(Topic ID: 36030)

Ever bought a NIB and within the first week or 2 didn't like it?

By Khabbi

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Have you ever disliked a NIB pin that you purchased yourself within the first week or two of ownership?”

• YES! 25 votes
      47%
    • NO! 28 votes
      53%

(53 votes)

#1 6 years ago

For conversation, I want to ask all those that have bought a NIB pinball Machine, whether it be a Stern or Bally/Williams, and within the first week or two decided you didn't like it? And I mean a machine that you picked out for your personal collection, not one that you unboxed at work, as it makes a difference when you select the title and theme yourself.

And if you did unbox one that you personally didn't like, what title was it?

And please, limit it to the first few weeks that you've owned the machine.

#2 6 years ago

My 2nd pin. FGY. Bought it sight unseen about 5 years ago. This was before I found rgp or pinside. Bought it cause I really liked my first sight unseen pin (LoTR). Needless to say, a few tweaks and setting adjustments, and through time it grew on me. I ended up owning it for 4 years and its currently #2 on my ratings list. Great game, just took a little getting used to.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

My 2nd pin. FGY. Bought it sight unseen about 5 years ago. This was before I found rgp or pinside. Bought it cause I really liked my first sight unseen pin (LoTR). Needless to say, a few tweaks and setting adjustments, and through time it grew on me. I ended up owning it for 4 years and its currently #2 on my ratings list. Great game, just took a little getting used to.

So you're answer is, "No."

#4 6 years ago

Not with a NIB. But it's happened to me a few times on used games.

#5 6 years ago

Of course I have. Xmen. But we all know that story. I actually like this code better!

#6 6 years ago

wolverine and tron. both bought new this fall. wolverine was better with the new code. tron? don't get the following. I don't get riding in a jeep either... "It's a Tron thing. you wouldn't understand"

#7 6 years ago

BDK.....It didn't take a week to dislike it, it took a day! It was gone real quick.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from mezzblue:

BDK.....It didn't take a week to dislike it, it took a day! It was gone real quick.

Unboxed mine, game was bad just out of the box
    Updated the code and it improved alot

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Unboxed mine, game was bad put of the box
    Updated the code and it inptved alot

Drinking much ?

#10 6 years ago

stern indiana jones - really tried to like it - had no shots - love the multiball - but that was all i liked - and i am a stern lover - game just didn't do it for me

thanks ed

#11 6 years ago

Just looked at the results to this point, 50-50%. I did not expect that many to dislike a NIB they purchased.

#12 6 years ago

I didn't enjoy it much,I was very happy to get more tha I paid for it.
    Thought for sure I would lose a lot on that one.

#13 6 years ago

XMEN "Wolverine" LE

Sold it for a loss.

Jon

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from edcianci:

Stern Indiana Jones - really tried to like it - had no shots - love the multiball - but that was all i liked - and i am a stern lover - game just didn't do it for me
    thanks ed

Ditto this. Bought a huo Stern Indy and worked out a trade for it after about a day. It was in house less than a week. Traded it for a FGY.

#15 6 years ago

No. Only NIB I bought was Tron. Was totally blown away. Way better in home then out in the wild.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shadow:

Ditto this. Bought a huo Stern Indy and worked out a trade for it after about a day. It was in house less than a week. Traded it for a FGY.

Nice trade!

#17 6 years ago

I'm in the Stern IJ club.

Had a Williams IJ for five years. Sold it. Two years later Stern came out with their IJ and I figure it might be a good replacement. Wrong.

Bought for $4000 and sold about two months later for $3600. Not too much loss. Tried to like it but couldn't. Wanted to sell it before word got out how much it s#cked.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

Drinking much ?

Says the pot...

I've never personally had this experience with a NIB, but I do know a few people on here that have! *wink* *wink* dot dot dot.

#19 6 years ago

Not me, but I think Smassa put his TFLE up for sale like 12 hours after he opened it.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from treborlicec:

Not me, but I think Smassa put his TFLE up for sale like 12 hours after he opened it.

Have the code updates salvaged TF at all?

#21 6 years ago

How about that guy that didn't like his NIB game even though he never opened it? That's a whole other poll right there. TFLE I believe.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Says the pot...
    I've never personally had this experience with a NIB, but I do know a few people on here that have! *wink* *wink* dot dot dot.

I like my AV's... dot dot dot.. to me its not perfect, but as a whole i am really digging it after some work...

I just dont like the way Stern does stuff...

But if i want new pins, "themes i like" i guess i have to play or pass..

In the end overall, glad i played..

#23 6 years ago

don't dislike my xmen, but really think it deserves better code

#24 6 years ago

Yes, it was a last second desperation heave that hit nothing but net. Other guy was very happy to get Stern IJ. I had never played it before. Just not for me. Worked the trade out the week leading to Expo.

How have you been?

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

So you're answer is, "No."

actually it was a yes. I reread my post and wasn't specific enough. After a month of owning it, I almost sold it cause I didn't like it and didn't know what to do. That's when I found rgp and just before putting it up for sale, I tweaked settings, got drunk, and fell in love with it

#26 6 years ago

Stern IJ wanted to love it so much huge Indy fan big let down put an end to my NIB without playing first traded it for an MGB.

#27 6 years ago

Yep, TFLE and XMenLE.
    TFLE took a while to grow on me, but now it's not going anywhere! XMen is still open for debate.

#28 6 years ago

XM LE wish I'd never got it, the code is terrible but can be fixed, even taking that out of the equation, I don't like the game all that much.

I'm feeling even if the code does get fixed it still won't be great code. I mean just the direction it is taking, and especially if there is any stacking involved with heroes it's a big mess up.

I was playing Weapon X and the same time as Storm. It makes no sense to have them both going at one time. It's a story such as Weapon X trying to escape from the facility, Storm or Gambit or anyone else not welcome.

It would be bad enough if I got a game which I didn't like too much, but to make matters worse there are endless XM for sale each one racing lower in price. If I could have escaped at $5800 I would not care but it seems like price is getting lower by the day.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 5,899.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 25.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 85.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Flipper Parts
    TheDudeMods
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside