Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pinfidel
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Was just wondering if any pinsiders ever exchanged pins for a few months then swapped them back. For instance, I would trade one of my pins for IJ, WH20, or TZ for 3-6 months, but I would most certainly want my pin back. Obviously it would have to be someone local and trustworthy, but is this something anyone has done? Or is it too risky? I'm guessing I would have to write a contract just to cover each other's pins in case of accident (like the other guy's basement floods or house catches fire and destroys the pin). Thoughts?

#2 10 years ago

i think its a cool idea. But makes me nervous just thinking about it. Considering both have different values and conditions, just too many issues that could happen. Whether on purpose or not, potentially there's alot to lose.

#3 10 years ago

Many times with a few buddies who I trust. Great way to have access to a new pin, play it for 4 - 6 months then return it and you're stoked to be able to play your original pin again.

Terminator 2 for Whitewater
    Theatre of Magic for Indiana Jones
    Addams Family for Fish Tales
    Theatre of Magic for Star Trek Next Generation
    Demolition Man for Junkyard
    Addams Family for Dracula (soon)

#4 10 years ago

Couple of us locals have done "Pinsitting" I deliver the pin to a buddies house because I run out of room. But I have never traded titles for a temporary amount of time. I like the idea and may try to implement it.

#5 10 years ago

I've done a bunch of temp trades with local guys. No problems.

No contracts or anything. Try to trade games that are in the same ballpark $ wise in case something terrible actually happens. Your game gets destroyed by flood or fire at the other guy's house? Now you own his game. Simple... and what are the chances?

Don't temp trade your holy grail pin. Don't temp trade if you're anal. Shit happens.

#6 10 years ago

Yea, I would be nervous but only with someone I don't know. I guess it comes down to trust. Someone I know well, I don't think there's any issue because if something were to happen the other would make it right. Someone I met online and never in person, well, a well-worded contract is in order. I've never been to a show, although I am going to my first at Allentown this year, wasn't sure if regulars to the shows do this.

#7 10 years ago

For good friends only

#8 10 years ago

Yep, but only with people I trust. Well, mostly. I think I could take them in a fight... At least I know where they live, I mean. Sh1t, maybe it was a bad idea afterall...

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Engine09:

Many times with a few buddies who I trust. Great way to have access to a new pin, play it for 4 - 6 months then return it and you're stoked to be able to play your original pin again.
    Terminator 2 for Whitewater
    Theatre of Magic for Indiana Jones
    Addams Family for Fish Tales
    Theatre of Magic for Star Trek Next Generation
    Demolition Man for junkyard
    Addams Family for Dracula (soon)

That's awesome. Exactly what I was thinking, it's like an exchange program, but you always get your baby back.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

Yep, but only with people I trust. Well, mostly. I think I could take them in a fight... At least I know where they live, I mean. Sh1t, maybe it was a bad idea afterall...

lol

#11 10 years ago

I have put some thought into this scenario in the past and realized that it would require good communication and understanding between the folks trading. If 4 people offered up pins that everyone agreed on and they keep them for 3-4 months each and when its time to relocate you would move your own pin. If anything more serious than a light going out the owner could be called. A few other details but I think it could work with the right group of owners. I would be willing to discuss this further if anyone in my area is interested.

#12 10 years ago

I traded my BSD for a Family Guy for about 6 months approx. But, it was with one of my best friends, so there were zero worries that way...

#13 10 years ago

I have temp traded and loaned games several times with good friends. Never had a problem. I have BSD on loan to a friend right now as I was out of space for a bit. As others mentioned, a temp trade is a great way to get a lot of time in on a game you either wouldn't buy or may be considering buying. When you trade back, the game you loaned out seems like a new game again!

Brian

#14 10 years ago

Traded my NBA Fastbreak for a friends Johnny Mnemonic for a couple months. No issues. Trusted each other and communicated.

#15 10 years ago

I think it should be done more as people can play the pin and see if they like it before buying it. Save some cash as not every pin needs to be purchased.

#16 10 years ago

Its no big deal... just do it with your GOOD pin freinds, and dont do it with destitue people that cant afford to replace the machine if a fire or flood thing happened..

Pins are just wood, glass, and metal in the end...

but i would not do it with a casual pin aquaintance..

#17 10 years ago

I have done it in the past and would consider doing it again. Both pins were similar in value so there wasnt that much risk. We both agreed to fix any issues that popped up on the others pin and keep it clean. We swapped for about 6 months and it was a win win. I didnt have anything in writing, I knew the other guy and he was active on several forums.

#18 10 years ago

I didn't think trading with anyone I knew would be an issue, thing is, I know a lot of people but I'm the only one that owns pinball machines. So if I trade it would have to be someone I don't really know on a personal level, at least at first. Would be nice if there was some kind of standard written agreement out there that would keep both parties covered if anything went wrong and protected each others property. Something like person "X" agrees that person "Y's" pinball machine is worth x amount of dollars, and vice versa. Maybe document with pics and state normal wear and tear is OK. If anything breaks the other owner needs to be informed...yada, yada, yada. Probably easier to just start going to shows, or if the Northeast club gets going, and see if I can talk one of you local guys with multiple pins (that have a title I want) in trading with me

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from vilant:

I didn't think trading with anyone I knew would be an issue, thing is, I know a lot of people but I'm the only one that owns pinball machines. So if I trade it would have to be someone I don't really know on a personal level, at least at first. Would be nice if there was some kind of standard written agreement out there that would keep both parties covered if anything went wrong and protected each others property. Something like person "X" agrees that person "Y's" pinball machine is worth x amount of dollars, and vice versa. Maybe document with pics and state normal wear and tear is OK. If anything breaks the other owner needs to be informed...yada, yada, yada. Probably easier to just start going to shows, or if the Northeast club gets going, and see if I can talk one of you local guys with multiple pins (that have a title I want) in trading with me

When you have to do any of this to swap pins for a while with someone, your doing it with the wrong person to start with...

Make some good pin friends then entertain the idea...

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

When you have to do any of this to swap pins for a while with someone, your doing it with the wrong person to start with...
    Make some good pin friends then entertain the idea...

I know, your right. I've always done things with a handshake and my word. The written agreement thing though, is more to make the other person feel at ease (maybe a little for myself if it's a complete stranger ). I would never screw someone over, because I've been screwed (and with my most recent purchase ) I know how it feels and just wouldn't do that to someone.

#21 10 years ago

There are a few pinheads in my area I would feel comfortable trying this with but these are folks that I have been to their homes and played their lineup and vice versa. These are friends. None of them have crazy kids, wild dogs or vice versa.

#22 10 years ago

I have talked to a local friend about it and we will do it one day. Not worried about it at all.

#24 10 years ago

I've done it a couple times. My TAF for a SS and my CV for a SM. The trade was done with a good friend whose respect for his games matched mine or I wouldn't have done it.

#25 10 years ago

There is sort of a running gag around my area about how many people have loaned machines from me. But that isn't really a trade, since I never get anything back, other than the knowledge that someone is loving them.

Hell, I'm crazy enough that one of my pins is loaned to an operator to have on route, which I TOTALLY love doing. Gets pinball out there more, even though I'm not making a dime from it.

#26 10 years ago

I have a friends POTO on loan right now, because he needs the room at his house for a while. I would let him hold onto one of my games if the situation were in reverse, or for a temp trade.

Anyone want to buy a POTO?

#27 10 years ago

Great idea I just wish the pins were lighter as truly it is so much work sometimes to move them from one location to another !!!

I can see where this would be a good thing for people that like to have a smaller collection 1-5 pins as larger collections it truly is tough to get bored and you have enough variety. I had a 5 pin collection from 2007-2011 (same 5 pins) and did get bored and the boredom forced me out of the hobby (I also didn't have the strongest collection...T2, Dr. Who, TEED OFF, Cue Ball Wizard and GNR because I was new to pinball and truly didn't know any better as I never played much pinball when I was younger). I got back in last year and went to 16 pins (with a lot of A listers this time) and truly found that was too many (well the wife felt it was too many...LOL) and we both agreed on a 10 pin collection (mixture of many newer sterns and oldies but goodies like FH and TZ) which is the perfect number and is enough that I never get bored so swapping really isn't necessary in my opinion but in a smaller collection I can see where it makes A LOT of sense.

Again, if only they were lighter as the Elvis I just bought is still sitting in my SUV !!!

#29 10 years ago

trade with friends. pins get stale, freshin things up mang!

#30 10 years ago

I traded my TAF for WH2O once for a year. It worked out well.

#31 10 years ago

Pretty much what everyone else is saying. I have pins on loan\ at the pinsitter (cuz i'm in the process of finishing the basement)...I've temporary traded pins...I'll be loaning a couple pins for an upcoming tourney.

There's probably a handful of guys that I would consider temp trades in my area. I have 100% confidence where my pins are now..and they'll be taking care of properly (and have). You also have to have an open mind if something breaks. I mean does it really matter who pushes the start button when the 'Check Fuse F115 and F116' error pops? We actually just had that at the 'pinsitters' last night

Now the bastard that has my AFM...and installed the ColorDMD without asking is gonna have a talking to when I pick it up

#32 10 years ago

I agree with pretty much all the comments here... I don't think I could ever do it though, simply because my machine is in my basement and I really wouldn't want to drag it back upstairs and out of the house!!! Was a bit of a chore getting it down there to begin with!

#33 10 years ago

I can't believe this thread. I was thinking about how to do this and implement it in a good/safe way a month ago. I told my wife about it and how I thought it was a great way to try out pins and have variety without having to shell out all kinds of money for them. It's especially cool if your limited on space, because now you can have a different game in the same spot every month. I even had the name picked out for it. I was going to call it the "PEP" Club (Pinball Exchange Program).

My idea (if possible) was to get 4-6 people in a general area together and get them to swap equal value machines around for 1 month at a time. SO, if I put up my South Park machine, then the other people in the club would put up a similar priced game. Say T2, RS, FT, Taxi, PZ and my SP for an example. So, I'd pass my game to a person while I get say, Taxi. I then have taxi for 1 month. Then I swap taxi to the next person in line while I get say, RS. I have RS for a month and then pass it along again while getting the next machine. 6 months later, I get South Park back. I could do the same thing with TF (although my wife would probably kill me as she loves it LOL). And that grouping could be say...AV, Xmen, MET, AC/DC, and ST. And so on.

It could be a lot of fun. The only down side is moving the pins around. That's a pain in the... no matter how you look at it. Of course, you need to do this with good/trust worthy people who you know take care of their machines and would inturn take even better care of another persons machine.

#34 10 years ago

Thumbs up to the OP.

#35 10 years ago

I have multiple games out for storage reasons. So you could call it a trade. I trade my game for a period and they give me space to store it.

Only with people I trust wholeheartedly and only in instances where if something catastrophic occurred I could live with it.

Mike O.

#36 10 years ago

Never pins...only wives...

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Never pins...only wives...

I love Ted..

#38 10 years ago

I've found that 6 months is the perfect time for a temp trade. Enough time to work your way through to the wizard mode and get a real feel for the pin. You'll know if it's a title you want to buy in the future or one you're glad you didn't.

And you really do not want to be moving machines more than you have to, even when you're careful as hell and wrap everything up you're going to at least get a small scuff moving it out or in.

#39 10 years ago

I like this concept as having room for only 2-3 pins and interested in trying others .
    I would like to find some pinsiders in my area that treat their machines good, and would be into doing this, as I don't know anyone else personally that owns one.

#40 10 years ago

There are some locals that have that I know of. I have not due to lack of close friends in the hobby. None of my friends have machines they just come over and play mine with me.

#41 10 years ago

Me and Fattrain have a few times we live a mile away from each other and try to have different lineups so we keep it fresh, I would only do this with a close friend.

Joe(acejedi)

#42 10 years ago

Thanks for all the input fellas. I like the PEP idea too, Pinfidel. I would really like to do a trade sometime, I've just been itchin' for an IJ, WH2O, or TZ to play. But I'll wait to build trust first. For any possible locals that might be interested in a future trade, I take good care of my pins, and I've got TAF and CFTBL for trade bait. There's not much I can't figure out without schematics and a little guidance (on things I've never done) and I've been honing my soldering skills. So any kind of breakdown on my or your pins could be found and fixed by me fairly easily(if that's what you wanted). For all you pin traders, I'm jealous, but hope to join the ranks in the future.

#43 10 years ago

Pin trading is a great idea. I really like it. Like I said though, it's a pain in the butt to move them. All in all. I just wosh I had a damn arcade 15-30 minutes away I could shoot off to for a couple hours to enjoy playing some different machines. Nearest place to me (Pinball Wizard Arcade) is almost 2 hours away. *Sigh* I'm actually headed there Saturday if anyone from the Boston, NH, ME area is interested in hanging out and having some fun. I even started a thread for it. I think I'll find it and bump it up. Check it out if your interested.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-ever-done-a-temporary-trade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.