(Topic ID: 216784)

Has anybody removed next gen style cabinet decals?

By mmr61184

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mmr61184
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EF1546EB-28A5-4EF8-B92B-501BA82AEB0F (resized).jpeg
    A53C1A00-3DBC-4159-AE3F-4116EE300DDE (resized).jpeg
    E3578031-3785-411B-8D7F-D1D0A592E1BF (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

Trying to see what I am getting myself into. I am about to remove cabinet decals I put on a little over a year ago to replace them with better ones. The cabinet was perfect when I did it. Trying to assess what kind of prep work I will have to do and hopefully won’t damage the freshly painted surfaces

#2 5 years ago

Removing the decals is not the hard part. Getting all the glue off the cabinet is the tough part. If you use a hair dryer when you start to pell the decal it will make the job much easier. To get the glue off I used Denatured alcohol and a scraper. There are other products but I couldn’t find anything that was any better. Make sure you use gloves and a well ventilated area!
    I did a MB some years ago. Not ready to do another any time soon! Good luck!

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Removing the decals is not the hard part. Getting all the glue off the cabinet is the tough part. If you use a hair dryer when you start to pell the decal it will make the job much easier. To get the glue off I used Denatured alcohol and a scraper. There are other products but I couldn’t find anything that was any better. Make sure you use gloves and a well ventilated area!
    I did a MB some years ago. Not ready to do another any time soon! Good luck!

The decalals you peeled off were they the original Bally decals or was it a redecaled game. My understanding is the glue on the original black vinyl was very tacky compared to the reproduced decals. Mine that I am peeling off are reproduction decals and I am keeping my fingers. Tossed they don’t leave behind that much glue

#4 5 years ago

They were originals. PITA to get the glue off.

#5 5 years ago

A couple of pics.

E3578031-3785-411B-8D7F-D1D0A592E1BF (resized).jpegE3578031-3785-411B-8D7F-D1D0A592E1BF (resized).jpeg

A53C1A00-3DBC-4159-AE3F-4116EE300DDE (resized).jpegA53C1A00-3DBC-4159-AE3F-4116EE300DDE (resized).jpeg

EF1546EB-28A5-4EF8-B92B-501BA82AEB0F (resized).jpegEF1546EB-28A5-4EF8-B92B-501BA82AEB0F (resized).jpeg

#6 5 years ago

The legs dug into the cabinet so deep that they dug holes that I had to wipe with Bondo. There were a few other nicks and gouges that had to be wiped and sanded. It turned out nice and I used the Metal cabinet protectors, then cut the decals around them so that when the legs were tightened, they didn't try and ripple the decal.

#7 5 years ago

Oh yeah I am familiar with all that. The game I am working on is a T2 was a disaster looks like it was in a bar. I got the original decals off and had to bondo so many knicks and chips sometimes I had to apply two coats of bondo. The decals after came out very nice but I didn’t like the color on them and new better ones became available so I peeled them off last night sanded and primed for the second set

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anybody-removed-cabinet-decals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.