had luck pinpointing the issues.

I wish they’d put some sort of inline fuse to prevent the board from frying.

Seems like such a waste when it makes more sense to trash a perfectly good (<2 yr old, HUO, NOOB, imamaculate with <600 cycles) opener because the board is so expensive.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

You’re right, I just thought I’d ask and see if someone has had luck pinpointing the issues.
    I wish they’d put some sort of inline fuse to prevent the board from frying.
    Seems like such a waste when it makes more sense to trash a perfectly good (&lt;2 yr old, HUO, NOOB, imamaculate with &lt;600 cycles) opener because the board is so expensive.

I thought maybe that black 4 lead part was a fusible link or something, but I looked up the part number and it's a bridge rectifier. Nothing else immediately jumps out, and you need special equipment to replace surface mount parts, so...not worth the time and hassle...

$20-30 Surge protector might have prevented this, though. Be a good idea moving forward.

#13 5 years ago

your best bet is one of these, will save you money down the road

s-l1600 (1) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (1) (resized).jpg
    #14 5 years ago

Just like others have suggested...replace the board... I stopped repairing opener boards years ago

Chamberlain makes a plug in surge protector that will help keep it from happening again

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Chamberlain makes a plug in surge protector that will help keep it from happening again

for not much more $$$ you can do a whole house protector as a first line of defense then a surge strips as a secondary precaution

#16 5 years ago

Just a thought, did you check the circuit breaker? In my house, the garage doors have their own breaker.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:I thought maybe that black 4 lead part was a fusible link or something, but I looked up the part number and it's a bridge rectifier.

The device PinMonk is referring to, D2, can easily be tested. It basically the same as a bridge rectifier on the WPC driver boards. Here's a link to the datasheet: https://www.vishay.com/docs/88573/dfs.pdf. Just use your DMM in diode mode to see if the 4 diodes are still intact.

Also, U3 is LM317 voltage regulator - just check the output voltage.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

for not much more $$$ you can do a whole house protector as a first line of defense then a surge strips as a secondary precaution

The chamberlain product is exclusively for garage door openers....it has a place to plug in the safety eyes also to protect them as well

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

your best bet is one of these, will save you money down the road
    [quoted image]

Thanks for the link. Definitely going to look into it.

We had one of those overpriced Monster Cable surge protectors and all of our home theater equipment still suffered board issues. Lost 2 tv’s, audio system, Blu-ray, modem, 2 garage door openers, gfi, and HVAC .

Thankfully I had just unplugged my HSII 2 minutes before the lightning hit.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

Thanks for the link. Definitely going to look into it.
    We had one of those overpriced Monster Cable surge protectors and all of our home theater equipment still suffered board issues. Lost 2 tv’s, audio system, Blu-ray, modem, 2 garage door openers, gfi, and HVAC .
    Thankfully I had just unplugged my HSII 2 minutes before the lightning hit.

Monster is garbage. Look into ISOBAR, although they're starting to cheap out on the brand now, too.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Monster is garbage. Look into ISOBAR, although they're starting to cheap out on the brand now, too.

Thanks for the tip. I assumed they were overrated and overpriced like some other name brand consumer grade equipment.

#22 5 years ago

In something like this i would replace the board. Who knows if components are marginal now. A malfunction in the future due to a failed or weakened component could result in the door opening unexpectedly when your not home or failing to open when needed. Its cheap enough to replace for piece of mind.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Just like others have suggested...replace the board... I stopped repairing opener boards years ago

The little man knows all!

#24 5 years ago

New openers with backup batteries on order. Whole home surge protector has been added to the priority list.

Thanks for all of the info!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-ever-repaired-a-garage-door-opener-logic-board?hl=pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.