(Topic ID: 127378)

Has anybody had issues with Xpin displays?

By Push600

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by KingNine
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I bought a set of blue led xpin displays for my newly restored Xenon. Shortly after I installed them I started having issues. Two of the displays didn't work. I have the other three installed.
I left it on and that evening I heard a loud buzzing from the game room.
The game was still on but it was locked up and only the gi and back box lighting was on.
Checked all voltages and narrowed it down to a transistor on the driver board.
I then grabbed a spare board and swapped boards. 20 mins later, same thing.
Any ideas?

#2 8 years ago

what transistor did you narrow it down to?

These LED displays consume lots of 5v rail current. You can have a situation where the game works with plasma displays, but you have 5v problem with LED displays do to the increased load on the logic voltage.

#3 8 years ago

I'm not inside the game right now, but it's the "bottle cap" transistor on the largest heat sink on top of the driver board.

#4 8 years ago

That is the 5v regulator. It powers the computer and your new displays.

Make sure your connectors are in good shape. Specifically the 12v connector pins between the driver board and rectifier board.

#5 8 years ago

I can tell you the only issue I've had is really good service from Brett. Shoot him an email, he's probably got a good idea.

#6 8 years ago

I would repin all connectors in older Ballys, new filter cap as well. Esp when adding pinleds which consume more current.

#7 8 years ago

I just replace the power supply board on any machine before upgrading displays. For $80 - $100 depending on the year its a no brainer for improving voltage issues of many kinds imo.

#8 8 years ago

Just with the foam. The displays have been perfect

#9 8 years ago

I want to weigh in on this one. I have been in communication with PUSH600 and I am just as much a loss with this one as everybody. This design has been in production for years and typically at about 75% max brightness each display draws about 35mA. This would be a first for the 5v regulator to fail on the driver board.

When first developed there were problems with the 5v system, particularly if the driver board was an early rev with the 2A regulator on the board, and resets would occur.

I will continue working with PUSH600 on this problem. I would like to see this resolved as well.

Brett

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from XPinPinball:

I want to weigh in on this one. I have been in communication with PUSH600 and I am just as much a loss with this one as everybody. This design has been in production for years and typically at about 75% max brightness each display draws about 35mA. This would be a first for the 5v regulator to fail on the driver board.
When first developed there were problems with the 5v system, particularly if the driver board was an early rev with the 2A regulator on the board, and resets would occur.
I will continue working with PUSH600 on this problem. I would like to see this resolved as well.
Brett

The issue is probably that orange ground return wire. It burns at both the driver board and the rectifier board. If the OP replaces the connectors pins related the 12v bus and return, replaces C23 and ties the negative lead of this cap to master ground at the driver board, the issue would probably go away. The extra load from the displays is causing more more heat, the resistance goes up on the connector pin, and then the CPU board is not happy when the 5v dips.

I have seen that exact scenario happen with replacement LED displays in a Bally. I can't remember what brand they where.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from XPinPinball:

Brett

Yet another reason I love your displays!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anybody-had-issues-with-xpin-displays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.