Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the x-mas.jpg
_20150213_131456.JPG
500pxShopped.jpg
IMG_20150206_142015.jpg
smurf-of-tron.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Kind of a "shower thought" of mine the other day....

Has anyone ever completely re-themed an "A" title? (TAF, TZ, AFM, MM, etc.)

I was curious because with a game like TAF, everyone always says it's the gameplay that makes it such a classic and so fun to play. So, I was curious if anyone had ever tested that theory and completely re-themed a game that everyone already loves so much. I also ask because it wasn't like the Addams Family movie was a huge blockbuster, but the game flew out of the factory and is a solid money earner to this day. With a movie that really isn't a classic, it has to be gameplay that keeps them dropping quarters.

So, what if someone were to re-theme one of these "A" games that are known more for their play more than their theme? Would it hold up? Would it pale in comparison?

Who has enough money and patience to be the first to try it?
(Not me!)

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Has anyone ever completely re-themed an "A" title? (TAF, TZ, AFM, MM, etc.)

AFM looks like the only "A" title you have there. You also have two "T" titles and an "M" .

#3 9 years ago

Yes MM to Medieval Castle.
look for homebrew and boutique Medieval Castle.

IMG_20150206_142015.jpgIMG_20150206_142015.jpg
#4 9 years ago

like this

smurf-of-tron.jpgsmurf-of-tron.jpg

#5 9 years ago

Heresy!

Please tell me that's not real. Please tell me it's photoshopped! I won't be able to sleep tonight!

#6 9 years ago

If it is real, they did a huge injustice to Applejack and Fluttershy. Please don't ask how I know their names...

#7 9 years ago

It is not like Disks of Tron is rare or anything.... Oh wait....

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from KerryD:

It is not like Disks of Tron is rare or anything.... Oh wait....

Even if this is real, this could always be converted back. Big question is does it still have the original boards as that voice board is a pita to get.

#10 9 years ago

cool i have two of the machines on that list ac dc and rush. i didnt know that site existed.

#11 9 years ago

Would love to see someone re-theme a TOM into "Hellraiser". The spinning box would be perfect.

#12 9 years ago

Data East re-themed a few games....

TAF- Jurassic Park
T2- Lethal Weapon 3

#13 9 years ago

I would like to find a beater TOM and retheme it.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

Would love to see someone re-theme a TOM into "Hellraiser". The spinning box would be perfect.

You see, that's what I'm talking about! That would be amazing, and tons of material to draw from.

#16 9 years ago

I know about Medieval Castle. However, it started life as an NBA FastBreak, not a MM, and not an "A" title.

What I'm talking about is like what was suggested earlier with TOM being redone into Hellraiser. In order to do it, you have to sacrifice a very sought after title.

Or in MM terms.....

Start with a MM and retheme it into Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail, or Futurama, or Willy Wonka. Doesn't really matter. It's the sacrificing of the high dollar game which is key here.

#17 9 years ago

I want to take a belt sander to a Metallica LE and retheme it into a real band ... Megadeth!

#18 9 years ago

I've always been interested in re-doing the artwork on some kind of modern Stern one day. Not that I have anything particularly bad to say about their current art, but a modern Stern machine would make a great canvas.

For example, take an Iron Man and re-do the artwork in a high action comic book style.
Or take a Tron and re-do it in a more retro, minimal style inspired by the original Tron film.
Or go full vintage muscle car style on a Mustang.

Maybe not as original as a full re-theme, but it would be significantly easier to pull off while still ending up with a very unique pin & piece of art.

#19 9 years ago

Theater of Magic into "GOB's Theater of ILLUSIONS, Michael"

Guess if you started with a beat to hell A title, wouldn't be that big of a deal.

#20 9 years ago

toddkay: That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. You get it.

benheck: That's what I was thinking, too. If someone were to start with a beat to hell game, and there are MANY of them out there, it wouldn't be a huge step into starting with something fresh.

I'm thinking with all the repro playfields being made for these "A" titles, it'd be pretty easy to source one with zero artwork on it and come up with something original for a whole new theme. Gameplay, mechanics, and flow would be taken care of completely, all one would need to do is to be creative artistically and you could have a whole new game, practically.

Oh, and ".....'tricks' are what whores do for money......or candy!"

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

IMG_20150206_142015.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That's really cool... So am I correct in assuming that this isn't a "re-theme" per say but a customized art package for the same game? VERY COOL either way and great work!

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

like this
smurf-of-tron.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

500pxShopped.jpg500pxShopped.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is fake, light reflections off the art for one thing are non-existent and don't match the rest of the image. Also I can't believe anyone would actually think this looks decent unless they had some form of brain damage.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Archytas:

500pxShopped.jpg
I'm pretty sure this is fake, light reflections off the art for one thing are non-existent and don't match the rest of the image. Also I can't believe anyone would actually think this looks decent unless they had some form of brain damage.

hehehehe....

#24 9 years ago

Borg rethemed FH into Tron.

Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Data East re-themed a few games....
TAF- Jurassic Park
T2- Lethal Weapon 3

HS - Secret Service

#26 9 years ago

I remember finding that website from the custom Roadshow he did. It's amazing what some people have the skill set and patience for.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

IMG_20150206_142015.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

A GOT MM retheme would be cool!

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

A GOT MM retheme would be cool!

Something like this ?._20150213_131456.JPG_20150213_131456.JPG

#29 9 years ago

Medievel castle is more of a sequel then a retheme.

Which is even more epic.

#30 9 years ago

I have heard whispers of people turning a NBAFB into a BBB...

#31 9 years ago

There were ideas to re-theme 'the Matrix' into a 'X-mas/new-year' machine with a a flying sleigh instead of the nebuchanezzar, a reindeer multiball , a x-mas gift frenzy and a santa's-green-little-helper-hurry-up.
Never came that far..

the x-mas.jpgthe x-mas.jpg

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

There were ideas to re-theme 'the Matrix' into a 'X-mas/new-year' machine with a a flying sleigh instead of the nebuchanezzar, a reindeer multiball , a x-mas gift frenzy and a santa's-green-little-helper-hurry-up.
Never came that far..
the x-mas.jpg

Well you can always make a special edition kit with a new backbox translite and "LE" sofware

#33 9 years ago

A new backbox translite....who knows

#34 9 years ago

There's a TSPP on location at a kids museum in Illinois that they re-themed into The Brain.
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5233

#35 9 years ago

Damn, I was hoping it was "The Brain" as in "Pinky and the Brain".....

Still pretty cool, though!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Potomac Falls, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 1,059.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.