(Topic ID: 113244)

Has anyone been killed by a pinball machine?

By dluth

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gtown
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

006.JPG
    005.JPG
    004.JPG
    007.JPG
    335931-i.jpg
    th-943.jpeg

#1 5 years ago

Just wondering - there are so many warnings about dangerous voltage etc inside the machines - has anyone actually been killed before? Plenty I know who have been given a decent zap, but haven't heard of anyone being sent to the big pinball in the sky.
    I guess there are other ways of death by pinball - having a widebody falling on you as you bring it down stairs (almost me); killing yourself after another fruitless game of Iron Man (me again); your wife trying to kill you after you secretly buy another machine (uh-huh) - but I'm mainly interested in electrocution here.

#2 5 years ago

I remember that a guy got killed ON a pinball in The Purge...

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from dluth:

has anyone actually been killed before?

I was.

LTG : )™

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I was.

Details

#6 5 years ago

Interesting factoid:

In a case studied in 1965, a 17-year-old student named Randy Gardner re-mained awake for 11 days
    and nights, setting a record for uninterrupted sleep-lessness. "He had difficulty focusing his eyes by the
    second day," reported La-Verne Johnson, chief scientist at the Navy Medical Neuropsychiatric Research
    Unit in San Diego, "noted marked nausea on the third and memory lapses on the fourth day. That night he
    imagined he was a great football player Intermittent slurred speech was evident on the seventh day, and
    by the ninth day the subject occasionally thought in fragments and did not finish sentences." Yet even in
    the final hours of his ordeal, Gardner was able to play more than 100 games of pinball against fully rested
    observers and hold his own.

#7 5 years ago

I saw a kid grab a strength tester one time, and It shocked him and knocked him back a few feet! I saw, heard, and smelled it!!!

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Interesting factoid:

The guy stayed awake for 11 days straight.
    Of COURSE pinball was involved.
    I was shocked that the word "NIB" wasn't in the story.

#9 5 years ago

I'll be killed by the next pinball machine I buy. To quote my wife: "If you buy one more pinball machine, I will fucking kill you." So yeah...the next one I get will be the one that kills me.

#10 5 years ago

Not killed or electrocuted, but the thought did flash thru my mind for a second.
    A long time ago I went to a Playfield Renovations xmas party. I made a trade with Chad Keller which involved me taking home a Gottlieb Black Hole.
    It was winter - we had maybe 8 inches of snow on the ground, but the night before we had freezing rain so there was a nice thick layer of ice that you could walk on without sinking.
    Being like most pinheads, I want to get my game down to the shop and set it up ASAP. It's dark and late, but I figure "why not?".
    Now I'm a big dude and up until about I was 1/2 way around the house all was going great. I was pulling the machine on a 2 wheeler. It was slipping and sliding, but it was going ok.
    But... Of course in 1 step, my foot broke thru the ice and snow, I lost my balance and the 2 wheeler and the damn widebody pinball falls on top of me. I'm laying flat on my back with a Black Hole squishing me. It took some time and effort but finally got it off me and after falling several more times [you seem to lose your balance the more tired you get] I got the damn thing around the house and in the shop.
    Nope - didn't set it up until the next day and was sore for several days after.
    So I didn't die, but the thought did briefly go thru my head as the machine was landing on my chest - that and "damn this fu$*ers heavy!".

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'll be killed by the next pinball machine I buy. To quote my wife: "If you buy one more pinball machine, I will fucking kill you." So yeah...the next one I get will be the one that kills me.

That's what my wife said when I had 5 games. Now I have 10.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Can I have LOTR if you die?!

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I was.

Were you working on Back to the Future at the time?

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I got better.

th-943.jpeg

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

That's what my wife said when I had 5 games. Now I have 10.

Great story.
    Who's she living with now?
    : )

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Don't let her scare you! I think a lot of pin heads have heard this at one time and most of us are still here and with more pins. I used to have to store new ones at my shop until I could break the news to her but that was to much work so now they go in the garage and she's used to it.

#17 5 years ago

At least one kicks my ass almost every night. I'm just waiting for the hoard to kill me... there is no defense.... except practice.

#18 5 years ago

South Park killed me with its hilarious callouts.

...FOR 15 SECONDS

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Det_Deckard:

South Park killed me with its hilarious callouts.
    ...FOR 15 SECONDS

I wanted to kill someone after playing a few games of SP.

#20 5 years ago

People have been killed by vending machines. Those large pop machines are heavy, and people have not done well trying to tip them, to shake out product.

#21 5 years ago

You gotta be pretty darn dumb to die from a pinball machine. Your tomb stone must suck,too.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from JujuDaPinsider:

You gotta be pretty darn dumb to die from a pinball machine. Your tomb stone must suck,too.

Well there is a lot of voltage running under the playfield.

#23 5 years ago

I had a playfield fall on me while I was leaning inside and the supporting bar gave out. I was cut pretty bad and stunned for a while.
    The biggest struggle was getting the playfield off of me while trying not to damage it any more. I am not super strong, and that took about 10 minutes to do.
    Still managed to eventually fix the machine and get it out of my basement.

#24 5 years ago

Worst for me so far was touching the high voltage transistor on a early electronic Bally driver board. Thought I was going to have a cardiac arrest! There is a reason why they installed a plastic cover. But most are missing, so try not to experience this!

#25 5 years ago

AMH almost killed me.

#26 5 years ago

ha, some funny stories in this thread. I once dropped a long handled screwdriver while I was working in the back box. It fell down the hole in the head and right onto the transformer below. (the pin was on) I grabbed it without thinking and got a hell of a shock. Thought I was having a heart attack as my chest hurt like hell. After sitting down for a while I had to stop fixing pins that day and go home to bed.
    Another time I stripped a wire with my teeth from a flipper coil while the machine was on. I thought my tongue had been cut off! Damn that hurt. Never did that again...

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hyperball91:

ha, some funny stories in this thread. I once dropped a long handled screwdriver while I was working in the back box. It fell down the hole in the head and right onto the transformer below. (the pin was on) I grabbed it without thinking and got a hell of a shock. Thought I was having a heart attack as my chest hurt like hell. After sitting down for a while I had to stop fixing pins that day and go home to bed.
    Another time I stripped a wire with my teeth from a flipper coil while the machine was on. I thought my tongue had been cut off! Damn that hurt. Never did that again...

Thinning the herd... almost

#28 5 years ago

A friend nearly got killed by an EM backbox - he tripped carrying it down a long steep stairwell and the backbox came down on top of him and broke his hip.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

AMH almost killed me.

I thought it had....

#30 5 years ago

I heard a story that one of the major manufactures (like Gottlieb) owners, had come home to a daughter that was severely cut up by climbing on top of the machine and the glass broke. This was prior to tempered glass. They started using tempered glass that event.

I couldn't find any internet link to the story - so my story might be half-baked.

#31 5 years ago

I've had the "EM Tingle" many times. Gotta adjust things with the power on to fine-tune them!

#32 5 years ago

At band camp.......

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I got better.
    LTG : )

So did it.
    335931-i.jpg

#34 5 years ago

I didn't get killed by a pinball machine, but wanted to kill a pinball machine! My LOTR at one point was having problem after problem after problem. I wanted to take a chainsaw after it at one point! But of course I didnt...because it's LOTR...

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I got better.

VERY Pythonesque that
    "bring out ya dead"
    "i'm not dead yet"
    "i think i'm getting better"
    "might even go for a walk"

#36 5 years ago

The thought of stripping a wire with my teeth actually makes my teeth hurt. It would have nevr crossed my mind to do that even if the game was unplugged. Ouch

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mancave:

VERY Pythonesque that

"She turned me into a newt"

#38 5 years ago

somewhere along the line, someone no doubt dropped one on themselves and got smooshed...

#39 5 years ago

The thought of one of my Pins legs going out when I need to crawl under them always cross's my mind when I first get my neck under lol

Kind of like a final destination way of going out

#40 5 years ago

007.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG
    #41 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

The thought of stripping a wire with my teeth actually makes my teeth hurt. It would have nevr crossed my mind to do that even if the game was unplugged. Ouch

I use my teeth as tools, including wire strippers, way too frequently. I've broken more than one tooth trying to bite something.

#42 5 years ago

Pinball can be dangerous!!!

#43 5 years ago

In fact, people die every day from pinball gaming machines and related injuries. When agitated they release a dangerous neurotoxin which attacks the central nervous system causing intense pain, profuse sweating, difficulty in breathing, loss of consciousness, violent convulsions And, finally... Death.

It's tasteless, odorless and gluten free which is why it's known as the silent killer. You'll never hear about it and NEVER see it coming!

Merry Christmas

#44 5 years ago

I died once from someone pinning my balls.

Then some cheeseburger came and i ran out with nazis and gat kelled by egyptans and Iran and tryed to get awae

Tl;dr: Hi

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kineticross:

I died once from someone pinning my balls.
    Then some cheeseburger came and i ran out with nazis and gat kelled by egyptans and Iran and tryed to get awae
    Tl;dr: Hi

You might want to cut back on the egg nog, bro.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

You might want to cut back on the egg nog, bro.

I don't drink egg nog, I get drunk on Shasta

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

AMH almost killed me.

The ghost of a dead pinball designer appears.
    He wants you to help finish his code.
    Hit the left orbit 3 times to write, test and release the final version so he can rest in peace.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 12.50
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 53.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside