WOZArtFlakedOff2.png
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0818.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG
WOZ_Wear.jpg
There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

I originally had a chip pop off the throne room area about the size of a pinky nail. Just now I was playing the game and a chip bigger than a nickel popped off the insert in front of the drop target. I don't have 100 plays on this game and all my settings are factory. Now, in Jacks defense, he did give me a PF when I asked to buy one from him but this is a problem. I do understand that it is a pinball machine with a steel ball bouncing around but this shouldn't be happening and surely not this early. I know you guys will not see this as I do, you never do, but this makes me glad I got out of the Hobbit. I hope he addresses this problem before PL's game because I really want to buy it but not if this problem continues. Has this happened to anyone else or am I the lucky one and can I have this other PF cleared again to help prevent this from happening with it.

#2 9 years ago

Sounds like a prep problem when the PF was made. He should actually swap you for a populated PF.

#3 9 years ago

He should but he wont. This actually makes my $7500 WoZ worthless. Im going to play the shit out of it and see how much paint I can get to chip off.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

He should but he wont. This actually makes my $7500 WoZ worthless. Im going to play the shit out of it and see how much paint I can get to chip off.

Have you checked with him? If he won't, then we know how good is support is. I know one local guy that had an issue with his Transformers cabinet right out the box and Stern sent him a new cab!

His pins are outside of my comfort zone, but I would think others considering a purchase would care to learn about his support when there are problems.

Hope it works out for you.

#5 9 years ago

He has already sent me a PF I cant ask him for a populated PF now. If this happened to me and I remember it happening to someone else it is sure to happen to others. Jack needs to do something about this. Im going to send him a email about it.

#6 9 years ago

The one at the Black Cat in DC (formerly at Town Hall) had a pretty big paint section chipped off, near the left outlane. Must be a production issue.

#7 9 years ago

I just emailed him saying that I wasn't asking for anything that I just wanted to inform him. Ill let you know if he replies.

#8 9 years ago

Send back the blank playfield and ask for a populated one.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Send back the blank playfield and ask for a populated one.

Its not like you are asking for anything special just for a game that is not defective. That PF would drive me crazy knowing that paint could just chip off. Tell him you will drop off the both PFs and his warrantee dept can do the swap.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

This actually makes my $7500 WoZ worthless.

I'd give you a few bucks for it even with the playfield wear.

#11 9 years ago

What recourse do I have if he chooses not to give me one? If I sent it back ha could say no to a populated PF and refuse to send the blank one back. I don't think he would agree to give me one after he gave me the blank one. Of course this might hurt his business when it got back to Pinside but he might not care. I have to admit that my I was a little sick when I saw that big piece of paint fly across the game even with the new PF in the corner.

#12 9 years ago

At this point I want people to know about it and for Jack to do something about it on future pins. I want PL's pin with a passion but I done want to pa 8K for it and have the paint chip off of it.

#13 9 years ago

I understand what you are saying. I don't think he will do a swap for you either but thought it was a suggestion and perhaps a question to ask him. Its like if your cars paint started falling off and the factory just sent you a couple gallons of paint and said there you go.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

What recourse do I have if he chooses not to give me one? If I sent it back ha could say no to a populated PF and refuse to send the blank one back.

BEFORE you send the blank one back, ask Jack if he is going to take care of you on your problem.

If he says yes, let him send you the populated playfield and then return him your bad playfield & the blank playfield in the same box.

If he says no, get your blank playfield clearcoated by a pro, then do your playfield swap - the game will look and play like a million bucks!

#15 9 years ago

Did he send you the blank playfield because that was what you agreed to as a "fix" for this? If so I think the issue is over. I'm very (very!) sure they are aware that some WOZ games had clearcoat issues. It stinks that it is a lot of time and effort to swap out a playfield, but I think sending a populated one is unrealistic (thousands of dollars). I'm also confident that Pat's game (Hi Pat!) wont have those issues.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I think sending a populated one is unrealistic (thousands of dollars)

More like $700, but it's a headache either way

#17 9 years ago

I have to say as an avid JJP supporter and fan that if you've had the machine for less than a year, this should be covered under warranty and it shouldn't be incumbent upon the consumer to do a ridiculously tedious playfield swap. They sent a tech out to swap all my light boards, they should get you a playfield that works, and not just the blank one. Expensive machines should come with some guarantees of satisfaction.

I'm in on the Hobbit, though, because I think they've worked out most of their bugs at this point.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

More like $700, but it's a headache either way

More of a headache is what this guy's going through.

#19 9 years ago

Can you post some pics so we can all see? Is it possible the clear coat is to thick and hard?

#20 9 years ago

Curious as Ive NEVER tried this, but how long does it take to swap over a playfield?

Im embarrassed to say Ive spent an HOUR removing and replacingh just one finicky item from a PF- I cant imagine the labor for a full PF...

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I cant imagine the labor for a full PF...

Most techs charge $1000 for a complicated PF swap.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

Can you post some pics so we can all see? Is it possible the clear coat is to thick and hard?

Would love to see the pics of this issue.

#23 9 years ago

I've got about a thousand plays on mine at home, no issues whatsoever with the playfield.

#24 9 years ago

No issues on mine for just over a year now. Just contact JJP and ask for some help and I am sure that you will get it. Clearly there is a problem with your PF. Doing a full swap is a lot of work and not something you should need to do. Let us know what happens!

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Most techs charge $1000 for a complicated PF swap.

If I were to do one for a 'customer' I know I would charge at least that much for something like WOZ, TZ or the like.

#26 9 years ago

Did a good wax job on mine last week and inspection - 1 year on exactly - no problems.

#27 9 years ago

Ill get some pics tonight. I’m not taking the Cliffy off the wizard hole though. It was a bitch to get on there. I’m afraid it wont look very impressive in a pic though. And yes, he asked me what I wanted him to do and I said I wanted a new PF and the least he could do is send me one at cost. He just sent me one. Im out of the Hobbit and Im pretty sure Ill save my cash and wait till PLs game is out before I buy unless things change. I was thinking I could put that money on TBL and then I turn around and see that that is a no go.

#28 9 years ago

Maybe you could put a good clearcoat on the PF that Jack sent you, then send your damaged populated PF + the newly clearcoated PF back to Jack and let him do the swap on his assembly line.

He could do it 100x faster than you could, and update any flaky lighting boards at the same time.

Worth the phone call for sure.

And the clearcoated playfield would be protected from pop bumper wear like this WOZ:

WOZ_Wear.jpgWOZ_Wear.jpg

#29 9 years ago

A replacement populated playfield is not unheard of, stern has done this for me and other people I know. Just swap them out and send back the bad one, not a huge deal and it's the right thing to do on a defective $8000 game. Swapping a blank playfield on a brand new game? Screw a bunch of that!

#30 9 years ago

I've had similar problems. The throne room area and the castle VUK. Pieces of clear are cracking and falling off. I haven't seen any insert problems though. The cracking started soon after I received my game. I'm mostly happy with my game so it's really not a big deal to me. No I am not calling Jack so I can get a playfield to hang on the wall. I'm not pulling out my playfield to be replaced either. It's a pinball machine and shit happens.

#31 9 years ago

I've seen several pics were the art and clear have chipped off in the castle VUk area. Really sucks to see so much wear on such a new game.

#32 9 years ago

Your OK with dime sized chunks of ink chipping off and leaving bare wood? Im not talking about the clear coming off inside of the hole, shit that happened a long time ago. Im tallking about artwork chipping off the pf leaving bare wood. It will only get worse and it should be taken care of. I paid $7500 for this game and this shit should never happen much less in so short a time. Wear yes, ink or paint chipping off no. A new PF is the least he can do and If I choose to install it or hang it on the wall is my choice. At this point why would I install it and have it happen to a second one.

#33 9 years ago

Just trying to understand what has happened so far, let's see if I have this straight:

1. Paint chips off of your playfield the near the throne room.
2. You ask Jack if you can buy a new playfield but instead he sends you one free of charge.
3. More paint chips off.
4. You decide that you want a replacement populated playfield instead.
5. You start this thread.
6. You contact Jack again and say that more paint has chipped off.

As of yet you have not asked him if he will provide you with a replacement populated playfield.

Is this the correct sequence of events?

#34 9 years ago

Nope, I never asked him for a populated PF and I never decided I wanted one. That was someone elses sugestion. When the paint came off around the throne room I asked if i could buy another PF at cost. He sent me one for free. Today a big chunk came off in front of the drop target. I started this thread to see if anyone else has had this problem and I did email him and tell him about what happened today but I never asked him for anything. Why, because people need to know and I hope this issue is dealt with before game #3 comes out and it happens on that one

#35 9 years ago

When was your game manufactured?

