(Topic ID: 14103)

Has anyone else noticed this on Pinside lately?

By islandpinball

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Honch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Elvira_001.jpg
    There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

But if you want to get out there and meet others and share in this great hobby, it's better done by letting us know who the hell you are.

That is true, but what you are saying is for everyone to put their name out there regardless of the consequences. Just because nothing bad has happened to you, doesn't mean shit doesn't happen to others.

For the record though I have met a load of nice people through this hobby. If it weren't for the fact that I never have all my machines working I probably would have held a small tournament for the locals I know. As it is many of us tend to visit those in the vicinity to check out each other's games now and again, but I seem to go a fair number of texts/calls a day from folks related to the hobby.

#52 12 years ago

I could go on and let everyone know that BVM and I have been trading 'words' via PM since i exposed him in this thread. Started off nasty...mid way gets nicer....ends up offering me a night out and a cup of tea..... But that would make me a snitch...wouldnt it? dammit, i hate snitches...oh well.....

Man im such a nice guy, it makes me want to puke......

#53 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Oh trust me, I've met a flake or two in this hobby, but they are maybe one in a hundred. On the other hand, I've met tons of great people and have made friends all over the States. I think part of it is because I actually post as ME. Not something like "dickwad 2000", although that may be fitting.
    My wife travels for work, now and then, and I get to go with. I don't know how many times I've posted on RGP that I'll be in an area on certain dates and I will always get an invite to join some friends at someone's house for a get together. Most of these guys have become good friends and we stay in touch.
    I guess what I'm saying is, if you don't want people to get to know you, that's cool. I have guys I've done numerous restorations for who read RGP constantly but never post. They have no interest and also don't care if people get to know them or not.
    But if you want to get out there and meet others and share in this great hobby, it's better done by letting us know who the hell you are.
    Bryan (CARGPB 14)
    http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins
    dung said:gweempose said:POSTED 20 MINUTES AGO | # QUOTE | !! |
    Bryan_Kelly said:
    What has always bothered me are people who don't give their real names. If you want personal, at least sign your posts with a first name or put that in your info section ... I know it's old school in this techno world today, but if anyone really wants me to get to know them, you better tell me who the hell you are.
    Bryan, I hear what you're saying, but you also have to realize that a lot of people are coming at it from a completely different angle. You have been involved with the hobby for a long time, and you are entrenched in the community. You also operate a pinball related business, so it puts you even more in the public eye. I agree that some people choose the anonymity simply so that they can act like assholes and not be held accountable for their actions, but it's understandable that a newbie might be reluctant to share their personal information until they feel more comfortable in the community.
    I would advise against it regardless of your intentions. The community is online and you don't know who you are dealing with. Once you start to learn about a particular person you can make that decision, but even then you don't know what you are getting into.
    Case in point I offered to help someone with a machine. Few messages went back and forth and the guy started making me uncomfortable. I have shown the messages to several people and they all say the same thing, stay away from him. So I stopped responding.
    Please note, no one was being a jerk and while the emails were on good terms, some of the things he talked about gave me a bad feeling. So much so that my fiancee literally said on no uncertain terms is the guy allowed to set foot in our apt.
    Fast forward a month later. I haven't heard from this guy in awhile and have forgotten all about it. He calls up another collector (actually a friend of mine) and starts saying how I am going to help. He tried to get this friend to come help when he comes to visit, yadda yada. Then everything goes quiet. After awhile I get a message saying he is finally going to bring his machine out and to be honest I tried to back out. Instead of backing off this total stranger has the gall to invite himself over to spend the night in my apartment on top of trying to get free help. When I told him no I got a very nasty email for my troubles. I wasn't making anything off this. I did my best to trouble shoot over pm's, but in the end got shit on because this guy has a screw loose.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Oh trust me, I've met a flake or two in this hobby, but they are maybe one in a hundred. On the other hand, I've met tons of great people and have made friends all over the States. I think part of it is because I actually post as ME. Not something like "dickwad 2000", although that may be fitting.
    My wife travels for work, now and then, and I get to go with. I don't know how many times I've posted on RGP that I'll be in an area on certain dates and I will always get an invite to join some friends at someone's house for a get together. Most of these guys have become good friends and we stay in touch.
    I guess what I'm saying is, if you don't want people to get to know you, that's cool. I have guys I've done numerous restorations for who read RGP constantly but never post. They have no interest and also don't care if people get to know them or not.
    Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Hey Bryan,
    I agree about names... But I have always been Butterflygirl24 on just about every group I am on, it is even my Ebay name...It is not that I am hiding my name, it has just always been my nickname on online groups that I am on.

