(Topic ID: 14239)

Has anybody built an external room for their pins?

By jar155

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by kwiKimart
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0104121220.jpg
    gameroom.jpg
    gr.png
    gr.png
    #1 12 years ago

I posted this on RGP, but it didn't show up, so if it pops up there later, sorry for the cross post.

I, like many of us, have a bit of a growing problem. I'm to the point where I've taken up my allotted space, the garage, and even some space at some friends' houses. We're getting ready to move now, and as we look at new homes, rarely do we find one that would be able to both house my collection and still keep things comfortable for my growing family.

What I'm thinking of doing is building an external room for my games. I know many people have done this, but I have a few questions for those that have either built their own external game rooms or have insight on the matter.

- Should the building be insulated? I live near Salt Lake City, where it can get real hot in the summer (mostly 90s, but a few 100 degree days) and real cold in the Winter (30s and below), but it's dry weather with very little humidity in the air.
    - Does putting your games outside of the home decrease the frequency you play them?
    - I live in a safe area, but what sort of security is adequate?
    - Any general considerations that I might not be aware of aside from getting a permit?

One of the houses we're looking at seriously has more than enough room to build an external room. There's a full half acre available behind the house, and I've seen other neighbors have built big detached sheds and garages as workshops or storage, so obviously the city doesn't mind.

Any advice would be great!

#2 12 years ago

Good questions. I have a detached garage out back. It is 18x22 room or so. It was dirt floor, open walls, open ceiling. Same weather conditions in NY - 90 - 100 in summer, 30 or below in winter (sometimes 0!).

I ran electricity back there, then had cement floor with dri lock, sheet rock, garage doors to single door conversion, blacklight carpet. Insulation yes - absolutely.

Came out great. For AC, i have a single window, in the summer i put in the AC and run it when i am in there. I run a humidifier at will.

For winter, i have a wall electric heater - heats up the room fast enough. SOMETIMES i leave the room with the thing going - my only gripe. Room gets really hot, no problems yet.

No regrets. I play just about the same. Its a nice retreat and great for parties.

#3 12 years ago

In an 18x22 room, how many machines can fit in there?

#4 12 years ago

This thread has great potential for some awesome gameroom pics

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

My guess would be 14 to 16 pins all depending on how your doors open up into the room.

#6 12 years ago

I posted a related question a few weeks back. Have a read; there were some good suggestions.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/garage-gameroom-ideas-for-cold-climates

My big concern would be temperature changes and what that would do to the wood in your games. Before long you might start to notice inserts lifting and cracking due to expansion and contraction of the PF. If I went ahead with this project, I would need to ensure I could install something that would maintain a relatively constant climate year round.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from pin-tastic:

jar155 said:In an 18x22 room, how many machines can fit in there?
    My guess would be 14 to 16 pins all depending on how your doors open up into the room.

Remember you have to slide glass in an out of your games! My garage is a single car and likely the same size. I don't see how I can get more than 8-10 games in there MAX!

#8 12 years ago

Here is MNpinball's place, I am sure he could provide some insight on building an external building for pins. Someday I may be able to make a mecca such as this. Da Ruf is on fire!!

http://www.pinballmadness.net/collections/main.php?g2_itemId=480

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

One thing that I would add, or reiterate, is that althugh you can fit X number of machines in a space, remember that you will want some elbow room for when you need to pull one of them apart (ie. shop out, playfield swap or cabinet decals), and that invariably you will probably need room for one or two more on a short term basis (eg. a friends machine on loan, a deal you can't pass up, etc.)

I got lucky with my "external room", and I think that I catch less grief from my wife beacuse of it.

Happy house hunting.

#10 12 years ago

Sorry! 10x18 is the room size. Thinking of something else when i typed.

Still enough. I use google Sketchup to map out the room. They have vid and pin models to add in, so i get exact line up before i add a game. Couldnt live without especially since i have vids too.

Pins - I can fit 8 in, with way to remove glass no problem.

Right now though, i have 4 vids in the back (one of them is a Star Wars cockpit) and fit 4 pins in the front. I can fit 5 pins, but, decided not to because it kills the "open" feel of the room.

Use google sketchup - awesome tool. By the way - dont have two taxis / two Spidermans / two dragons lairs - just a way to fill the spot without having to find the exact Pin i have.

gr.pnggr.png

#11 12 years ago

Still enough. I use google Sketchup to map out the room. They have vid and pin models to add in, so i get exact line up before i add a game. Couldnt live without especially since i have vids too.

Right now though, i have 4 vids in the back (one of them is a Star Wars cockpit) and fit 4 pins in the front. I can fit 5 pins (see pic), but, decided not to because it kills the "open" feel of the room.

Use google sketchup - awesome tool.

gr.pnggr.png

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Here is MNpinball's place

Shazaam! for the third time today. What a room..errr...castle! Last pic was in 2009 though. We need an update! I hereby make a formal request for at least one updated pic from mnpinball, and btw, I love the door shot .

2 weeks later
    #13 12 years ago

Bigpin, where did you get the pinball components for Sketchup?

#14 12 years ago

I built a 12x20 shop out back. Fully insulated, carpeted, both heat and a/c. Combo lock on the door. Holds 9 pins comfortably. Cost about $9000

#15 12 years ago

If your buying a home (like i just did, my x wife wanted my 1st home) just buy one that fits you to the T. I looked at about 100 homes b4 I found my house. I new what I wanted bc I have owned b4. So when I fill up my main game room (pic below) my house has a 2,000 sq ft basement with 9ft ceilings. I will have window treatments soon so dont make fun.

gameroom.jpggameroom.jpg

#16 12 years ago

I will hopefully use part of my parent's garage as my pin room before they kick me out.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bigpin:

Right now though, i have

Right now though, i have 4 vids in the back (one of them is a Star Wars cockpit) and fit 4 pins in the front. </That is awesome.

Right now though, i have 4 vids in the back (one of them is a Star Wars cockpit) and fit 4 pins in the front. I can fit 5 pins

That's your problem. You have 4 too many vids.

#18 12 years ago

Hey JAR- you might remember you picked up a sheet of glass for our RFM a couple years back from a colorado show for us, we live up weber canyon from you. Thank you again, by the way. Anyway, we built a 16x24 appx. room tacked on back of our garage. It has cement floor, insulated, heated by 2 electric wall heaters...... There are 16 pins in there. It is not fancy, I'll try to put a picture here......

0104121220.jpg0104121220.jpg

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

I will have window treatments soon so dont make fun.

It always amazes me how many pictures of nice machines I see online, just left to fry in the sunlight.
    I get really sad/angry for some reason, kinda like seeing a dog stuck in a sweltering car with the windows slightly cracked.

All of the NIB's I ever purchased haven't ever seen the light of day! (to my knowledge, that is! )

As for the external gameroom...
    That will be next summer's project for sure! My plan is to convert my covered patio into a modest pin-cade.
    I never use it as it sits now, so why the hell not make it more inviting when guests come to visit?!?
    Hopefully (doing the math) I can squeeze 8 machines comfortably into the proposed space.
    Fingers crossed it will all pan out for the cost of one routed T3, since I will be doing all of the work myself.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

As for the external gameroom...
    That will be next summer's project for sure! My plan is to convert my covered patio into a modest pin-cade.

Sounds awesome NP. I'll come over when it's done. Just don't play any ska at the party, as I am a good skanker.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anybody-built-an-external-room-for-their-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.