(Topic ID: 272169)

Has anybody had rats eat *JUST* the Wax Twine????

By LyonsRonnie1

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DCRand
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot (62) (resized).png
Screenshot (61) (resized).png
Screenshot (57) (resized).png
Screenshot (59) (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

I'm working on a cool old Gottlieb 'Masquerade" at the moment and it's pretty rough... so I looked inside when I started taking it all apart and it appeared that a tech had unwound all the wax twine or lacing that they put the harnesses together with.

Upon closer inspection, I don't think an operator did it... I think a rat ate it all. They didn't eat any of the wire covering on anything.... but neatly ate all the twine so all the wires have came unbunched. I'm currently working through and ziptieing the harness back together as I check each inch of it for bare wires, but has anybody seen that before? Weirdest thing!

Here's some pictures.

Screenshot (57) (resized).pngScreenshot (59) (resized).pngScreenshot (61) (resized).pngScreenshot (62) (resized).png
#3 1 year ago

Well that's that. Apparently they love wax, who would have thought? I've had a ton of EM's and have seen wires gnawed on before but for whatever reason this is the first time I've seen one with just the wax lacing gone!

#4 1 year ago

Mice prefer not to chew on cloth covered wires. The way the cloth is woven causes it to snag on their teeth. Don't get me wrong those little bastards will eat anything. They would just rather eat those wax strings, plastic insulated wires and paper relay labels. Once they start gnawing on the cloth they usually get tired and move on to something easier before they do too much damage.

I say usually, because I'm sure there is probably somebody out there that had an entire machine stripped to bare wire by a family of them.

#5 1 year ago

Not sure that that is mouse damage. I tend to think human intervention is the culprit.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from wayner:

Not sure that that is mouse damage. I tend to think human intervention is the culprit.

I thought the same thing. I’ve done some of that on my machines and committed the sin of not tying them back.

#7 1 year ago

The ends of them all look frayed like they've been nibbled, and then here or there you'll see a little piece of it still attached with both ends looking nibbled... and the paper stapled to the wood has little nibble marks on it. I thought it had just been unwrapped at first but it appears to me that a mouse ate just the wax twine...

#8 1 year ago

Some waxes and wire coverings like those used in newer Chevy Silverado's are soy based products which mice and squirrels find irresistible and chew it. I know at least 4 people who have had to have their harnesses replaced over this. Soy based waxes have been around a long time and would explain why it is only the waxed twine they're after.

#9 1 year ago

I wish the games that had been rat or mouse chewed had just had the wax ties chewed. In mine, they seemed to love chewing up all the labels as well as nibbling on wires.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside