(Topic ID: 154280)

Has anyone clear coated a CPR repo playfield?

By Kingpin22

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by pinster68
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1060171_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_6388_(resized).JPG
IMG_6304_(resized).JPG
IMG_6302_(resized).JPG
IMG_6301_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 8 years ago

My god people, it's "repro" not "repo"!

I don't understand why anybody would re-clear a CPR playfield. You can "perfect it" yourself following the instructions on CPR's site. The equipment and supplies more than pay for themselves. And why would you add more clear for a game that will be HUO? Wax it once a year, done.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

Lol, thanks for the input. I had my Kiss clear coated by Ron and I' m spoiled. I just was checking to see how the CPR playfields turn out after clear coating before sending it off. Ron says that's about 60 % of his volume.

The last 2 playfields I got from CPR were great. I know that it took them some time to get to this level of quality, but I'm thrilled with Whirlwind and Medusa.

IMG_6301_(resized).JPGIMG_6301_(resized).JPG

IMG_6302_(resized).JPGIMG_6302_(resized).JPG

IMG_6304_(resized).JPGIMG_6304_(resized).JPG

IMG_6388_(resized).JPGIMG_6388_(resized).JPG

#17 8 years ago

Medusa, straight out of the box - I have not buffed it out yet.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from helicopter:

CPR playfields will dimple like crazy with just a few hundred games. A Kruzman CC on a CPR pf will have minimal dimpling if any.

I don't believe you. There's no such thing as a playfield that doesn't dimple. I had Chad Keller clearcoat a CSI for me, and after a few hundred plays it was dimpled as much as any of my games. This is physics: steel ball vs. flexible coating on wood. It's been discussed multiple times on Pinside.

If you're really worried about dimpling, spend $100-150 on a playfield protector (IMO). Much more effective against dimples than more clearcoat.

#21 8 years ago

Why not buy them uncleared? Serious question. I thought CPR had that option at one point.

#24 8 years ago

I'm neither a hater or a fan, Ron. I'm just saying that CPR's clearcoat is more than adequate for me. I don't need my playfield to look like a sheet of glass; that doesn't make me a bad person.

Saying that I don't understand the value proposition is not "bad mouthing". It's not even really criticism; I honestly don't understand.

If someone can post pics of a playfield with 1000 or more real plays on it and no dimples, I'll reconsider my opinion on steel balls and clearcoat.

#27 8 years ago

I suspect there are more RK playfields hanging on walls than installed in games. I respect that too - some of these playfields really are works of art (especially early Bally). If I had a perfect piece of art, the last thing I'd do is put it in a game.

#28 8 years ago

I don't want to sound negative. I have PDI glass on most of my games, and plenty of people would say that's a waste of money (I disagree). So, I definitely respect that RK can make a playfield look fantastic. The pictures alone show this. But I'm still skeptical (if that's allowed) that there's a difference in long-term wear. My perceptions about playfield dimpling come from Vid's excellent thread. His post here sums it up much better than I can:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-dimple-reality-check/page/2#post-1630082

If there's a way to use auto CC that doesn't dimple with regular use, I think that's something we'd all like to know about. My gut feeling is that if you played 1,000 games on both a CPR and RK-enhanced playfield, they'd look pretty much alike.

#33 8 years ago

Has anyone put 500 or 1000 plays on a high-end restored playfield? I'd love to see pics. What is it that prevents dimpling? Better quality CC, longer cure times for individual coats, or more coats? Or all of the above?

#37 8 years ago

But do these playfields get played on?

#39 8 years ago

I'm actually thinking of taking the shine down on my Medusa playfield, to make it look a little more original.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-clear-coated-a-cor-repo-playfield?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.