4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by swampfire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I have a small collection. And because of changes in my life in the last year or so I have no money to invest in the hobby. So if I'm making a change in my collection it's a straight up trade. Problem I'm having is I'm just not enjoying playing lately. To the point I'm frustrated playing and get out right angry over most games. I feel like I'm playing like crap and my games are pissing me off to the point I don't want to play them anymore. There's nothing available in my area that isn't above my budget and games that should be in my range are grossly overpriced. I can honestly say any and all of my games are on the market for a trade. I don't want to get out of the hobby but I'm starved for a change.

Does anyone else hate my their Genie as much as I do? It's a good game and mine is in wicked shape but I find it to be soo frustrating. So many house balls in that game.

#2 4 years ago

I think the games are not the issue... I would try to find some local pinball players and have some get togethers. It really does make a difference when you share your games and play against other people. I bet others would be willing to do the same in your area. It really gives your games a new purpose when you are competing!

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

#3 4 years ago

Agree with Rob Bell.
    Also, within that same group of people you could loan games to one another. Drop off your Genie to a friend that has a game you'd like to try.

#4 4 years ago

genie is a hard game to love for game play.
    great art
    but some of those widebody pins never got
    best use of real estate available

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

genie is a hard game to love for game play.
    great art
    but some of those widebody pins never got
    best use of real estate available

What I find killer is the rubber beside the flipper on the right in-lane. That is the dirtiest 3 inches of rubber in pinball history and I don't mean it's cleanliness. It mean virtually any ball on the right flipper is completely unpredictable and cradling the ball is nearly impossible. It's frustrated but to be honest I'm not sure why more pins didn't have that. It's a challenge to deal with.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBellMan:

I think the games are not the issue... I would try to find some local pinball players and have some get togethers. It really does make a difference when you share your games and play against other people. I bet others would be willing to do the same in your area. It really gives your games a new purpose when you are competing!
    Hope that helps! Good luck!
    Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

I had thought of that. My wife hates pinball, my kids could take it or leave it so 99% of the time it's just me playing. I host people but not as much as I'd like to. There isn't many other true players where I live. Only know 1 other guy in town with pins.

#7 4 years ago

Take 2 weeks off.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pauz21:

There isn't many other true players where I live. Only know 1 other guy in town with pins.

Post an ad to recruit members or start a club. You may not be alone.

#9 4 years ago

What Mr. 68 & Trekkie said,

Done this many times - trade (temporarily ;-}) 1 or 2 of your Games with someone close by that you know and/or trust & take some time off.

We all get Pin "Burn-Out" from time to time !

Playing some different Games or simply taking a break usually fixes it for me.

Kim

#10 4 years ago

it's an emotional thing. it'll pass.

-jon

#11 4 years ago

My wife calls my Genie my "fat girlfren." Get it? She's a wide body. I love her. It's a workout nudging her, but you can make her bend to your will... Pascal Board? extra strength coils on flippers and pops? nice and high in the back?

It's usually the left drain that is my nemesis.

Anyway... you got a nice little collection there daddio. Take a break, or as somebody above said, do a swap with the other guy who has machines, or find some machines on route and realize how good you have it...

#12 4 years ago

I would also suggest to just step away for a while. I recently took a 6 month break where I just didn't play pinball much at all. Was seriously thinking I didn't really like Pinball much anymore, but knew it was just a phase. The games aren't going anywhere, and there will come a day when you'll encounter someone that sees you have pins and want's to play. It will spark your interest again, and you'll be drawn back to why you like pinball. You'll love it again, and your games will seem new again! I know I've just came out of the same kind of funk, only to find a few new friends that are falling all over my games, and making it fun again. Relax and let it come back around to be fun again. It's a natural cycle of any hobby to have peaks and valleys, like anything else, but Pinball is cool and worth keeping in your life! It is a lot of fun if you just relax and enjoy all of it's facets as they reveal themselves... Sometimes it's competition, sometimes it's nostalgia, sometimes it's Americana and sometimes they are just works of art. Pinball is timeless but we all need a break from time to time for other things so we can appreciate Pinball all the more!!!

Tom

#13 4 years ago

To balance out Genie, just get on your Star Wars and keep hitting that right ramp over and over, that should take care of it

#14 4 years ago

I'm just coming out of a 8 month funk myself. That's tipical for me also, hot and heavy then ice cold. My longest off period was about three years. Sometimes the hobby has to take a back seat to life. But it is nice to know, when you are ready, the enjoyment will always be there. Just do yourself a favor....remove your batteries if your out for a bit.

#15 4 years ago

Game complexity for me makes a huge difference, along with having games that give me a wide array of things to shoot for. When I was doing worse off a little ways back and had to sell my modern Sterns (all of my pins), a couple of friends loaned me some early solid states to tide me over (one being a 3/4 working Genie). I barely played them and got into a "funk" myself. Now that I have some modern DMD titles again I feel a lot better and play my games much more frequently. EM and SS games are fun, but they can be extremely frustrating (frequent house balls). Game times are very short as well so they become boring to me faster and I lose interest. That could be what's happening with you, or not. Maybe take a break for a little while, or seek out some trade opportunities. I know it might be difficult with where you are, but keep looking.

#16 4 years ago

You might try black rubbers on the flippers. They tend to be less bouncy and more controllable. Or you could try superbands. It's amazing how much this can change the game play.

I had to play a Genie in league and tournament play with a powerball once. It was... brief.

#17 4 years ago

"To the point I'm frustrated playing and get out right angry over most games". Shit. Come over and play LOTR. That game pisses me off to no end. I've had fun playing it in bars but in my house I am beyond disappointed honestly (and I love the theme, saw all the movies). Perhaps a different game is in order. I understand the cost thing getting in the way, prices are going up again. Until the US creates another global economic meltdown (bring the prices down again), hitting the ramp in Star Wars sounds like the best idea for now. Or better yet play with some friends

#18 4 years ago

Make temporary swaps (your genie against his _____) for a fixed amount of time.
    Organize parties - 4 pins are enough to have fun with 10-12 people. Even if you don't like tourneys, organize a challenge "Best score on Genie tonights wins this bottle!"
    And finally... enjoy the summer. Winter is coming.

#19 4 years ago

Definatly agree on trying to find a local league to share the hobby with, even if its a little out the way its worth finding people with a common interest , and you will be in the know of up coming events. Pinball clubs are always looking for new players and you can make some new friends...maybe contact other pinside members in Canada through the forum and see if they can give you any leads on where thee meets are..

#20 4 years ago

Great thing is that you have choices:
    1) take the summer off. Put a sheet over them and enjoy the Canadian summer
    2) Sell 1 or 2 and get a pin your just dieing for. In the last year I picked up LOTR LE and TZ. I bought these having faith with the pinball community here (and everywhere really) ranking them as top games, "grail pins" and they are! Im on here all the time and there is a ton of chat on them, modding, playing strategy, etc.
    3) invite some buddies over have some beers and just play for the fun, no competition, I believe we are all pretty lucky to have the disposable income for pins!

#21 4 years ago

I see your problem: the nearest place to play on location is 250km away (2.5 hours drive), and there's just one other Pinsider in your town. That's a tough situation, but there's one guy in our league who does a similar commute every month. I'd suggest checking out this league: http://www.sapp.ca/home/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 14.95
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 131.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 19.99
    $ 72.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 279.95
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside