Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by scooter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball_3.jpg
    pinball_5.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has LED'd out their EM machine, and if so, how'd it look. Do you like it or no. Just curious, as I may end up adding an EM to my collection some day.

#2 12 years ago

I've seen a few. While it looked pretty cool, I still like the traditional look better.

#3 12 years ago

I would put some LEDs in an EM if I had one. You just have to make sure not to over do it. It probably makes sense to at least stick some LEDs in the pop bumpers, since normal bulbs often fail quickly due to the vibrations.

#4 12 years ago

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If YOU think it looks good, then that's all that really matters. Personally, I think adding LED's to EM's (and early SS) spoils the 'vintage' appearance. I tried adding a few to my '79 Paragon and didn't really like 'em. ...though the idea of just putting them in the pop bumpers is a good one.

EDIT: ...just after posting this I remembered that I have LED's in my '79 Flash, and I think they look great. ...so I guess it just depends on the machine, and what looks good to you.

#5 12 years ago

here's 1

pinball_5.jpgpinball_5.jpg pinball_3.jpgpinball_3.jpg

#6 12 years ago

I tried on a few but just didn't look right

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

You just have to make sure not to over do it

Quoted from hawkeye11:

I still like the traditional look better.

I was at the Texas Pinball Festival 2011, and a lot of the EMs had an insane amount of LEDs forced into them. I played the stupidest looking Mata Hari imaginable. Ever LED was a different color, and they were so bright I could hardly see. It was unplayable and destroyed the coolness of the vintage gaming experience. When done correctly, using the right colors, and not using too many that no one can see, it can look good. Overly I would advise not using LEDs, or only using a few white ones. I enjoy praising the game as it was made, and only suggest minor customization to non-playing parts, but as others said, it is totally your call, and will depend a lot on the EM itself, and how much effort you will put into making it perfect.

#8 12 years ago

thats a good point mykquillion

#9 12 years ago

I put them in a friends Abra ca dabra, it looked awesome after it was all switched over. Really made it look alot better and matched the Magic theme well with some colour changing LED's in a few spots.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

I put them in a friends Abra ca dabra, it looked awesome after it was all switched over.

Yeah erak!!
    For sure- with that great bold artwork... That would definitely compliment the LED's!
    But it is kind of a hit and miss type with EM's
    I am sure a 'CE3K' with pinks, greens, blues and yellows would come out sweet!
    There was one on my local CL for $250 I should of went for it...

#11 12 years ago

Scooter, that machine looks sweet!

#12 12 years ago

I put a few in the Bally Star Trek. It looks great. I may put more.

#13 12 years ago

I imagine the games with the spinning wheel (like the Lightning Lamp in TOTAN) would look neat with an LED or two under them.

#14 12 years ago

Thanks for the comment bigbill55

Quoted from ThePostmaster:Scooter, that machine looks sweet!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-ever-ledd-a-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.