But I always sign my name at the end of my post!!

Phoebe
    (CARGPB#38)

#54 12 years ago

Dung, 2 out of your 3 posts are using profanity. I feel it really detracts from your points. I have a son that likes to read here as well and I can see it makes him uncomfortable reading your posts with profanity in them. I understand this is an open forum but Robin has asked we think about everybody. Is there anyway you could tone it down? I think you will still get your point across?

Am I the only one that feels this way?

#55 12 years ago
    Quoted from Russo121:

I could go on and let everyone know that BVM and I have been trading 'words' via PM since i exposed him in this thread. Started off nasty...mid way gets nicer....ends up offering me a night out and a cup of tea..... But that would make me a snitch...wouldnt it? dammit, i hate snitches...oh well.....

Man im such a nice guy, it makes me want to puke......

I asked and got a pm as well. Just wondering. Nothing nasty from him.

#56 12 years ago
    Quoted from jonogo:

Russo121 said.s: I'd rather sh*t in my hands and clap than sign up for facebook. Its the devil and i'm highly religious....
    Man, this is comedy gold.

Couldn't agree more - just sprayed a mouthful of tea across the kitchen!

#57 12 years ago

My apologies. I'm new here and probably should have lurked a while before posting to get a better feel for how things are done.

Having said that, please do not let your son listen to my bits on the Spooky Pinball Podcasts.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Quoted from absocountry2:

Dung, 2 out of your 3 posts are using profanity. I feel it really detracts from your points. I have a son that likes to read here as well and I can see it makes him uncomfortable reading your posts with profanity in them. I understand this is an open forum but Robin has asked we think about everybody. Is there anyway you could tone it down? I think you will still get your point across?

#58 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

My apologies. I'm new here and probably should have lurked a while before posting to get a better feel for how things are done.
    Having said that, please do not let your son listen to my bits on the Spooky Pinball Podcasts.
    Bryan (CARGPB 14)
    absocountry2 said:Dung, 2 out of your 3 posts are using profanity. I feel it really detracts from your points. I have a son that likes to read here as well and I can see it makes him uncomfortable reading your posts with profanity in them. I understand this is an open forum but Robin has asked we think about everybody. Is there anyway you could tone it down? I think you will still get your point across?

Your "bits" make noise? Probably a prescription for that.

#59 12 years ago

Bryan I will let him listen. I feel that writing and speaking are different. I am able to leave profanity out of anything I write because I can delete adn it takes thought. If you meet me in person you would know that I cuss in person. Speaking is more of the cuff and hard to stop. I watched your coin door video and thought it was just fine. I suspect that if you were to type the directions to restore a door it would not be the same word for word.

Most people are very good, I just feel it has no place in writing. If something happens to me I do not want profane posts to be what my friends and family have to remember me by.

#60 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Or let him look at many of the threads on this forum involving pictures of women/breasts/butts/etc. Please keep him from looking at videos/pictures of the machines as he might stumble across south park, family guy, sopranos, playboy, etc.

I am not picking a fight here, but there are a number of things about pinball that are not appropriate for children. The majority of the themes are mostly harmless, but it has very much been a male dominated industry. As this is a male dominated forum there is quite a bit that young eyes probably shouldn't be exposed to (but will probably find on their own anyways).

Most people are very good, I just feel it has no place in writing. If something happens to me I do not want profane posts to be what my friends and family have to remember me by.

That is where you and I differ. I cuss in person, every collector I have met have said as much or worse. Personally the anti-semetic and racial slurs bother me, but if someone drops an f*bomb so be it. I am not going to sit here and pretend that there is a difference between the written and spoken word. There isn't, a person's vernacular provides a means for expression and I chose to express myself in that manner.

#61 12 years ago

Hey Bryan,

Thanks for the lead on the bacon Jam! Stuff was awesome! And for the record, dickwad 2000 is a great guy

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Bryan (CARGPB 14)

#62 12 years ago

Sorry I forgot.

Signed,
    Ryan in Elk Grove

Quoted from bluevegas:

Hey Bryan,
    Thanks for the lead on the bacon Jam! Stuff was awesome! And for the record, dickwad 2000 is a great guy
    Bryan_Kelly said:Oh trust me, I've met a flake or two in this hobby, but they are maybe one in a hundred. On the other hand, I've met tons of great people and have made friends all over the States. I think part of it is because I actually post as ME. Not something like "dickwad 2000", although that may be fitting.
    Bryan (CARGPB 14)

#63 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Or let him look at many of the threads on this forum involving pictures of women/breasts/butts/etc. Please keep him from looking at videos/pictures of the machines as he might stumble across South Park, Family Guy, sopranos, playboy, etc.

I am not picking a fight here, but there are a number of things about pinball that are not appropriate for children. The majority of the themes are mostly harmless, but it has very much been a male dominated industry. As this is a male dominated forum there is quite a bit that young eyes probably shouldn't be exposed to (but will probably find on their own anyways).

Those are things that cannot be avoided. If you cannot stop typing profanity, that is fine. I can work with that. Maybe use %#&^$*)& in the middle of the word like you did. I just trying to help out. Your point is well taken and you were able to do it without profanity.

I know what is out there and I do not try and shield my boys from it. I am just trying to do my part to keep things as civil as possible.

#64 12 years ago

I will occasionally use profanity to help get my point across. If you are trying to describe someone as an a**hole, there is no other word that will accurately convey your point (i.e. "jerk" just doesn't have the same effect). I do, however, generally insert a couple asterisks when I remember. As a moderator, I generally don't edit something unless it is particularly profane such as the F-word or C-word.

#65 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

F-word or C-word.

Ford and Chevy?

#66 12 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

I agree about names... But I have always been Butterflygirl24 on just about every group I am on, it is even my Ebay name...It is not that I am hiding my name, it has just always been my nickname on online groups that I am on.

Im with ya. Im way2wyrd just about everywhere

-Jeff

#67 12 years ago

I'd like to point out that although I find Forum as the major draw to tune in everyday
    the majority of the members here dont take part in posting in Forum.
    For what it's worth you along with myself are a Minority when thinking of the site as a whole

#68 12 years ago

Just so you know, I type about the same as I talk. Sadly, I blame it on working construction my whole life.

Take a listen to Charlie's December show, #22. I'm at about the 1:42:30 mark. It's one of my favorites.

http://www.spookypinball.com/podcast-2/

Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Bryan I will let him listen. I feel that writing and speaking are different. I am able to leave profanity out of anything I write because I can delete adn it takes thought. If you meet me in person you would know that I cuss in person. Speaking is more of the cuff and hard to stop. I watched your coin door video and thought it was just fine. I suspect that if you were to type the directions to restore a door it would not be the same word for word.

#69 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I will occasionally use profanity to get my point across. If you are trying to describe someone as an a**hole, there is no other word that will accurately convey your point (i.e. "jerk" just doesn't have the same effect). I do, however, generally insert a couple asterisks when I remember. As a moderator, I generally don't edit something unless it is particularly profane such as the F-word or C-word.

What is the point of editing it to have asterisks? In the end the only people who are not going to interpret its original meaning are the ones who cannot read the language to a proficient degree. It is all rather silly personally speaking. If this were a family friendly site the nsfw semi-nude threads would not be here.

#70 12 years ago

Every time I have tried to mark my location it never loads :/

#71 12 years ago

Just to get my worthless 2 cents in when no one asked; I'm 36 years old, and i swear quite a bit, and sometimes i do it in a post. If people feel it distracts from the post, that's up to them, I won't worry about it myself. I've never liked the idea of someone/website changing "profanity" into asstricks. Not because of any "censorship" crying that people do, it's because it's just stupid. It's just a word. If your kids have never seen a swear word printed, they have never been on the internet before.

#72 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

What is the point of editing it to have asterisks?

If my 8-year-old son or daughter happened to come across a page that I had up, and they saw a comment such as "Pingirl47 is a f*****g c**t, they would have no idea what it really meant.

#73 12 years ago
    Quoted from Skrippy:

Every time I have tried to mark my location it never loads :/

looks like your in business now!

#74 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Having said that, please do not let your son listen to my bits on the Spooky Pinball Podcasts. []

I love those. gold!

#75 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

dung said:
    What is the point of editing it to have asterisks?

If my 8-year-old son or daughter happened to come across a page that I had up, and they saw a comment such as "Pingirl47 is a f*****g c**t, they would have no idea what it really meant.

that is based on their level of reading comprehension and I know some 8 year olds who would have known what the words said, but not what they meant.

#76 12 years ago

Well I haven't filled everything in my profile because I wasn't sure if I was temporarily here or not. That and I can be spacey and lazy sometimes.

I've been Mr. 68 for so long that people actually call me Mr. 68 at the shows. And I like that by the way but either works. Jack Guarnieri (Jersey Jack) simply calls me 68 and I really like that.

My location I have no trouble listing. But my collection is always in flux and I don't desire another internet chore.

FYI: Bryan Kelly just crapped his pants finding that I'm here also. Welcome Newbie!!!

#77 12 years ago

This thread is a train wreck!

Funny story about TaylorVA .. When I first started hitting the pinball message boards/RGP I would always see his name (I think it was just written "Taylorva" at that time maybe)

This was right during the time when Tay Zonday was making the rounds, and I think that's why I started reading his name as "Tay Lorva" in my head. Since then an extensive investigation conducted by yours truly has revealed this is the incorrect pronunciation, but I still read it that way!

#78 12 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

This thread is a train wreck!
    Funny story about TaylorVA .. When I first started hitting the pinball message boards/RGP I would always see his name (I think it was just written "Taylorva" at that time maybe)
    This was right during the time when Tay Zonday was making the rounds

Chocolate Rain! hahaha awesome. Did you know he says he's from my neck of the woods (Minneapolis, MN).

-j

#79 12 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

This was right during the time when Tay Zonday was making the rounds, and I think that's why I started reading his name as "Tay Lorva" in my head. Since then an extensive investigation conducted by yours truly has revealed this is the incorrect pronunciation, but I still read it that way

What does this have to do with anything? plus adding chocolate rain??? i got a chuckle at least.

#80 12 years ago
    Quoted from islandpinball:

Hello fellow pinsiders. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that many of the newer pinsiders (past six months), do not put their locations or games in their collection?

That's not...entirely accurate . I know what you mean though; I have noticed this as well with people that joined about the time I did.

#81 12 years ago

Holy shite. If they let that 68 guy in here, they'll let anyone in here.

How they hangin, Mitchell? I'm looking forward to The Rocky Mountain Show, as always. I'll see you at the end of the month.

BTW Kim is one of those who shared Emails with me a few years ago and we seemed to hit things off. So much so, I flew to CO to meet him and stay at his place for the weekend. Not sure if he likes me or not, but he invites me back every year.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Quoted from Mr68:

Well I haven't filled everything in my profile because I wasn't sure if I was temporarily here or not. That and I can be spacey and lazy sometimes.
    I've been Mr. 68 for so long that people actually call me Mr. 68 at the shows. And I like that by the way but either works. Jack Guarnieri (Jersey Jack) simply calls me 68 and I really like that.
    My location I have no trouble listing. But my collection is always in flux and I don't desire another internet chore.
    FYI: Bryan Kelly just crapped his pants finding that I'm here also. Welcome Newbie!!!

#82 12 years ago

Bryan, look at my Karma rating compared to yours.... I could buy and sell you like a pack of cigarettes.

#83 12 years ago

Well, all I can say is, I've been here for like 2 days and have exchanged Emails with a guy here who lives in St. Paul. I'm a half hour away. He's stopping over to check out the shop on Saturday.

I've got my fingers crossed he's not some f'ing headcase.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Quoted from dung:

gweempose said:POSTED 20 MINUTES AGO | # QUOTE | !! |

I would advise against it regardless of your intentions. The community is online and you don't know who you are dealing with. Once you start to learn about a particular person you can make that decision, but even then you don't know what you are getting into.
    Case in point I offered to help someone with a machine. Few messages went back and forth and the guy started making me uncomfortable. I have shown the messages to several people and they all say the same thing, stay away from him. So I stopped responding.
    Please note, no one was being a jerk and while the emails were on good terms, some of the things he talked about gave me a bad feeling. So much so that my fiancee literally said on no uncertain terms is the guy allowed to set foot in our apt.
    Fast forward a month later. I haven't heard from this guy in awhile and have forgotten all about it. He calls up another collector (actually a friend of mine) and starts saying how I am going to help. He tried to get this friend to come help when he comes to visit, yadda yada. Then everything goes quiet. After awhile I get a message saying he is finally going to bring his machine out and to be honest I tried to back out. Instead of backing off this total stranger has the gall to invite himself over to spend the night in my apartment on top of trying to get free help. When I told him no I got a very nasty email for my troubles. I wasn't making anything off this. I did my best to trouble shoot over pm's, but in the end got shit on because this guy has a screw loose.

#84 12 years ago

Isn't Karma that girlfriend of yours I slept with last time I was at your place?

Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Quoted from Mr68:

Bryan, look at my Karma rating compared to yours.... I could buy and sell you like a pack of cigarettes.

#85 12 years ago

Bryan gets a jackpot from me!

#86 12 years ago

I actually came to the site for some help and ended up staying...
    I listed my collection and my location, I also use my real name when I pm, email, or call someone...
    I almost wish I had picked a diff handle... it feels weird having people call me APOLLO lol

#87 12 years ago

George always makes me laugh:

#88 12 years ago
    Quoted from APOLLO_13:

it feels weird having people call me APOLLO lol

But how do you like 13 ball multiball?

#89 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Well, all I can say is, I've been here for like 2 days and have exchanged Emails with a guy here who lives in St. Paul. I'm a half hour away. He's stopping over to check out the shop on Saturday.

hahaha hold on a sec.. I just spit out the water I was drinking!

Looking forward to meeting you on Sat!

-j

#90 12 years ago

I swear, Josh, you better be normal.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Quoted from jonogo:

Bryan_Kelly said:Well, all I can say is, I've been here for like 2 days and have exchanged Emails with a guy here who lives in St. Paul. I'm a half hour away. He's stopping over to check out the shop on Saturday.

hahaha hold on a sec.. I just spit out the water I was drinking!
    Looking forward to meeting you on Sat!
    -j

#91 12 years ago

I swear too! and I'm ANYTHING but normal.

But I'm alright still the same! You have nothing to fear.

-josh

#92 12 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Well if that's true, I guess YOUR new name would be "SixWaysTillSunday" Mr68...
    Man, this thread is hilarious.
    Good to have both of you aboard B_K + 68.

#93 12 years ago

Well, I'm new altogether. Trust me... I can't wait to put my first pin in my "collection"!

#94 12 years ago

Careful Josh, I heard the last few guys who payed a visit to Bryan left smelling like bacon jelly and walking funny

Quoted from jonogo:

I swear too! and I'm ANYTHING but normal.
    But I'm alright still the same! You have nothing to fear.
    -josh

#95 12 years ago

rub the lotion on it's skin

#96 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Mr68 said:Bryan, look at my Karma rating compared to yours.... I could buy and sell you like a pack of cigarettes.
    Well if that's true, I guess YOUR new name would be "SixWaysTillSunday" Mr68...
    Man, this thread is hilarious.
    Good to have both of you aboard BK + 68.

Thanks NimblePin. High praise from one of the funnest guys I've ever had the pleasure to read. And I always look forward to your selection of scantly clad women.

#97 12 years ago

this is one f*n funny thread.
    BK is a pisser!

#98 12 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

And I always look forward to your selection of scantly clad women.

Unfortunately, this is a different (bigger) Pinside now; I have to mind my "T's & A's"...
    Thanks though for the kind words 68, Easter IS coming up...

#99 12 years ago

Happy Easter

Elvira_001.jpgElvira_001.jpg

#100 12 years ago

I like the mystery part of bulletin boards. Internet bulletin boards are short attention span theater. Get in, get out. I don't have time to find out who owns what or where they live. You learn about people snippets at a time, which is just how it should be. If I meet you at a show and we're sitting next to each other at the bar drinking a beer, sure, tell me your life story. It makes it much more interesting when I can see your face. On the internet, please keep it short and don't overwhelm me with things I don't really care to know about.

In the future, I may add an avatar here, but I'll never list the games I own. Technically, I really don't consider myself an owner of any game. I'm just it's temporary keeper. Pins were meant to be on location. A business can 'own' a game, a person can't. Crazy notion, but that's how I feel about it.

Using anonymous handles on the internet has a long history. I like them. Looking at the replies to this thread, I could've chose to reply to Rascal, Jogo, Dark, Abs, Dung or BFG24. How can you not like that? For the record, my name is Mike, I live in silicon valley and I'm currently the keeper of about 8 pins. That's your (big) snippet for the day.

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-else-noticed-this-on-pinside-lately/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.