(Topic ID: 327784)

Has anybody ever sold a game with "exclusive buyback rights" or ROFR?

By Miguel351

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Miguel351
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Just curious if anybody here has ever sold a game to someone, local or otherwise, with exclusive rights to be first to buy the game back(aka Right of First Refusal)?

I know there are some folks that have an ever-rotating collection and never really keep a game for longer than a year or so. If I were to sell one of my games to a collector like that, I'd like the option to bring it back home, so to speak.

#2 1 year ago

Never. Just a horrible idea. Could turn friends into enemies and enemies into bitter rivals. Just think about how you would enforce such a ridiculous clause.

Don’t sell a game unless you are willing to not care at all what happens to you after you sell it. When you sell a game to someone, you aren’t renting it to them or asking them to babysit it for you, you are selling it.

#3 1 year ago

Sure, I've done it for years. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't for various reasons. Doesn't hurt to ask the buyer when he comes to pick up the game.

John

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just think about how you would enforce such a ridiculous clause.

Would be pretty easy. If the Buyer later decides to sell the pin, he first contacts the Seller and says, “hey, I was thinking of selling for $x. Are you interested?”

The Seller has the option to buy back at that price. If they can’t reach a deal, Buyer is free to sell to others.

I’d be interested to hear others experiences. It seems like half of Pinside operates this way.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from vidguy:

Would be pretty easy. If the Buyer later decides to sell the pin, he first contacts the Seller and says, “hey, I was thinking of selling for $x. Are you interested?”
    The Seller has the option to buy back at that price. If they can’t reach a deal, Buyer is free to sell to others.
    I’d be interested to hear others experiences. It seems like half of Pinside operates this way.

I did years ago on a sale. Really appreciated the offer and felt great two years later but no room. Was nice though.

#6 1 year ago

What good it is if the buyer offers to sell it back to you, but for a million bucks?

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

What good it is if the buyer offers to sell it back to you, but for a million bucks?

Missing the point. Maybe million bucks is market value years later. At least they thought of you first.

Now offering days or weeks later, well that’d be weird.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Never. Just a horrible idea. Could turn friends into enemies and enemies into bitter rivals. Just think about how you would enforce such a ridiculous clause.
    Don’t sell a game unless you are willing to not care at all what happens to you after you sell it. When you sell a game to someone, you aren’t renting it to them or asking them to babysit it for you, you are selling it.

Geez Levi. Lonely world for you on occasion, eh?

#9 1 year ago

Yep. I had an absolutely beautiful, Bally Star Trek. It was meant to be a permanent part of my collection. My best friend saw it and HAD to have it. So I sold it to him, for what I had in it. But.... If EVER he tires of it, I get to buy it back for that same price.

Oh, and it lives in my shop. We share a building for our businesses.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Just curious if anybody here has ever sold a game to someone, local or otherwise, with exclusive rights to be first to buy the game back(aka Right of First Refusal)?
    I know there are some folks that have an ever-rotating collection and never really keep a game for longer than a year or so. If I were to sell one of my games to a collector like that, I'd like the option to bring it back home, so to speak.

One time I sold 2 games, but had second thoughts and wanted to keep one of them (ACDC Luci). I told the buyer I wanted to keep it still, but would still sell it as I had agreed to. Then I asked if he was ever going to sell it, please give me first chance to buy it back.

He told me I wouldn't like the price. Later, he sold the game and never gave me a chance to buy it back anyhow.

Rob

#11 1 year ago

In most cases this is probably fine, but people can get weird with money and competitive pinball sellers markets. Emotions will cloud judgment when someone feels taken advantage of or a perceived agreement doesnt work out.

I've seen feuds firsthand that turned former friends into enemies over a couple hundered bucks flipping games. We've all seen threads here where someone posts about getting "ripped off". Half those threads are basically 2 adults arguing like kids on the playground.

#12 1 year ago

Provided (as the seller asking for ROFR) you are able to separate yourself from any sense of entitlement or fairness about it, I think it could make sense… but only in an informational sense: to let the buyer know it is of interest to you and could make for a quick sale.

But the moment any sort of ‘why didn’t you allow me to…’ or ‘but you only paid me…’ enters into it you will hit the exact scenario CrazyLevi mentioned. If you can keep all that nonsense out of it… why not?

#13 1 year ago

Yes, but just among actual friends. Nothing in writing, but just more of a "hey if you ever sell this give me a call first". I wouldn't do anything like that with people I wasn't close with, too messy.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

One time I sold 2 games, but had second thoughts and wanted to keep one of them (ACDC Luci). I told the buyer I wanted to keep it still, but would still sell it as I had agreed to. Then I asked if he was ever going to sell it, please give me first chance to buy it back.
    He told me I wouldn't like the price. Later, he sold the game and never gave me a chance to buy it back anyhow.
    Rob

...but you're still friends, right?

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

...but you're still friends, right?

I didn't personally know the guy.

#16 1 year ago

It’s all about the class of the buyer/future seller, really.

Sell games to people who really want them, not just people who see a quick buck in it.

Not leaving meat on the bone is a great way to dissuade those types. I don’t sell often, so it doesn’t come up, but I’ve witnessed it and several games in my collection currently have the “ROFR” clause. Doesn’t bother me at all, and I will gladly honor the sellers wishes, because I cannot imagine ever selling the games.
    That’s why I bought them, because I wanted them as permanent pieces in my collection.

If you want good deals and good friends, honoring people’s wishes to have “dibs” is a wise decision. Even better to offer them at a reasonable price, average market or slightly below that.

I’ve seen plenty of cases were people “trade” games for the same prices year over year. Some guys I know recently sold/traded some classic WMS like MM or TZ for $2400, because in a few years they will trade/buy yet another A-title for the same price.

Money can’t buy that kind of trust with a tight knit network of collectors. If the people you are dealing with are of quality, then you would be wise to respect them.

If you’re just in the hobby to squeeze every last dime out of it, and make as much money as possible, obviously this doesn’t apply. Nothing against those people. The hobby will always have the business side, and the old-school collector side.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I’ve seen plenty of cases were people “trade” games for the same prices year over year. Some guys I know recently sold/traded some classic WMS like MM or TZ for $2400, because in a few years they will trade/buy yet another A-title for the same price.

I witnessed this in this hobby as well. B/W A and B titles trading hands at less than half their current market value simply due to trust and knowing that it's not really about the money sometimes.

I can definitely see both sides of the coin, though. Realistically, if I was looking to sell a game that I'd want ROFR on, I'd most likely only sell to a friend/well known Pinsider and there would be terms agreed upon during the sale. Plus, it'd have to be somewhat local, for obvious reasons. But I have no problem at all making the both the sale price and the buyback price whatever the current market value is at the time of transaction. I've had my TAF and TZ for so long now, I would never expect to be able to buy one, let alone one that I personally brought back to life, for the kind of money I paid for mine when I first got them. I've had them both for about ten years, if that's a subtle hint for you on price. I'd never sell them at that price so I wouldn't expect anything like that in the buyback process.

What's interesting is, if I were to be on the other end of that kind of a request, I'm sure I'd not only honor it, but I'd also give the same level of deal that might have been given to me upon purchase. Case in point; I got my TAF from Jim McCune and he gave me a fantastic deal on it because he was so overwhelmed with projects at the time. Plus, he just didn't want to do yet another TAF. If I was to sell it in the future, and he came knocking, I'd be happy to sell it back to him with the same kind of discount off current market value that he gave me. Only fair to return the kindness he showed me so many years ago.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anybody-ever-sold-a-game-with-exclusive-buyback-rights-or-rofr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.