Not the first time I've heard about paint chipping in front of the drop target.

#36 9 years ago

Why wouldn't you ask Jack for a populated playfield swap? Right now your game has lost big time value. Thank Jack for the free playfield but let him know a better solution would be a complete swap and work it out. Show him the pics your concerns and ongoing issues. It's worth a talk. If he won't, install your new pf at some point in time especially if you plan on selling. You would then be able to get market value back for your game. Good luck!!!

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Nope, I never asked him for a populated PF and I never decided I wanted one. That was someone elses sugestion. When the paint came off around the throne room I asked if i could buy another PF at cost. He sent me one for free. Today a big chunk came off in front of the drop target. I started this thread to see if anyone else has had this problem and I did email him and tell him about what happened today but I never asked him for anything. Why, because people need to know and I hope this issue is dealt with before game #3 comes out and it happens on that one

OK, thanks, just wasn't clear on what you were wanting.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

When was your game manufactured?

+1

#39 9 years ago

Is there a way to find out the manufacture date without pulling the heavy pig away from the wall?

#40 9 years ago

Playfield may be marked on edge.

#41 9 years ago

Look at the sticker on the inside of the cabinet next to the tilt mech.

#42 9 years ago

10/22/13

#43 9 years ago

You should be doing this all with Jack not here. Now if Jack says sorry I won't support your game then come back tell us your experience. I just see how it's helpful to ask pinside what to do prior to ask I g manufactor

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I originally had a chip pop off the throne room area about the size of a pinky nail. Just now I was playing the game and a chip bigger than a nickel popped off the insert in front of the drop target. I don't have 100 plays on this game and all my settings are factory. Now, in Jacks defense, he did give me a PF when I asked to buy one from him but this is a problem. I do understand that it is a pinball machine with a steel ball bouncing around but this shouldn't be happening and surely not this early. I know you guys will not see this as I do, you never do, but this makes me glad I got out of the Hobbit. I hope he addresses this problem before PL's game because I really want to buy it but not if this problem continues. Has this happened to anyone else or am I the lucky one and can I have this other PF cleared again to help prevent this from happening with it.

For documentations sake do you feel like sharing pictures of these two areas? I have the feeling a picture will be worth ten thousand words in terms of shocking people one way or the other (a nickel sized spot sounds heinous!).

#45 9 years ago

Here are some of the drop target. I don't want to remove the Cliffy protector to take pics on the throneroom. Ill add a pic of my ugly ass with the meanest dog on the planet. As you can see it isn't a large chip but it is artwork chipping off leaving bare wood. It should not happen and it will only get worse. I plan on playing the shit out of this game to see how much I can get to chip off. I will have the extra PF re cleared and mylar over the vulnerable spots to hopefully prevent it happening again

IMG_0814.JPGIMG_0814.JPG IMG_0815.JPGIMG_0815.JPGIMG_0814.JPGIMG_0814.JPGIMG_0815.JPGIMG_0815.JPGIMG_0816.JPGIMG_0816.JPGIMG_0817.JPGIMG_0817.JPGIMG_0818.JPGIMG_0818.JPGIMG_0819.JPGIMG_0819.JPG

#46 9 years ago

My god I need to get back to the gym. That is what happens when you quit for 6 months. You get FAT

#47 9 years ago

Whoa, have had nothing more than a passing glance at a WOZ but that doesn't look good.

#48 9 years ago

Thank you for sharing the pics! Hopefully that is the extent of the damage, but that still pretty shocking for a HOU game. I am going to have a closer look at a routed WoZ the next time I see one... it will be interesting to see how this area and the pop bumper areas are holding up.

#49 9 years ago

Yep, I would not be happy about paint chipping. Sorry to hear that. Is the spot in front of the DT the only paint chip?

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

My god I need to get back to the gym. That is what happens when you quit for 6 months. You get FAT

Dude, thats not 6months…..Do you drink a lot? I used to hammer beers down but I switched to vodka/low cal OJ. Helped a lot. Late night eating is the killer as well.

I lost a good 30+LBS this past summer just changing up my eating/drinking habits.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-else-had-problems-with-the-pain-chipping-off-their-woz-pf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.